Identified! AZ - Coconino Co, 'Valentine Sally' WhtFem 585UFAZ, 14-19, along I-40, Feb'82 -Carolyn Celeste Eaton

anthrobones

Reaction score
Unidentified Female

2368069880045078242S200x200Q851_zps833434af.jpg

• The victim was discovered on February 14, 1982 11 miles west of Williams, Cococino County, Arizona
  • Estimated Date of Death: February 4, 1982
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 14-19 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'-6"; 120 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair. 3 moles above right breast, 1 mole upper left leg, left ear pierced.
  • Dentals: Available. Tooth #19 (lower left molar)had been drilled in preparation for a root canal approximately one week prior to death.
  • Clothing: Red & white, horizontal striped, pullover sweater; Designer blue jeans, "Seasons" brand, size 9, bra size 36C.
  • Fingerprints: Available
  • DNA: Available
Case History
The victim was located 11 miles west of Williams, AZ on Interstate 40.
She was possibly last seen at Monte Carlo Truck Stop in Ashfork, AZ in early morning hours of February 4, 1982.
http://doenetwork.org/cases/585ufaz.html

I wonder if they ever tried to contact all dentists living at that time in the state to see if they had any female patients who never showed up for that root canal. A lot of work I know, but I wonder if they ever did that.

The girl, identified as Melody Eugene Cutlip in 1984

Body identified
. after two years
FLAGSTAFF. Ariz. (AP) —
After a sheriffs deputy spent 1.000
hours on spare-time sleuthing,
authorities finally know the name
of a 16-year-old girl whose body
was found under a tree on Valentine's
Day 1982. '
Now they hope to learn who beat
the Florida runaway to death.
"We need to establish who she'
was with and where," Coconino
County Sheriff Joe Richards said
Friday.
The girl, identified as Melody
Eugene Cutlip, was believed to
have been in the company of truckers
at a truck stop at Ash Fork,
about 50 miles west of Flagstaff on
I-*). Richards said. "She was probably
killed in the truck and
dumped in the area where she was
found," off Interstate 10, he said
There was no identification with
the body and no name for the
marker when she was buried as an
indigent.
But Sheriffs Lt. Jack J jdd'spent
more than 1,000 hours of his spare
time trying to identify the girl.
sending out more than 1.650 teletype
messages to other law-enforcement
agencies.
Judd worked with a Flagstaff
dentist in comparing dental information
on missing girls, and he
persuaded the owner of the truck
stop to put up fliers and query
truckers who stopped.
Positive identification ended up
being made through a New Mexico
forensic odontologist'i comparison
of the victim's teeth..

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=11907

Hope I don't break any rules.. I just happen to remember this case.... Now us work to put these people did this behind bar's... Thank's wv171

Dr. Homer Campbell
Board Certified Forensic Odontologist
Office of the Medical Investigator, New Mexico
bio: http://omi.unm.edu/bios.html

In one case, Dr. Campbell claimed to identify to a medical certainty the body of Melody Cutlip; the real Melody Cutlip was later found alive and well in Florida.
Dr. Campbell has also testified beyond the limits of acceptable science in his field, stating in court that bite marks matched to a reasonable degree of medical or dental certainty.
Bio: Dr. Campell is an active member of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences and also a past president.

http://www.corpus-delicti.com/forensic_mis.html

I'm confused. Did they actually identify her or make a mistake? Why is the Doe still on Doe Network?

Tell you the truth Anthrobones I really don't know, I hope you don't mind and I give you and Websleuths credit for that new infromation you have found, And I post it on Porchlight and we see what we can come up with...
I am a Mod over on Porchlight and I see if I can bring some new interest on this old case..

Really I know my main goal is put a name on this poor victim and bring her low life murder's to justice and I don't care who do it.. Just as long as justice is served on this case, I hope this is your main goal too...

On Our post on Porchlight all our main infromation came from Coconino Sheriffs Department..And Syracuse Herald-American The Post-Standard .. We don't have nothing from Doe Network posted at this time of my post.. Our last post was on Sept. 16, 2006 - 02:05 PM ,

Myself I be looking forward working with you and your wonderfull team on Websleuths on this case and hopefully 1 of your or our members with find that small piece of infromation to slove this case..

Thank You.

Link to our Porchlight post on this case.

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=11907&st=0&

Hi there. Thanks for posting this. If she is truly not identified, I don't understand why they could not try to contact dentists in the state (not that she's necessarily from AZ). It is also interesting that she was wearing designer jeans. Perhaps she was from a well-to-do family?

You completely right... Not many people will go around in life with Tooth #19 (lower left molar)had been drilled in preparation for a root canal approximately one week prior to death.

Somewhere in some office is dental information that would slove this case... Kind of looked to me LE would put that infromation in some Dental Trade papers or other outlet's that attract that type of professsion..

It still might not be too late, That would make a wonderfull mystery short read story...

Do your group have anybody in that profession???

Hi, I have a possible match for the following UID case. below is a link to the case from the "Cold Cases" forum. This girl was falsely identified in 1984 as a woman who was later found alive in Florida:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66335&highlight=585UFAZ

Unidentified Female

The victim was discovered on February 14, 1982 11 miles west of Williams, Cococino County, Arizona
Estimated Date of Death: February 4, 1982

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 14-19 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'-6"; 120 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair. 3 moles above right breast, 1 mole upper left leg, left ear pierced.
Dentals: Available. Tooth #19 (lower left molar)had been drilled in preparation for a root canal approximately one week prior to death.
Clothing: Red & white, horizontal striped, pullover sweater; Designer blue jeans, "Seasons" brand, size 9, bra size 36C.
Fingerprints: Available
DNA: Available

Case History
She was possibly last seen at Monte Carlo Truck Stop in Ashfork, AZ in early morning hours of February 4, 1982.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Coconino County Sheriff's Office
Detective Chuck Jones
928-226-5033
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
82-11000

NCIC Number:
U-214162293
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/585ufaz.html

I matched her with Cheryl Lynn Hall. To me it looks so obvious as to make me think she had to have already been ruled out. what do you guys think?
not much is known about Cheryl's disappearance other than what is on charley project - I googled her and didn't find anything.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hall_cheryl.html

(I will post pics side by side once I can figure out the code for posting images!)

Melody is not our UID. She did sadly die in 1998 in a car accident in Louisiana at the young age of 32. Here is a copy of the obituary.

007227 Cutlip - Melody Eugenia Cutlip, A Customer Service Representative For Budget Rent-A-Car, Died Friday Of Injuries Suffered In A Traffic Accident In Kenner. She Was 32. Ms. Cutlip Was Born In Tampa, Fla., And Lived In Jefferson Parish For The Past 10 Years. Survivors Include Her Fiancé, Harold Buras;Her Mother, Edith Freeman Of Floral City, Fla.; Two Brothers, Thomas And Joseph Freeman, Both Of Floral City; And Four Sisters, Carla Worrell And Christiana, Deborah And Martha Freeman, All Of Floral City. A Graveside Service Will Be Held Friday At 1:30 P.M. At Restlawn Park On U.S. 90 In Avondale. Professional Funeral Services Is In Charge Of Arrangements. 09-17-1998 Times Picayune

Notice the spelling of her middle name. it's Eugenia, and she was born in Tampa FL and was of the right age to be the woman considered our UID. I am also including the link where I found it.
http://files.usgwarchives.net/la/orleans/obits/1/c-25.txt

yes, I know this. if you had read the whole thread, you would have seen that I noted that this UID was originally misidentified as her. I want to know what the forum thinks for a match to Cheryl Hall, who's profile I linked to at the bottom of the message.

I don't mind doing the side by side photos, especially when they look so close! I hope you have already notified both Investigators on this one! Also, it's pretty easy to "upload" your photos, you just gotta scroll down to additional options and click on manage attachments, then browse and upload your photos from your files, but be sure to click on the submit reply under additional options, when you do!! It had me a bit crazy when I first started trying to post an image!!
Here's your side by side:

Attachments

• 585UFAZ and Cheryl Lynn Hall.jpg
    585UFAZ and Cheryl Lynn Hall.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 429
What about the difference in age. The UID is estimated to be 14-19, and Cheryl would have been almost 29.

Who is she? Do you know anyone who has been missing since 1982 maybe before? She could have hitched a ride with a trucker, maybe hitchhiked as far as AZ.
Please look again. A family must be missing her.

The Doe Network:

Case File 585UFAZ
585UFAZ.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim
Unidentified Female

• [*]The victim was discovered on February 14, 1982 11 miles west of Williams, Cococino County, Arizona
    [*]Estimated Date of Death: February 4, 1982
Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 14-19 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" - 5'-6"; 120 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Blonde hair. 3 moles above right breast, 1 mole upper left leg, left ear pierced.
    [*]Dentals: Available. Tooth #19 (lower left molar)had been drilled in preparation for a root canal approximately one week prior to death.
    [*]Clothing: Red & white, horizontal striped, pullover sweater; Designer blue jeans, "Seasons" brand, size 9, bra size 36C.
    [*]Fingerprints: Available
    [*]DNA: Available
Case History

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Detective Chuck Jones
928-226-5033
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number:
82-11000

NCIC Number:
U-214162293
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

Has anyone contacted the sheriff's office with this possible match. Has she been ruled out?

Even with the age differences, the question still is; does anyone have information that they contacted LE and they have looked at, investigated and ruled her out?

Nothing is more frustrating than to do this over and over again with matches but no one submitts them or if they have no one posted if they were ruled out.

I know there is an active cold case unit in Flagstaff at the Coconino Sheriff's office and local newspaper reporter, Larry Hendricks is interested look here:
http://azdailysun.com/news/article_c427901d-a310-5185-8fac-e6b957283781.html

Let's get this one going either she is or she isn't.

Hello Talelights. Would this thread be better served in the unidentified thread? I'd be happy to move it over if so.

~Summer

Great idea Summer, that way maybe twice the coverage. thanks

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy