When the law is wrong. A would be heartwarming story that went wrong

ember

~*~ Tree hugging dirt worshipper ~*~
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,370781,00.html

Snip:
NEW DELHI — It was supposed to be a heartwarming tale of a man who brought an orphaned bear cub home from the forests of eastern India to become part of the family, consoling his small daughter who had just lost her mother.
But when wildlife officials saw the story in the local media last week, it turned to tragedy.
Ram Singh Munda, 35, was arrested and jailed for violating wildlife laws, the bear was sent to a zoo where it has refused to eat, and the abandoned six-year-old daughter has been shipped off to a state-run boarding school."
*End Snip*

I truly believe the law is wrong in this case!
This man should not be arrested and his little daughter has been through enough! They need to give her teddy bear back!

I hope they are all reunited soon, for all of their sake.

I think I may end up shouting my opinion here.

Pet Bears and 6 year old girls don't go together.

Regardless of the law, that dad should not be putting his daughter in danger by having a wild bear living in their home. This is not a cute puppy dog. This is a wild beast that can instantly kill or mutilate the little girl.

As a side note, we do not know whether the orphaned bear has eaten since becoming an orphan. The article twists that detail to sound like the bear doesn't eat becase he is at a zoo.

I agree they did the right thing by taking the bear away. Not to long ago a man was killed by a bear he trained and was supposed to be very close to. With that being said I don't think they should have arrested the father and put the girl in a boarding school.

I agree that putting the daughter in boarding school was wrong.

I'm not sure how I feel about arresting the dad. I think I actually agree with it. He took a bear from the wild and endangered his daughter. There has to be some punishment for that or other people will feel that it is ok to do that. The punishment doesn't have to be massive, but it does need to be a deterant.

the girl might be in a boarding school as no where else to put her. She will be looked after and get an education both of which can only benfit her over time.

I agree wild animals and small children are a bad mix .

I concede that the bear may be a danger. Sloth bears can be quite unpredictable with their tempers...but I guess I wasn't thinking of that. I was just concerned that the ripping apart of what this child knew as family would further damage her, especially when she is still dealing with the death of her mother.

I do not think the father should be punished. He was trying to console his daughter and did not mean any harm. I'm sure he didn't think it out....but just saw a cub that needed a home and had a daughter that needed a friend. I think it is sweet that he wanted to give his daughter something to love and take her mind off of her mother. As the article stated, I don't think he is an educated man, so maybe he was thinking with his heart and not his head. I don't think he should be punished for that....and neither should his daughter....or the bear and at this moment, they all are.

Funny how humans are so quick to judge an animal, but may think nothing of the beast that may lie within the man beside of them.
I can think of plenty of humans who should be locked up because they are a potential threat to their children or others...but they roam free until they do something dastardly. However, the animals have no such right.

As someone who has rehabbed wild animals in the past - I think the man's heart was in the right place, but not everyone makes the best decisions when thinking with their heart.

Take the bear away, give the child back. She's been through enough! Lost Mom, Lost the pet, Lost her father.

the girl might be in a boarding school as no where else to put her. She will be looked after and get an education both of which can only benfit her over time.

I agree wild animals and small children are a bad mix .

I don't think the boarding schools there are all that nice.

I do not think the father should be punished. He was trying to console his daughter and did not mean any harm. I'm sure he didn't think it out....but just saw a cub that needed a home and had a daughter that needed a friend. I think it is sweet that he wanted to give his daughter something to love and take her mind off of her mother. As the article stated, I don't think he is an educated man, so maybe he was thinking with his heart and not his head. I don't think he should be punished for that....and neither should his daughter....or the bear and at this moment, they all are.

OK, all of you have made me consider the other side of the story. While I still say he shouldn't have a bear with a daughter, I concede that from his perspective, he was thinking with his heart. His heart was in a good place trying to take care of the bear and his daughter. It simply wasn't safe or legal.

I guess I have to concede to agree that they should let the dad out of jail to be with the daughter. He needs to be taught safety and animal regulations, not taken from his daughter. His daughter doesn't need to lose her father over this.

ember,
Although I understand your thoughts of this being an story that went wrong
3.gif
, I have to agree with the others who said the bear shouldn't be a pet to a little girl. Wild animals, imo, should never be pets. It's just to dangerous.

ember,
Although I understand your thoughts of this being an story that went wrong
3.gif
, I have to agree with the others who said the bear shouldn't be a pet to a little girl. Wild animals, imo, should never be pets. It's just to dangerous.

I agree.
I guess when I read it, I thought it was a neat bond. It reminded me of a real Jungle Book....Mowgli & Baloo! I tend to root for the fantasy.

I just hope for a good outcome for all 3 involved
And I hope they get the little girl back to her daddy asap! The last thing she needs is more seperation from someone who loves her.

That's it, honey. It was a real Jungle Book story.
:blowkiss:Can't blame you for wanting that when most of the news we read is so tragic.

OK, all of you have made me consider the other side of the story. While I still say he shouldn't have a bear with a daughter, I concede that from his perspective, he was thinking with his heart. His heart was in a good place trying to take care of the bear and his daughter. It simply wasn't safe or legal.

I guess I have to concede to agree that they should let the dad out of jail to be with the daughter. He needs to be taught safety and animal regulations, not taken from his daughter. His daughter doesn't need to lose her father over this.

Thank you for restoring my faith in the fact that once in awhile someone can concede a point. That takes a lot of honesty and character. :clap:

Oh and by the way? I agree with your assesment - take the bear, reunite the father and daughter.

Thank you for restoring my faith in the fact that once in awhile someone can concede a point. That takes a lot of honesty and character. :clap:

Oh and by the way? I agree with your assesment - take the bear, reunite the father and daughter.
Sounds like a good plan to me. I wish they would do that. :(

I too feel as though the father made poor judgement, and thank God, that nobody did get harmed. But definetly reunite the father and daughter, I think dad has probably learned a sad lesson without any harm to anyone. Hopefully they put the bear in a zoo near the little girl. That way she could still visit and the bear can start eating again. Everyone Happy and Safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back