1239 users online (260 members and 979 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Foster Mom Risks Life To Save Baby, Gets Sued By Baby's Mom

Look at the burns on this poor woman and tell me she didn't try to save that baby!

PEORIA
    Valerie Edwards didn't feel her skin burning the morning her house was engulfed in flames.
    She was determined to save her foster child, who was trapped in her crib upstairs.
    "It was a blaze," said Edwards, who repeatedly entered her burning house the morning of Dec. 26 in an attempt to save 11-month-old Anariah West. "I ran out of the house, got some air, then went back in. All I was seeing in my head was that baby."
    Firefighters eventually rescued the infant, but she died later that day of smoke inhalation.
    Edwards, 50, suffered third-degree burns and was in a coma for about five weeks. Her house, 821 W. Spring Hollow, was destroyed in the fire, and she is facing nearly $1 million in medical bills, having been through several surgeries and only needing more. Full of pain, both physically and emotionally, Edwards didn't think it could get any worse.
    more: http://www.pjstar.com/news/x18164368...ter-fatal-fire

That is the saddist thing I have heard! The mother had already lost custody of her two older children and the youngest was now in her adoptive home, wtf is she suing for? She should be thankful her children went to someone who loved them so much.

My prayers for the all the family and especially Mrs. Edwards who was so badly hurt trying to reach the baby.

Do you think the courts would allow the ex-mom to sue for wrongful death when the baby was a ward of the state?
    Last edited by Marstan; 06-25-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: removed a word

I hope the judge throws this case out. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Maybe Mrs. Edwards should sue the birth mother for having lost custody of her children. Because if the birth mother still had custody Mrs. Edwards would not have risked her life becoming permanently injured saving that baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
    I hope the judge throws this case out. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Maybe Mrs. Edwards should sue the birth mother for having lost custody of her children. Because if the birth mother still had custody Mrs. Edwards would not have risked her life becoming permanently injured saving that baby.

I was about to post this. This house is right by where my cousin lives. They are just starting to fix it. It was very sad that the baby died. This poor lady was in the hospital for quite a while and the bio mother was praising her for trying to save her child now she is suing her. She is probably some crack head just wanting more drug money, lord knows we have a lot of those around Peoria.

So sad! It's so clear how much Mrs. Edwards loved that baby. I just hope the "mom" won't have another baby and expect Mrs. Edwards to adopt that one too. The "mom" should count her blessings that her baby was loved so much.

The world has gone "sue happy"

I liked one of the comments posted at the end of the article in the link.

Basically it said that the birth mom should begin by paying all of the taxpayers back for having to raise her children for her
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

That baby would not have died from the fire if the mother had custody of her instead of the baby having to go to foster home. Since she already had other children taken away, it sounds to me this woman just kept popping out babies with no regard for them to begin with, and now she's thinking she can get some easy money
    How soon before she has another baby?

VB

probably 9 months.

that foster mom is heartless.

I have no problem for the state and the foster parents to be sued if the child dies of neglect but barring that maybe the skank whore real mother should have been a better mother and not lost her children and none of this would be an issue.

This totally amazes me. That foster mom was obviously willing to give her life for that baby and that sorry excuse of a womb donor thinks she can get money out of it. I really hope the courts see through this ploy to get money and tell her to get a life and stop making children that she doesnt want to care for.

Quote Originally Posted by pedinurse View Post
    probably 9 months.

that foster mom is heartless.
    What???? Why is the Foster mom heartless?

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    I have no problem for the state and the foster parents to be sued if the child dies of neglect but barring that maybe the skank whore real mother should have been a better mother and not lost her children and none of this would be an issue.

There's nothing else for me to add. Amrraann, said it very well.

I read the article, but I didn't see any specific mention of the cause of the fire. Seems kind of shady that her kid died and she's suing...makes you wonder if this "mother" started the blaze herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Marstan View Post
    That is the saddist thing I have heard! The mother had already lost custody of her two older children and the youngest was now in her adoptive home, wtf is she suing for? She should be thankful her children went to someone who loved them so much.

My prayers for the all the family and especially Mrs. Edwards who was so badly hurt trying to reach the baby.

Do you think the courts would allow the ex-mom to sue for wrongful death when the baby was a ward of the state?
    Its entirely possible. The mother may not have standing to bring an action like this. I would hope that the defense attorney would come up with some summary judgment motion that rips this woman's attorney's face off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast