GUILTY VT - Angelo MacEwan, 5 wks, beaten to death, Rutland, 15 Dec 2007

vermontn03

Former Member
Reaction score
Father Pleads Innocent to Baby's Murder

Rutland, Vermont - June 23, 2008
Salvatore Macewan, 22, pleaded not guilty Monday to a charge of second-degree murder.
The state argued he killed his five-week-old son, named Angelo, on the night of December 15.
"He by his own admissions was the person caring for this child during the window when medical experts believe these injuries to have occurred," said Assistant Attorney General Annika Frostick.
According to court papers, Macewan told police he and the boy's mother returned to their Rutland home around 1 a.m. from celebrating a birthday at a local bar. He put the baby in a swing and went to sleep. When he woke up at 3 a.m., he found the baby was not moving, so he shook him. He performed CPR and called 911. Angelo Macewan was pronounced dead at the hospital.
A doctor said the injuries were as severe as what a baby would suffer in a car crash.

8539551_BG1.jpg

8539551_BG2.jpg

8539551_BG3.jpg

8539551_BG4.jpg

8539551_BG5.jpg

http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=8539551

I am confused ... The mother was there as well?? Why is she not suspect?
Or the babysitter who watched him while they were out?

I do not put much faith in medical examiners determining time of death in these cases.

Oh boy-this one reminds me a whole lot of the British Nanny case that was tried here: Louise Woodward and Matthew Eappen. Think Barry Scheck will jump on board?

The violence this child suffered caused skull fractures, subdural hemorrhages, multiple rib fractures, leg fractures, retinal hemorrhaging and devastating brain trauma which meant the brain sheared itself from the skull because of the force that was impacted on this child. And Dr. Heath also found evidence of older injuries meaning this was not the first time this child was assaulted," said Frostick.

In her case she was convicted of second degree murder, I believe (?) and the judge reduced her jail time to time served. I read an interview done with Matthew's critical care nurse from the hospital where he died and she said that she would never, ever forget the injuries to that little boy-spiral twisting fractures of his limbs that were old, new and partially healing. It was incredible.

I thought that nanny was acquitted?

Salem

I am confused ... The mother was there as well?? Why is she not suspect?
Or the babysitter who watched him while they were out?

I do not put much faith in medical examiners determining time of death in these cases.

I agree. What is mom's story. The baby was 5 WEEKS old. The ME says there was evidence of prior injury. How does a 5 week old child have prior injury??? I want to know mom's side of the story. Where was she when these things were happening? How do you leave a 5 week old with others very often, unless it is the grandparents.

:furious: frustration with these stories and the pain they tell of :furious:

Salem

From the link above:

"According to court papers, Macewan told police he and the boy's mother returned to their Rutland home around 1 a.m. from celebrating a birthday at a local bar. He put the baby in a swing and went to sleep. When he woke up at 3 a.m., he found the baby was not moving, so he shook him. He performed CPR and called 911. Angelo Macewan was pronounced dead at the hospital."

Excuse me, but was the mother drunk or something? I can't imagine letting my dh put our 5 wk old in a swing for the night. Didn't she check on him during the night? As a mother, I can't imagine not putting my baby to bed in a crib or cradle. There must be more to this story.

I thought that nanny was acquitted?

Salem

Nah, she was found guilty but the judge basically overturned the verdict and set her free because he felt she was young and guilty of bad judgment. What completely chapped me, if you will forgive the phrase, was that he did not compel her to admit to her responsibility for Matthew's death before he set her free.

As irrelevant as it is...does anyone know how old the mother is?

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080624/NEWS04/806240369

"MacEwan and the baby's mother, Jessi Lynn Cook of Rutland, willingly participated in a re-enactment of the night of the child's death , according to the police affidavit filed in the case. During the re-enactment, MacEwan told police he was 60 percent sure after arriving home with Cook, he put the child in a swing and fell asleep. According to the affidavit, MacEwan said he woke up when he thought Cook was calling his name and saw Angelo was not breathing. MacEwan told police he removed the child from the swing, shook him and attempted CPR."

He was 60 Percent sure he put the baby in the swing?!?!?!? 60% sure?! What in the HECK does that mean. Sounds like he was drunk.

http://www.rutlandherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080621/NEWS04/806210357

"According to Howell, officers arrived to find Angelo lying on the foot of the bed with no sign of movement. Officers reported they found a fresh red mark on the child's neck, a bruise in the right chest area, an older bruise on the right side of the head, a bruise to the skin above the upper lip and bruising of both eyes."

"MacEwan told police he and his girlfriend, Jessi Lynn Cook of Rutland, arrived home from a bar at roughly 1 a.m. after celebrating her birthday."

"MacEwan told police he saw the baby wasn't moving, picked him up and shook him. MacEwan picked up a stethoscope and finding no heartbeat, he began CPR, according to the affidavit."

Can't change my font color at work...why did he have a stethoscope at home? He must have worked in health care, somehow and been directly involved in patient care to have a stethoscope at home...unless he just had it lying around? Why wouldn't he feel for a pulse?

" Dr. Holly Dunn, an emergency room physician, said the bruising around the child's neck was the same size as an adult hand, according to the affidavit." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's background: apparently he had harmed Angelo before and the police/girlfriend were aware of it.

"According to the affidavit, police received a phone call at approximately 9:30 a.m. on Dec. 10 from Tina Manney of Salem, N.Y., requesting they check on the welfare of the child.

Manney told police that, during a telephone call, Cook said she had returned home from a store to find Angelo bleeding from the mouth, his clothing covered in blood. Cook told Manney the child had been in MacEwan's care.

According to the affidavit, Cook asked MacEwan what happened. MacEwan responded he may have slammed the child against the bed too hard when "he wouldn't stop crying."

Okay, so mom found the baby sometime BEFORE he was 5 weeks old and the baby showed obvious signs of mistreatment. So much so, that a friend called for a welfare check. As mom described the injuries to the friend they sound VERY severe for a less than 5 week old. What happened when the cops or CPS did the welfare check? Anything? Apparently not. How come mom did not make dad leave? How come mom left the baby out there with dad?

I think dad should fry. But I think mom needs some punishment also. She also should have to go to some parenting classes and some self esteem classes before she has anymore children.

Actually, I'm not sure what I think. Dad did something that killed that baby, while mom was in the house.......... I can't get over that the baby was only 5 weeks old and had signs of previous injury. Breaks my heart.

May little Angelo rest in peace. He never stood a chance, but with the angels he will be allowed to grow in love, security, and peace.

Salem

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3