New breakthrough in cancer treatment

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Cancer patient recovers after injection of immune cells

A cancer patient has made a full recovery after being injected with billions of his own immune cells in the first case of its kind, doctors have disclosed.
The 52-year-old, who was suffering from advanced skin cancer, was free from tumours within eight weeks of undergoing the procedure.

After two years he is still free from the disease which had spread to his lymph nodes and one of his lungs.

Doctors took cells from the man's own defence system that were found to attack the cancer cells best, cloned them and injected back into his body, in a process known as "immunotherapy". After two years he is still free from the disease which had spread to his lymph nodes and one of his lungs.

Experts said that the case could mark a landmark in the treatment of cancer.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/06/18/scicanc118.xml

Here's hoping.

a friend of mine was treated for skin cancer last year (successfully). wouldn't it be wonderful if what has happened in this article is a new way forward?

sadly, it is, as to be expected, expensive. and there is tons more research needed into its effectiveness, but onward and upward, says i. :woohoo:

This sounds very much like what a friend of ours is going through literally RIGHT NOW. He is at MD Anderson being treated for Hodgkins Lymphoma. After 3 rounds of chemo, they gave him something to make him produce extra white blood cells. Yesterday he had apheresis (sp?), where they harvest those cells.

In a few weeks he will have a massive dose of chemo to kill any cancer that is left, which will also kill off his white blood cells. Then they will give him back his own white blood cells, which will help him recover and heal. According to the doctors it has a very high success rate.

I pray every day that they are right. It has been fascinating listening to him talk about his treatment. He is very involved and educated, as I suppose you must be these days. I love hearing about all these possibilities against such a horrific disease.

This sounds very much like what a friend of ours is going through literally RIGHT NOW. He is at MD Anderson being treated for Hodgkins Lymphoma. After 3 rounds of chemo, they gave him something to make him produce extra white blood cells. Yesterday he had apheresis (sp?), where they harvest those cells.

In a few weeks he will have a massive dose of chemo to kill any cancer that is left, which will also kill off his white blood cells. Then they will give him back his own white blood cells, which will help him recover and heal. According to the doctors it has a very high success rate.

I pray every day that they are right. It has been fascinating listening to him talk about his treatment. He is very involved and educated, as I suppose you must be these days. I love hearing about all these possibilities against such a horrific disease.

I have every hope for your friend's recovery.

i agree i love hearing of new possibilities in the fight against all cancers. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back