GUILTY OK - Lori Kastner, 44, murdered in her Tulsa home, 25 June 2008

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
A Tulsa woman was killed inside her home on Wednesday morning. Detectives say the homicide investigation is filled with twists and turns. Her husband says an intruder came in and shot them both with their own gun. He has an injury to his hand and was released from the hospital before noon.

~snip~

They have two children, who were home asleep during the shooting.

Officers say John Kastner called 911 around 4 a.m. They say he told them an intruder came into their home and demanded to see the teenage girl they'd taken into their home as a daughter and when they told him she wasn't there, the intruder shot Lori Kastner in the head several times.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=8551500&nav=menu682_2_1

John Kastner, a well-known coach at Webster High School, told officers he scuffled for the gun and was shot in the hand. He was taken to a Tulsa hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Two children inside the home were unharmed.

Police say the gun that was used in the shooting was the homeowner's gun.

"According to the homeowner, the pistol was in another part of the house," said Tulsa Police Corporal Josh Martin.

The suspect was described only as an adult male, about 40 years of age and dark-complected, but not African-American.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0608/530935.html (Bolded by me)

Her husband, John Kastner, told investigators they woke up to find a 19-year-old man standing next to their bed.

They say he demanded money, grabbed a handgun belonging to the family and shot Lori in her bed.

~snip~

The suspect is believed to be an acquaintance of the couple's 19-year-old daughter who no longer lives at the home.

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=717cd6a4-373c-46e2-8442-072c4e703f96 (Bolded by me)

Does it appear the husband is changing his stories? There is a huge jump between a 19 yo and a 40 yo! The fact she was shot in the face with their own gun is troubling, too. However, I talked to people who know them and say they both were great people. They can't imagine he had anything to do with this. I am not so sure. (Their passports for the trip to Israel today were found in the street by LE.)

The two children were taken into protective custody after the murder. (Is this normal when the father was only shot in the hand?)

West Tulsa is considered to be more a "small town" atmosphere separated from the rest of Tulsa by the Arkansas River. While having the reputation of it being "rough", the problems plaguing Tulsa with gangs have only set in the past few years.

I am curious to find out more about this 19 yo girl they took into their home to raise as a daughter (as one story mentioned). She wasn't in the home when the shootings took place, but supposedly the gunman was looking for her.

One news channel reported this morning that the description has now changed to a man in his mid 20s with a dark complection in a 90's model SUV. (No mention of why this keeps changing or is being reported so differently by other outlets.)

Very Odd if you were going to shoot someone and they are both in bed who would you shoot first? I would shoot the husband he is the one that would pose the greatest threat if he were to try and take gun away. I would shoot him first and then make wife give me what I wanted then shoot her.

Why didnt the kids wake up to the shots? Hmmm, neighbors didn't hear the shots? I am really wondering about the husband. Sounds fishy he only go shot in hand.:eek:

I think it sounds "fishy", too. For some reason, the passports laying in the street on the day they were flying off to Israel troubles me almost as much as how this supposed intruder knew where to find the pistol. With a 9 yo and 15 yo in the house...they left a loaded pistol out where a perp who just broke in moments before found it? You make a good point that the man would be the first one to take out in that situation, too.

I have only seen one neighbor interviewed and no mention if others heard the shots. One story said the neighbors woke to the sirens of LE and EMSA arriving on scene.

I am not certain how accurate this information is, but I heard that the husband started going deaf rather quickly and they have not found a cause. He was not going back to teach or coach in the fall because of it according to some people I heard discussing the case. However, he is well-liked and respected. It doesn't mean that an issue didn't arise that would cause him to attack his wife in such a way.

I hate suspecting the husband under the circumstances, but it is difficult not to at this point. If he did do this...he is also putting a huge burden on the 19yo girl they had taken in by saying it was someone looking for her. I can't imagine the guilt she would feel believing it was someone she brought into their lives.

I am not certain how accurate this information is, but I heard that the husband started going deaf rather quickly and they have not found a cause. He was not going back to teach or coach in the fall because of it according to some people I heard discussing the case. However, he is well-liked and respected. It doesn't mean that an issue didn't arise that would cause him to attack his wife in such a way.

I hate suspecting the husband under the circumstances, but it is difficult not to at this point. If he did do this...he is also putting a huge burden on the 19yo girl they had taken in by saying it was someone looking for her. I can't imagine the guilt she would feel believing it was someone she brought into their lives.

Hmm...going deaf for no reason..perhaps an oxycotin addiction..remember Rush Limbaugh..possibly murder for money for drugs.. also being in shot in the hand is reminiscent of Chris Vaughn..too much for my hinky meter to not be up..

About a half a dozen of the warrants were served, including one on the couple's home, in the 3800 block of South Union, once again. They also served a warrant for financial records and on a person.

~snip~

Detectives did say there were no signs of forced entry into the home and they said the rumor that everyone in Kastner's family passed a polygraph, is not true.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8562155 (Bolded by me)

Police say Lori Kastner, 44, a former attorney for the Oklahoma Supreme Court, was shot at least once in the head early Wednesday in her home.

~snip~

Chief Justice James Winchester called her "a dedicated and diligent attorney who worked for the court for more than a dozen years — first for the Court of Civil Appeals and then for the past three years for the Supreme Court.

http://newsok.com/police-investigate-tulsa-attorneys-murder/article/3262510/?tm=1214507495

Everything tonight looks more like it could be the husband. No forced entry. Their own gun. Shot in the hand. Search warrants for his home, finances, and other. Not looking good for him right now. He seems to have a lot of explaining to do.

Sad that the 19 year old had to think she was somehow responsible.

http://newsok.com/husband-arrested-in-wifes-slaying/article/3262938/?tm=1214578303

In a bizarre twist to a Tulsa homicide investigation, a Tulsa high school English teacher has been charged with his wife's murder on the day of her funeral. (more at link)

ETA: LE doesn't know where he is?

(snip)
Tulsa police officer Jason Willingham said police are currently looking for John Kastner, and expect an arrest before the end of the day, at which time, additional details will be released

Do they have him in custody? I can't tell from the article.

At the below link is an article regarding a bizarre speech given in May by John Kastner. There is a comment elaborating on his dismissal from his coaching job. Did he really have 200K to give? Was that delusions of granduer or desperation to keep his job? It seems his world was crumbling pretty quicky around him. Not sure how old the High School staff pic is, but his appearance has changed.

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:FATj8lMlEDwJ:www.bixbybulletin.com/site/news.cfm%3FBRD%3D2754%26dept_id%3D574073%26newsid%3D19686759%26PAG%3D461%26rfi%3D9+John+Kastner+webster+high+school&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=25&gl=us

Webster teacher and coach John Kastner said at the Athletic Awards Banquet Tuesday night that he will give $100,000 to Coach James Harper to distribute among the football coaching staff if the team wins five games this year.
He also offered $100,000 to principal Phil Garland to distribute if he can make a five percent improvement in the attendance rate.

Kastner said as well that he would offer a public resignation the Monday after football season ends if the team does not win five games.

(more and comment at the above link)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back