Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AZ - Coconino County - "Valentine Sally" 585UFAZ, 14-19, Feb 1982

AZ - Coconino County - "Valentine Sally" 585UFAZ, 14-19, Feb 1982

Unidentified Female

• The victim was discovered on February 14, 1982 11 miles west of Williams, Cococino County, Arizona
    • Estimated Date of Death: February 4, 1982

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 14-19 years old
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'-6"; 120 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair. 3 moles above right breast, 1 mole upper left leg, left ear pierced.
    • Dentals: Available. Tooth #19 (lower left molar)had been drilled in preparation for a root canal approximately one week prior to death.
    • Clothing: Red & white, horizontal striped, pullover sweater; Designer blue jeans, "Seasons" brand, size 9, bra size 36C.
    • Fingerprints: Available
    • DNA: Available

Case History
    The victim was located 11 miles west of Williams, AZ on Interstate 40.
    She was possibly last seen at Monte Carlo Truck Stop in Ashfork, AZ in early morning hours of February 4, 1982.
    http://doenetwork.org/cases/585ufaz.html
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-06-2012 at 04:47 PM.

She looks a little like Melinda Creech doesn't she?

I wonder if they ever tried to contact all dentists living at that time in the state to see if they had any female patients who never showed up for that root canal. A lot of work I know, but I wonder if they ever did that.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthrobones For This Useful Post:

The girl, identified as Melody Eugene Cutlip in 1984

Body identified
    . after two years
    FLAGSTAFF. Ariz. (AP) —
    After a sheriffs deputy spent 1.000
    hours on spare-time sleuthing,
    authorities finally know the name
    of a 16-year-old girl whose body
    was found under a tree on Valentine's
    Day 1982. '
    Now they hope to learn who beat
    the Florida runaway to death.
    "We need to establish who she'
    was with and where," Coconino
    County Sheriff Joe Richards said
    Friday.
    The girl, identified as Melody
    Eugene Cutlip, was believed to
    have been in the company of truckers
    at a truck stop at Ash Fork,
    about 50 miles west of Flagstaff on
    I-*). Richards said. "She was probably
    killed in the truck and
    dumped in the area where she was
    found," off Interstate 10, he said
    There was no identification with
    the body and no name for the
    marker when she was buried as an
    indigent.
    But Sheriffs Lt. Jack J jdd'spent
    more than 1,000 hours of his spare
    time trying to identify the girl.
    sending out more than 1.650 teletype
    messages to other law-enforcement
    agencies.
    Judd worked with a Flagstaff
    dentist in comparing dental information
    on missing girls, and he
    persuaded the owner of the truck
    stop to put up fliers and query
    truckers who stopped.
    Positive identification ended up
    being made through a New Mexico
    forensic odontologist'i comparison
    of the victim's teeth..

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobe...howtopic=11907

Hope I don't break any rules.. I just happen to remember this case.... Now us work to put these people did this behind bar's... Thank's wv171
    Last edited by wv171; 06-21-2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Add

Dr. Homer Campbell
    Board Certified Forensic Odontologist
    Office of the Medical Investigator, New Mexico
    bio: http://omi.unm.edu/bios.html

In one case, Dr. Campbell claimed to identify to a medical certainty the body of Melody Cutlip; the real Melody Cutlip was later found alive and well in Florida.
    Dr. Campbell has also testified beyond the limits of acceptable science in his field, stating in court that bite marks matched to a reasonable degree of medical or dental certainty.
    Bio: Dr. Campell is an active member of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences and also a past president.

http://www.corpus-delicti.com/forensic_mis.html

I'm confused. Did they actually identify her or make a mistake? Why is the Doe still on Doe Network?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anthrobones For This Useful Post:

Tell you the truth Anthrobones I really don't know, I hope you don't mind and I give you and Websleuths credit for that new infromation you have found, And I post it on Porchlight and we see what we can come up with...
    I am a Mod over on Porchlight and I see if I can bring some new interest on this old case..

Really I know my main goal is put a name on this poor victim and bring her low life murder's to justice and I don't care who do it.. Just as long as justice is served on this case, I hope this is your main goal too...

On Our post on Porchlight all our main infromation came from Coconino Sheriffs Department..And Syracuse Herald-American The Post-Standard .. We don't have nothing from Doe Network posted at this time of my post.. Our last post was on Sept. 16, 2006 - 02:05 PM ,

Myself I be looking forward working with you and your wonderfull team on Websleuths on this case and hopefully 1 of your or our members with find that small piece of infromation to slove this case..

Thank You.

Link to our Porchlight post on this case.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobe...pic=11907&st=0&

Hi there. Thanks for posting this. If she is truly not identified, I don't understand why they could not try to contact dentists in the state (not that she's necessarily from AZ). It is also interesting that she was wearing designer jeans. Perhaps she was from a well-to-do family?

You completely right... Not many people will go around in life with Tooth #19 (lower left molar)had been drilled in preparation for a root canal approximately one week prior to death.

Somewhere in some office is dental information that would slove this case... Kind of looked to me LE would put that infromation in some Dental Trade papers or other outlet's that attract that type of professsion..

It still might not be too late, That would make a wonderfull mystery short read story...

Do your group have anybody in that profession???
    Last edited by wv171; 06-21-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling

AZ - UID Female 585UFAZ, Williams, Feb 1982 to: CA- Cheryl Hall, 28, Los Angles, 1981

Hi, I have a possible match for the following UID case. below is a link to the case from the "Cold Cases" forum. This girl was falsely identified in 1984 as a woman who was later found alive in Florida:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...hlight=585UFAZ

Unidentified Female

The victim was discovered on February 14, 1982 11 miles west of Williams, Cococino County, Arizona
    Estimated Date of Death: February 4, 1982

Vital Statistics
    Estimated age: 14-19 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'-6"; 120 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair. 3 moles above right breast, 1 mole upper left leg, left ear pierced.
    Dentals: Available. Tooth #19 (lower left molar)had been drilled in preparation for a root canal approximately one week prior to death.
    Clothing: Red & white, horizontal striped, pullover sweater; Designer blue jeans, "Seasons" brand, size 9, bra size 36C.
    Fingerprints: Available
    DNA: Available

Case History
    She was possibly last seen at Monte Carlo Truck Stop in Ashfork, AZ in early morning hours of February 4, 1982.

Investigators
    If you have any information about this case please contact:
    Coconino County Sheriff's Office
    Detective Chuck Jones
    928-226-5033
    You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
    82-11000

NCIC Number:
    U-214162293
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/585ufaz.html

I matched her with Cheryl Lynn Hall. To me it looks so obvious as to make me think she had to have already been ruled out. what do you guys think?
    not much is known about Cheryl's disappearance other than what is on charley project - I googled her and didn't find anything.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hall_cheryl.html

(I will post pics side by side once I can figure out the code for posting images!)
    Some people do crossword puzzles or Soduko in their spare time...I look at skeletal reconstructions and work on UID puzzles. I swear I'm not this morbid in person!

Help Fred Murray find his daughter and bring her home. He should not be walking those woods alone!
    What Happened to Maura Murray? http://www.mauramurraymissing.com

Looks like a possible match!

Our UID is not Melody Cutlip.

Melody is not our UID. She did sadly die in 1998 in a car accident in Louisiana at the young age of 32. Here is a copy of the obituary.

007227 Cutlip - Melody Eugenia Cutlip, A Customer Service Representative For Budget Rent-A-Car, Died Friday Of Injuries Suffered In A Traffic Accident In Kenner. She Was 32. Ms. Cutlip Was Born In Tampa, Fla., And Lived In Jefferson Parish For The Past 10 Years. Survivors Include Her FiancÚ, Harold Buras;Her Mother, Edith Freeman Of Floral City, Fla.; Two Brothers, Thomas And Joseph Freeman, Both Of Floral City; And Four Sisters, Carla Worrell And Christiana, Deborah And Martha Freeman, All Of Floral City. A Graveside Service Will Be Held Friday At 1:30 P.M. At Restlawn Park On U.S. 90 In Avondale. Professional Funeral Services Is In Charge Of Arrangements. 09-17-1998 Times Picayune

Notice the spelling of her middle name. it's Eugenia, and she was born in Tampa FL and was of the right age to be the woman considered our UID. I am also including the link where I found it.
    http://files.usgwarchives.net/la/orleans/obits/1/c-25.txt

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Franzeo For This Useful Post:

2 Articles About Melody.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Franzeo View Post
    yes, I know this. if you had read the whole thread, you would have seen that I noted that this UID was originally misidentified as her. I want to know what the forum thinks for a match to Cheryl Hall, who's profile I linked to at the bottom of the message.
    Some people do crossword puzzles or Soduko in their spare time...I look at skeletal reconstructions and work on UID puzzles. I swear I'm not this morbid in person!

Help Fred Murray find his daughter and bring her home. He should not be walking those woods alone!
    What Happened to Maura Murray? http://www.mauramurraymissing.com

Looks like a good match by appearances.
    "The opinion prevailed among advanced minds that it was time that belief should be replaced increasingly by knowledge; belief that did not itself rest on knowledge was superstition, and as such had to be opposed." - Albert Einstein

MadeaBecBec is offline "The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate it."
    I don't mind doing the side by side photos, especially when they look so close! I hope you have already notified both Investigators on this one! Also, it's pretty easy to "upload" your photos, you just gotta scroll down to additional options and click on manage attachments, then browse and upload your photos from your files, but be sure to click on the submit reply under additional options, when you do!! It had me a bit crazy when I first started trying to post an image!!
    Here's your side by side:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never forget the three powerful resources you always have available to you: love, prayer, and forgiveness. H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

What about the difference in age. The UID is estimated to be 14-19, and Cheryl would have been almost 29.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Looking forward to going to Barcelona

AZ- Valentine Sally

Who is she? Do you know anyone who has been missing since 1982 maybe before? She could have hitched a ride with a trucker, maybe hitchhiked as far as AZ.
    Please look again. A family must be missing her.

The Doe Network:

Case File 585UFAZ

Reconstruction of Victim
    Unidentified Female

• The victim was discovered on February 14, 1982 11 miles west of Williams, Cococino County, Arizona
    • Estimated Date of Death: February 4, 1982
    Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 14-19 years old
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'-6"; 120 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair. 3 moles above right breast, 1 mole upper left leg, left ear pierced.
    • Dentals: Available. Tooth #19 (lower left molar)had been drilled in preparation for a root canal approximately one week prior to death.
    • Clothing: Red & white, horizontal striped, pullover sweater; Designer blue jeans, "Seasons" brand, size 9, bra size 36C.
    • Fingerprints: Available
    • DNA: Available
    Case History

Investigators
    If you have any information about this case please contact:
    Detective Chuck Jones
    928-226-5033
    You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
    82-11000

NCIC Number:
    U-214162293
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-06-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    "The answers are out there... but who has 'em?"

I am looking for a few good sleuthers to help Missie find her sister--please, please, please bring your fresh ideas!!

Deanna Merryfield:
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58438

Is She or Isn't She?

Has anyone contacted the sheriff's office with this possible match. Has she been ruled out?

Even with the age differences, the question still is; does anyone have information that they contacted LE and they have looked at, investigated and ruled her out?

Nothing is more frustrating than to do this over and over again with matches but no one submitts them or if they have no one posted if they were ruled out.

I know there is an active cold case unit in Flagstaff at the Coconino Sheriff's office and local newspaper reporter, Larry Hendricks is interested look here:
    http://azdailysun.com/news/article_c...957283781.html

Let's get this one going either she is or she isn't.

Hello Talelights. Would this thread be better served in the unidentified thread? I'd be happy to move it over if so.

~Summer

Great idea Summer, that way maybe twice the coverage. thanks

Cheryl Lynn Hall has been mentioned so often in relation to this case that I would be surprised if LE has not already checked her out. But I wouldn't presume that she has. A lot of people on this board bring up good possibles without ever calling them in.

Here is another possibility:

Dena Viola McHan

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mchan_dena.html

The time-frame is a little long, but her height and age are in range, and her weight is pretty close. The geography is not too bad considering that she was on the road when she was killed.

Also, she was wearing a white pullover sweater and designer jeans when she disappeared. VJD was wearing a red and white striped pullover sweater and designer jeans. Probably not the same pullover sweater, but at least they have the same fashion sense.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-06-2012 at 04:49 PM.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Another thing about Cheryl Lynn Hall - is that three days after this CLH went missing from LA, another Cheryl Lynn Hall was killed at her Chicago area home. That crime is still unsolved. That's probably no more than a macabre coincidence but might confuse a skeptical cold case investigator with a heavy caseload.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cymro For This Useful Post:

I phoned in to Detective Chuck Jones of the Coconino County Sheriff's Office and left him a message asking to confirm whether Dena McHan has been eliminated.

I also asked him to confirm whether Cheryl Lynn Hall has been eliminated. I indicated that although her resemblance to VS is striking, her age was well out of range.

BTW, It doesn't look like Valentine Sally has a NamUs file.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 02-16-2010 at 04:11 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Chuck Jones called me back. He was a quite chatty guy, and we spoke for about a half hour.

He indicated that Dena McHan was ruled out by default by CODIS. However, he wasn't able to tell me whether Cheryl Lynn Hall was ruled out or not. He doesn't have a rule-out list on this UID like he has with some other cases, and the case file is too large to check out while he was on the phone, but he didn't remember hearing her name. He is going to contact the L.A. County Sheriff to see what he can find out about CLH, and he will e-mail me back to let me know what what he finds out.

Regarding Valentine Sally, he spoke for quite a while about her case. He says that they don't know her cause of death, only that she was murdered. Evidence indicates that she was pulled out of the sleeper cab of a truck by her belt loops, and her sweater was pulled up over her head from being dragged by the arms. She was left under a cypress tree only a few feet off of the shoulder of the road. She had been dead for several days, and by the time she was found, her face had been badly picked at by animals. The area where she was found was at a long incline where trucks frequently stop to cool their brakes, so nobody would have paid much attention to a truck stopped at that point in the highway.

When I mentioned that CLH might be too old to look at as a possible, he said not at all. Their estimates have her at 16 to 22, although there is nothing to absolutely rule out that she might have been older. When I mentioned DoeNet's estimate of 14 to 19, he said that he should have DoeNet change that because there is no way that she was as young as 14.

He also said that he believes that the forensic sketch is pretty accurate. They had a witness - a waitress who served VS and the likely perp in a coffee shop. She said that the forensic sketch looked very much like the woman, and she also gave a pretty good description of the perp. They are sure that the waitress was talking about the same person because VS didn't want anything to eat at the cafe because she had a bad toothache. All she wanted was an aspirin and water. They learned later after the autopsy that VS had a uncompleted root canal.

He went on about a bunch more, but I think I'll leave it at that. I could be here all afternoon trying to summarize what he said.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 02-16-2010 at 07:44 PM.

32. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast