1228 users online (259 members and 969 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Non-Twins born to same mom, same day

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strol...-same-day.aspx

Posted by Madeline Holler
    Two Scottish girls born to the same mother minutes apart are not twins. Hmmm. How does that work? Defying million-to-one odds and everything you ever knew about fertility and hormones and monthly cycles, a 29-year-old mother of two got pregnant a couple of times within the span of a few weeks.
    After she initially became pregnant, her menstrual cycle soldiered on none-the-wiser and released an egg the following month, which also became fertilized and eventually implanted. Oh, and Mom was on the pill the whole time.
    The mother found out she was pregnant with two non-twins at a routine 12-week ultrasound. While checking over the older fetus flailing arms and legs and all the techs also saw a blob, which appeared to be more like a fetus nine weeks along. And it, too, was alive. A subsequent ultrasound showed that the younger fetus was still hanging in there and developing according to schedule -- three weeks after the first one.
    The girls were born at 29 and 34 weeks gestation after an emergency c-section but are now home, thriving and happy.

Photo: worldwidefeatures.co m

i went to school with 2 kids born of the same mother (and father lol) 4 months apart, both full term. apparently the mom had 2 uteruses (uteri?)

was odd, the girl looked very like her mother, blonde and short, the boy looked very like his father, tall and dark.

ah the mysteries...

When hubby was in the military he had a friend who's wife had their twins several weeks apart..
    Meaning they C-sectioned one and left the other for a few more weeks..
    In retrospect I wonder if this is what happened?

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    That is so strange. Sure glad they're both healthy!!

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Well I guess that throws the whole well it's not like I can't get pregnant again argument out the window doesn't it.

There was a show I saw where the two babies were born on the same day to the same mother, but two different father's. Technically they were twins. I think.

There was a case like that Filly where one baby was black and one was white. The mother said she had been with her husband and her lover (one of each race) hours apart on the same day.

Interesting!
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

I hate to be such a doubter, but I'm a little bit skeptical on this one.

"When doctors had to perform an emergency caesarean delivery on their mother Amelia Spence, Ame was born at 29 weeks and Lia at 32.

Ame, the younger baby, arrived first weighing 4lb 13oz. Her sister Lia was much bigger at 6lb 11oz.

Both the sisters were healthy and after five days in hospital, they were allowed home."

I have problems believing that a 29 week old baby would be able to go home in 5 days. And also, I know that they aren't true twins, but I find it odd that at 32 weeks, the other baby was over 6 pounds. That is really unusual for a non-singleton pregnancy.

I wonder if anyone has tried interviewing her doctors or the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    There was a case like that Filly where one baby was black and one was white. The mother said she had been with her husband and her lover (one of each race) hours apart on the same day.

Interesting!
    I remember that. Fascinating!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
    Well I guess that throws the whole well it's not like I can't get pregnant again argument out the window doesn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen_in_Indy View Post
    I hate to be such a doubter, but I'm a little bit skeptical on this one.

"When doctors had to perform an emergency caesarean delivery on their mother Amelia Spence, Ame was born at 29 weeks and Lia at 32.

Ame, the younger baby, arrived first weighing 4lb 13oz. Her sister Lia was much bigger at 6lb 11oz.

Both the sisters were healthy and after five days in hospital, they were allowed home."

I have problems believing that a 29 week old baby would be able to go home in 5 days. And also, I know that they aren't true twins, but I find it odd that at 32 weeks, the other baby was over 6 pounds. That is really unusual for a non-singleton pregnancy.

I wonder if anyone has tried interviewing her doctors or the hospital.

My son was born at 29 weeks and 4 days and he was only in the hospital a week and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by teonspaleprincess View Post
    My son was born at 29 weeks and 4 days and he was only in the hospital a week and a half.
    Thanks for sharing! I just hadn't ever really heard of a preemie that young going home so soon. I'm basing it on when my sister went into pre-term labor at 29 weeks, they basically told her that if the baby was born then, it would be there for several weeks.

Glad to hear that your preemie was healthy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    There was a show I saw where the two babies were born on the same day to the same mother, but two different father's. Technically they were twins. I think.
    Was it One Life to Live? That happened on my soap. Twins Natalie and Jessica born to the same mom, different fathers. The mom had sex with her husband and then was raped the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen_in_Indy View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I just hadn't ever really heard of a preemie that young going home so soon. I'm basing it on when my sister went into pre-term labor at 29 weeks, they basically told her that if the baby was born then, it would be there for several weeks.

Glad to hear that your preemie was healthy!!
    I agree that it is unusual (but great!). Jen, they usually give you an outside estimate as well. Several moms I knew who had preemies were told to expect the baby to come home around their original due date, but none were actually in the hospital that long. Although every day seemed like forever...

Cali -- but im a north east girl at heart!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post

Interesting!
    wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast