PA PA - Monroe Twp, 'Penny Doe', WhtFem 20-40, 246UFPA, near RR trestle, Rt leg broken, Jul'90

Talisman

Walk lightly in the spring;Mother Earth's pregnant
Reaction score
I have never posted a case before. This one has haunted me for a long time. There was something about the fact that she was found with one penny in each pocket, it just grabbed at my heart. I hope I do her justice with this post.

246UFPA

She was found with one penny in each of her jeans pocket.

White female
Estimated age
: 15 - 22 years

Height and weight: 5'1" - 5'2" , 105 - 140 lbs

Distinguishing characteristics: Long (14 inches) dark brown hair.
Autopsy showed that her right leg was broken.

Dentals: Dental records available. She had perfect teeth, not even a cavity and may have come from an area that had flouride in the water.

Clothing: Wearing size 9 black Gitano Express jeans, Fruit of the Loom panties (size 7). Black button down shirt with attached floral vest made by Stop Light of California. One penny in each jeans pocket.

<modsnip - broken link>

This site gives a little bit more description and info.

Estimated weight: Pathology reports put her at 105 - 110 lbs, but in life she may have weighed as much as 120 lbs.

Dentals: Available. She may have come from an area with flouride in the water since her teeth had no fillings and no sign of decay. Despite the perfect condition of her teeth, there were several distinctive characteristics that could help identify her:
A tooth in the upper right side of her mouth was chipped, but it is unknown if the chip occured before or after death.
One front tooth was short and stubby compared to the same tooth on the other side (unknown which tooth)
She still had one of her baby teeth behind the adult tooth, i.e. the adult tooth had grown in but the baby tooth had not fallen out (unknown which tooth)
She also had one upper tooth that was 90% rotated. (unknown which tooth)

Clothing details were the same at both sites except this one mentions that she had no socks, shoes, bra, or jewelry. Just the one penny in each jeans pocket. They say it is unknown if the pennies were left on purpose, or simply disregarded when her killer was emptying her pockets.

She was discovered on Friday, June 22, 1990 in a stream bed by Road 535 in Monroe Township, Clarion County, Pennsylvania approximately 3 miles south of I-80, not a well traveled road.

One site says teenagers bear hunting found her, the other says children hunting berries - either way she was found when they were crossing under a railroad trestle. She was laying face down in muddy water.

Cause of Death: Blunt force trauma to the right side of skull
Estimated date of death: 6 - 8 weeks before discovery

Law Enforcement doesn't believe that she is from that area, but they do think that her killer is. The area she was found at is very remote. They also belive that she was not in the area for a long time, maybe about a month, before she was killed.
In the summer of 2002, Law Enforcement received an anonymous letter concerning the victim. LE put out a plea for the writer to contact them again, to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the area where she was found and took pictures just to show how remote it is. http://www.myspace.com/pennydoe

I just made the space today so there is alot left to do. I am not great at computer stuff at all. Her reconstruction picture isn't even on there yet. Just pictures of the area and her characteristics.

The trestle itself looks more like a tunnel. The train ran on top of the tunnel/trestle. We tried to get every view captured for you.

You will see in the captions on the pictures a road named 'Lawrence". That is the Township Road # 535 that they refer to in her flyer. We saw only one house on that road (a farm house) and then a place that looked like a camp with No Trespassing, Beware of Dog, and Keep Out signs posted everywhere.

Strange thing about the trestle, my fiance' pointed out that there wasn't any grafitti at all. The date on top of the trestle says 1906 - it did not look like it had ever been painted over or anything. There were 4- wheeler tracks all over the place - nothing to do with the case- just thought it was amazing that young locals haven't marked it all up.

I think she sort of looks like the last girl, but then, you have the time discrepancy...

I though maybe the clothing she was wearing might be a clue to where she was from. The only reference to Stop Light of California I could find when googled was at this link http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEED7173DF930A35755C0A966958260

It mentions the wedding of a Suzanne Marek who is a sales associate for Stop Light of California. It mentions that it is a sportswear manufacturer in New York City.

Is there any other place to search for Stop Light of California? I admit that I am not the greatest at searching for stuff.

With regard to the broken leg, do they mean a healed fracture?

anthrobones,

I wasn't clear on that either. I was thinking that maybe on Monday I would try to get in contact with the State Trooper that is handling the case. I've never done that before, so I'm a little timid about it. We'll see.

The cause of death and the broken leg along with the chipped tooth - made me wonder if she were in a car accident - maybe the person (people) she was with panicked ? Just a thought.

Although, the flyer does refer to her 'killer'

Thank you for responding. I really hope she gets her name back.

I googled Stop Light of California, but was not able to find anything. I wonder if it is not a very well known brand. Gitano is not supposed to be expensive.

The music festival that they reference in the Pennsylvania Missing flyer was called Music Alley. It was held on some farmland by a small town called St. Petersburg located in Clarion County. There is an I-80 exit about 2 - 3 miles from that farm (Dittman Road).

Local police wonder if she attended that concert. It was held on Memorial Day Weekend that year (May 27). Her body was found on June 22, aprox 1 month after the concert. They estimate that she had been dead between 6 - 8 weeks.

The location of her body was also not far from an I-80 exit. It was about 3 - 4 miles from the Clarion exit. The road, Lawrence Road (township road #535), is extremely remote. When my fiance' and I decided to look at maps and directions it didn't seem like it would be hard to find. I'm telling you it had to be someone local to there... we almost passed the tunnel/trestle where she was found.

My dearest Talisman,:blowkiss:
Thank you so much for starting the thread on "Penny". You did an excellent job on the website that you did and the photos are amazing.

Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

My dearest Talisman,:blowkiss:
Thank you so much for starting the thread on "Penny". You did an excellent job on the website that you did and the photos are amazing.

Love and Respect for you,
dark_shadows

My very dearest dark_shadows :blowkiss::blowkiss:

I love you soooo much!! Thank you for taking the time to look at the pictures and read about 'Penny'.
There is just something about her. I want to help her so badly!! Ever since I read about the pennies in her pocket... that just breaks my heart.
Thank you again,
Lots and lots of love and respect to you!
Talisman

Excellent sleuthing. :clap: I think all four are worth submitting but I think Penny looks most like either of the two Medina girls - especially Meredith Medina. I do agree with Anthrobones on the reconstruction. It makes Penny look more like a woman in her late twenties to thirties.

I guess they could not do a clay reconstruction because of the damage to her skull?

My very dearest dark_shadows :blowkiss::blowkiss:

I love you soooo much!! Thank you for taking the time to look at the pictures and read about 'Penny'.
There is just something about her. I want to help her so badly!! Ever since I read about the pennies in her pocket... that just breaks my heart.
Thank you again,
Lots and lots of love and respect to you!
Talisman
My very dearest Talisman,:blowkiss:

It hurts my heart to hear your broken heart my friend. You found some excellent matches and maybe one of the links that you found is your Angel.
Love and Respect,
dark_shadows

I agree that the reconstruction isn't very helpful, but with that being said, Meredith Ann Medina is the one that looks the closest to me. Alicia Markovich is worth checking out too IMO.

I agree, that reconstruction does not look like it could be a 15 year old. I've been trying to just go by the general height, age, hair color, and then I check for any reference to dentals. With the detailed description of the victims teeth, I 'm hoping she won't be hard to identify. Hopefully she has been reported missing and there is somebody looking for her.

I just can't get any more information on Stop Light of California clothing. Just a needle in a haystack I've been looking for ... just hoping for something.

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to approach LE about this case. How do I submit the possible matches? Does LE get upset if you ask them for more information to help identify the victim? Is it better to e-mail, phone, or actually meet them in person? Thanks for any advice.

How interesting that two of your potential matches have the same last name (Medina), although one is missing from Oklahoma and the other from California. Not a lot of info on either one. Do you have any connections between them?

How interesting that two of your potential matches have the same last name (Medina), although one is missing from Oklahoma and the other from California. Not a lot of info on either one. Do you have any connections between them?

Richard,

Thank you so much for posting.

No, I couldn't find very much information on either one of the Medina girls. When I first started searching for potential matches it struck me as odd, too. For some reason though I kept coming back to those two. The reconstruction photo of the victim is so hard to go by. Mostly I tried to go by description.

I actually called Clarion News to see if they had their newspaper archived. They do not, but informed me that the local library had copies I could look through. Still planning a trip to the library one of these days.

With this Jane Doe it just seems like she could be easily identified. The description of her teeth is very detailed. Her long dark hair also should help.

Richard, do you think there is anything strange about the pennies in her pocket? I actually googled that, thinking that maybe it was a calling card. Nothing at all that I found suggested that. So, they were probably over looked when her pockets were emptied out.

Thanks again, Richard.

Talisman

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member