752 users online (108 members and 644 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GA - Clinic held patient captive, Duluth

A Duluth doctor and two assistants were indicted for imprisoning a patient who they feared wouldn't pay.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...ge_tab_newstab

I had this happen to me at a car dealership one time when I'd come thisclose to signing on a car and then wanted to back out. Long story short I went into great detail about my (then) husband's arms collection and the eight salesmen finally stepped away from the door.

But a doctor's office????! That's insane. This woman sounds like one of my daughters. They wouldn't have enough street savvy to stand up to someone in a position of authority that would tell them they "HAD" to pay before they could leave. Of course then mom would be arriving, but it's a medical office so they could treat themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by FLMom View Post
    I had this happen to me at a car dealership one time when I'd come thisclose to signing on a car and then wanted to back out. Long story short I went into great detail about my (then) husband's arms collection and the eight salesmen finally stepped away from the door.

But a doctor's office????! That's insane. This woman sounds like one of my daughters. They wouldn't have enough street savvy to stand up to someone in a position of authority that would tell them they "HAD" to pay before they could leave. Of course then mom would be arriving, but it's a medical office so they could treat themselves.
    I was surprised when I saw the article as I have been to that doctor before and had a bad experience. I never went back and I was very po'd when I left and told the patients waiting about it.

First of all, they did take my drivers license and my credit card up front. I thought they were going to make a copy of it and hand it back but they didn't. I asked and they said it was office procedure to hold it until after the appt. I had an eye infection and needed an antibiotic so I didn't think I would be long and I would be out shortly.

The office visit was routine as I already knew what I had going in. I was leaving and asked where my prescription was. They said I could buy the meds there...OK...save me some time.

Well, they sold me samples....The boxes clearly said NOT FOR RESALE. I then got scared and wanted out of there quickly. Charged me over 200.00 dollars for the visit and the NOT FOR RESALE scripts. I was worried about getting my identity stolen at that point.

I am so excited they are indicted as this stuff has gone on for years. It happened to the lady in 2007 and me in about 2004 so think how many others have been ripped.

Concernedperson, what an awful experience. You should report your experience to the detectives handling this case. He should be nailed for prescription fraud. I bet he isn't licensed to sell controlled substances. And he sold meds he didn't pay for. Big NO NO!!! In another article it says this lady went back and paid her bill. Sad!

I find the comments interesting. One poster brings up a good point that bait and swith is illegal. And I highly doubt a doctors office can do anything in one visit that would cost 650.00. I'd have to wonder what kind of billing practices this guy had. Fraudulent Medicaid billing comes to mind. If his books are looked at he might end up in worse trouble than hes already is in.

It appears that the good doc has kidnapped other patients. A locking exit door? Scary! I'm sure that's against firecode! Below is a comment from a poster at AJC.com

By KL
    Jun 20, 2008 6:42 PM | Link to this
    I had a similar humiliating experience at Peachtree City family medicine clinic. I had an appointment for treatment of a sinus infection, paid my insurance co-pay upon arrival and waited for 2 hours for the physician. In the meantime, several pharmaceutical representatives came and left the office. I was sick, feeling miserable and told the clinic staff I needed to leave for family reasons. Fifteen minutes later, still no sign of the physician. I tried to leave the clinic, but the exit door was locked and I could only exit if the front desk staff ýbuzzed me outý. The front desk staff refused to let me leave. I was told the doctor would be angry with them if I left the clinic before being seen by her. There was no other reason for me to be held against my will. For ten minutes I asked for the staff to let me go and I became more dismayed, tearful and angry. I was so disrespected and my rights of freedom were dishonored. I called the police in Peachtree City and I was told there was nothing they could do. I no longer see this physician, but I know for a fact, as of today, they still lock the exit door which is only controlled by front desk staff.

Here is the good doc listed at RateMDs.com. I'm sure the positive ratings were from the good doc himself or his staff. And I have to believe the complaints because the sound just like what Concernedperson went through. Good lord the charges could really start to rack up for this guy. Kidnapping, illegal distribution of a controlled substance, insurance fraud, bait and switch, health and fire code violations.....

http://www.ratemds.com/social/?q=node/28873&did=28266

Whoa! A grand jury handed down the charges.

http://www.610wtvn.com/cc-common/new...rticle=3857807

A grand jury handed down an indictment this week naming Dr. John Drew Laurusonis and his office assistants at Doctors Medical Center in Duluth, Ga., The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. They were charged with false imprisonment.

Doctors Medical Center
    3455 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, Suite 110
    Duluth, Georgia 30096

http://www.realpagessites.com/doctor...ter/index.html

http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3713527900

Worst place ever

By Michael S.
    For legal reasons I cannot tell what happend there. But if you e-mail me at (redacted) I will tell you the whole story. But it ended up with me paying for my mom to go to rehab 2 times to kick pain killers

Posted 07/05/07

Concerned person - I would contact LE and tell them your story. You absolutely, cannot sell sample products and you can't hold anyone captive!!

Angry

[this is crazy!! I hope they strip him of his medical license and he goes to jail. This poor woman should sue I can only imagine the nightmares she has. Too bad she didnt have a cellphone and call 911!

Office staff--shame on you , they should have called police on him and quit!!

Quote Originally Posted by tigger3z View Post
    [this is crazy!! I hope they strip him of his medical license and he goes to jail. This poor woman should sue I can only imagine the nightmares she has. Too bad she didnt have a cellphone and call 911!

Office staff--shame on you , they should have called police on him and quit!!
    The two assistants indicted was the front office (Nazi) clerk and a male who assisted the doctor with patients. Both are responsible for their actions. Both seemed to enjoyed the intimidation. This is a ring IMO of bad guys hidden under the guise of good guys.

Thanks Susie for all the links. The experiences of the patients complaining has really opened my eyes. I wonder how many patients are out there that have been abused?

I am watching this story and going to look for my old credit card receipt/bill to put the correct time/dates on my particular incident. I have a feeling detectives have already been interviewing other patients as this is not just a lawsuit by a complaining patient but an indictment by a grand jury.

This is outragous and the Doctor and staff should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I am sure this is just the tip of the iceberg with these people, I am sure much more will come out.

The doctor and staff should lose any medical licenses they have and never be allowed to practice medicine again.

I wonder if this guy is originally from the U.S.? Holding patients hostage for payment is common behavior in Mexico and South America. They won't take U.S. insurance or credit cards. People have had to devise elaborate escape plans to get away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast