Supreme Court Affirms Right To Own Guns

southcitymom

Reaction score
Website
www.janicefahy.com
Supreme Court affirms individuals' right to own guns

By Associated Press
Published on: 06/26/08
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting, the justices' first major pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history.

The court's 5-4 ruling struck down the District of Columbia's 32-year-old ban on handguns as incompatible with gun rights under the Second Amendment. The decision went further than even the Bush administration wanted, but probably leaves most firearms laws intact.
The court had not conclusively interpreted the Second Amendment since its ratification in 1791. The amendment reads: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/new..._court_guns.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

I wonder if all the people bemoaning the liberal Court will change their tune!

:DWhy? They got one right this time. BTW, it wasn't the liberals

I am glad that they ruled this way. I was worried after that disgraceful ruling on eminent domain. I had completely lost faith in the Supreme Court at that point.

Now law abiding citizens can have guns instead of just the criminals.

Yeah :D If criminals can have them I want them too. I am a very responsible gun owner and keep mine locked up and separate from the bullets but If I need it its there. We can have ccw here too but Im not comfortable with that due to the nuts out there and road rage.

Well..it's a 32 year old ban, and DC's crime rate has been one of the highest in the nation in the last two or three decades.
It was a useless tool to combat gun crime. Glad to see it's been stricken down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G14-Classified
Back