1095 users online (236 members and 859 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

College girls banned from whistling at builders

A further education college is having to protect builders from wolf-whistling girls, in a reversal of traditional gender stereotypes.
    Officials at West Kent College in Tonbridge, Kent, sent an email to all pupils warning that the behaviour was "totally unacceptable", and saying any students caught harassing contractors would face disciplinary action.
    The email was sent after a demolition team started work on a 94 million, three-year building project at the campus.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-builders.html

A spokeswoman for the contractors said they had had no registered complaints, but they didn't condone inappropriate behaviour from any parties on their sites.

and meanwhile, The Sexual Offences (Scotland) Bill will be made to say a new offence will be "communicating indecently" punishable by up to 10 years in jail. this is more to do with emails, texts and letters, but will include "sexually explicit comments to strangers".

workmen can be convicted of Breach of the Peace when making obscene comments to passers-by at present.

so keep your comments to yourselves in the U.K.

Gah, all this time wasted on STUPID things like this!!! I can understand the texts, emails etc when stalkers are involved or it's harrassment, but who doesn't like to be whistled at once in a while?!

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Gah, all this time wasted on STUPID things like this!!! I can understand the texts, emails etc when stalkers are involved or it's harrassment, but who doesn't like to be whistled at once in a while?!
    Not just TIME, Taxi! think of all the blooming money someone was paid to come up with this job-justifying idea!

although i agree stalkers and objectionable attention (of which this could be to some) should be nipped in the bud, long time since i earned a whistle . . .

They just take ALL the fun out of wolfwhistles! LOL Just goes to show you that some men can dish it out...but can't take it. :P
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Now I'm humming "Little Red Riding Hood". ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslySearching View Post
    They just take ALL the fun out of wolfwhistles! LOL Just goes to show you that some men can dish it out...but can't take it. :P
    SS, the spokesman for the contractor's said he hadn't received any complaints. I guess it's the school administration that didn't care for it.

Now are male students permitted to whistle at the construction workers?

Yea, what a difference it makes when the tables are turned! Men!
    ~ Friends are kisses blown to us by angels. ~

The men didn't complain. I think its silly too, however, its not right to say that its okay for women to do it and tell the men they can't. Women want equal rights? They got 'em.

My husband who works construction LOVES the "attention" he gets from GROWN women who work at a bank accross from where he is building. They bring him coffee and donuts in the morning and gatoraide and a sandwich at lunch..

Nah, I'm not jealous, well, maybe, I wish they would send me a sandwich too! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    My husband who works construction LOVES the "attention" he gets from GROWN women who work at a bank accross from where he is building. They bring him coffee and donuts in the morning and gatoraide and a sandwich at lunch..

Nah, I'm not jealous, well, maybe, I wish they would send me a sandwich too! LOL.
    I'm sorry, but that's pretty pathetic. Women brining food and drinks to men they don't even know. I find that particularly odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP) View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's pretty pathetic. Women brining food and drinks to men they don't even know. I find that particularly odd.
    Me too. I've never seen that happen before. I'm not a fan of getting whistled at or hooted at by anyone on the street. It makes me extremely uncomfortable and angry. I've never whistled or done that to anyone else. I think it is tacky and unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP) View Post

Nope, they do not know him but have you ever heard of the word "COUGARS"? LOL, these women are way to old to be acting like teenage girls in heat but they do.

Hubby just likes the free food!

My brother works for my husband so I have spies but these women are in their 50's-60's, and should know better.

I find it hilarious!

This is so stupid, those guys love it, my husband is a construction worker and them guys would just eat it up!

The guys may like it, but there can't be a double standard. Whistling shouldn't be called harrassment if he does it but cheered if she does it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaBrown23 View Post
    This is so stupid, those guys love it, my husband is a construction worker and them guys would just eat it up!

True! My husband worked construction years ago and he would have loved it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast