1212 users online (266 members and 946 guests)  

Websleuths News

GA - Billie Welty, 42, found dead in freezer, Jefferson, 22 June 2008

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/...svc=7&cxcat=13

Authorities in Jefferson are investigating the death of a woman whose body was found in a storage freezer.

Jefferson Police Chief Joe Wirthman says police were called to 42-year-old Billie Welty's home Sunday after her estranged husband found her in a chest freezer.

If it WAS an accident, it's too darn bad her "estranged" husband found her there!

I've heard of cases where someone can fall into these and not get back out because the doors are the old-style w/the latch. What a horrible way to go, whether accidental or homicidal.

I wonder what made him look in the freezer, if she was living in the house and he wasn't.

What a bizarre set of circumstances. You just have to think it's accidental. I just can't believe this guy could be responsible BECAUSE he called LE when he found her. He had to have known LE would look at him as a suspect.

Maybe, in trying to figure out what happened to her, he thought he'd look into the freezer and see if she had kept it stocked as normal. IF she'd let the contents of the freeze dwindle down to nothing, it COULD mean she was missing because she wanted to be. But if it was full, it meant she was planning on being around to use the contents.

I don't know what this freezer looks like that she could have gotten inside and not gotten out.

Stange,
    fran

Quote Originally Posted by fran View Post
    What a bizarre set of circumstances. You just have to think it's accidental. I just can't believe this guy could be responsible BECAUSE he called LE when he found her. He had to have known LE would look at him as a suspect.

Maybe, in trying to figure out what happened to her, he thought he'd look into the freezer and see if she had kept it stocked as normal. IF she'd let the contents of the freeze dwindle down to nothing, it COULD mean she was missing because she wanted to be. But if it was full, it meant she was planning on being around to use the contents.

I don't know what this freezer looks like that she could have gotten inside and not gotten out.

Stange,
    fran
    You may be right Fran. It seems the husband found her in the freezer with the lid open. She had made a comment before about sitting in the freezer to cool off because the a/c in her townhouse was broken. She also had recently joined AA so there may have been some impairment here.

This article is more in depth.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/0624...80624048.shtml

Oh, possible drinking/drugs and staying cool in a freezer...trouble. How sad for her children.

Thanks for that informative link, cp.

So possibly she sits in the freezer to cool off and what? passes out? That's just weird, but I guess it could have happened that way.

Ya know, when I worked at Sears selling appliances, I often joked w/ customers that I personally didn't care for chest freezers even though they are a better product because I was afraid of falling in and not being found until spring thaw! (I was really only half kidding--they spook me for some reason.)

What a bizarre twist! I thought for sure he killed her and was trying to be smart by contacting LE himself to report it.

Suspicious minds...

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom View Post
    What a bizarre twist! I thought for sure he killed her and was trying to be smart by contacting LE himself to report it.

Suspicious minds...
    OMG, at least this one was a terrible accident. In Sylvester Georgia a few months ago a wife was found in her chest type freezer.

Yep, her very young husband had murdered her and put her there. He had told her kids she had left him and her kids asked him what was wrong with the freezer because he had frozen food sitting out on the counter. He told them it didn't work, so her son came back to fix the freezer while the husband was at work and found his mother.

imoo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson View Post
    You may be right Fran. It seems the husband found her in the freezer with the lid open. She had made a comment before about sitting in the freezer to cool off because the a/c in her townhouse was broken. She also had recently joined AA so there may have been some impairment here.

This article is more in depth.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/0624...80624048.shtml
    Thanks cp...........I'm glad I didn't jump to conclusions. It does appear to be just that, an accident. Strange accident, but accidental none the less.

Sad,............it seems she was finally getting her life together. It even looked like she and the ehhh. estranged hubby were seeing each other a little more than before. Who knows, they may have eventually gotten back together.

Sad indeed,
    fran

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    OMG, at least this one was a terrible accident. In Sylvester Georgia a few months ago a wife was found in her chest type freezer.

Yep, her very young husband had murdered her and put her there. He had told her kids she had left him and her kids asked him what was wrong with the freezer because he had frozen food sitting out on the counter. He told them it didn't work, so her son came back to fix the freezer while the husband was at work and found his mother.

imoo
    Oops, there is that Georgia thing again. Maybe we better keep our minds open to other possibilities. But, I do like the reporter from athensonline.com.

Ocean, do you have a link to the Sylvester murder?

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson View Post
    Oops, there is that Georgia thing again. Maybe we better keep our minds open to other possibilities. But, I do like the reporter from athensonline.com.

Ocean, do you have a link to the Sylvester murder?
    I will see if WALB has it in their archives. I cant remember how long its been now or what her name was but let me go see.

imo
    "Pardon Our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" USMC New River Air Station, Jacksonville, North Carolina

Here is the link concernedperson...........

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=57822

This is the one where it was murder. I am glad that both werent and one was a strange accident.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanblueeyes View Post
    Here is the link concernedperson...........

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=57822
    Thanks for the link.Not saying all crimes of a similar nature should be booked together but it does give us a history.Done before and all that.

Let's see what other interesting conversations happened between the two of them prior to her being in the freezer. Or, if any other witnesses to their relationship show up.