NC - Amariyah, 2, & Kassandra Daniels, 19 mos, die in hot car, 27 June 2008

vibec

Reaction score
I dont even know why I'm posting this, it's too sad. Why does this keep happening? How can two tiny little girls just wander away?

MANNS HARBOR, N.C. --

Authorities say a 2-year-old girl and her 18-month old sister have been found dead in a car after they wandered away from home.

Dare County deputies say the girls were reported missing Friday afternoon and found 30 minutes later inside a neighbor's car. The younger girl was pronounced dead a short time later, while her sister died early Saturday morning.

http://www.charlotte.com/204/story/690925.html

Can you imagine what the parents are going through? Losing two children at once. Poor little angels :(

I dont even know why I'm posting this, it's too sad. Why does this keep happening? How can two tiny little girls just wander away?

MANNS HARBOR, N.C. --

Authorities say a 2-year-old girl and her 18-month old sister have been found dead in a car after they wandered away from home.

Dare County deputies say the girls were reported missing Friday afternoon and found 30 minutes later inside a neighbor's car. The younger girl was pronounced dead a short time later, while her sister died early Saturday morning.

http://www.charlotte.com/204/story/690925.html

While I don't blame the neighbor at all in this case, I have to wonder how the hell two children those ages just wandered away?? Clearly they were not old enough to be unsupervised:mad: The parents should feel aweful, IMO this was totally preventable had they been watching their children.

It says an older brother was outside with them, but how old was he? I agree, totally preventable.
I always keep my car locked, stories like this make me very glad I do!

VB

It says an older brother was outside with them, but how old was he? I agree, totally preventable.
I always keep my car locked, stories like this make me very glad I do!

VB

Older sibblings are never a substitute for parents. I also keep my truck locked.

Today, my son who is 2 got "lost".
He was missing for 5 minutes inside our house. It was horrible. We could not find him anywhere and while all the doors were locked and the alarm was set, I thought he got out of the house.

My eldest daughter ran down our long drive screaming her head off for him and the rest of us tore the house up, mind you this is only 5 minutes. We knew where he should be and what he should be doing, immediatly we knew something was wrong.

I cannot imagine not knowing where my child is for any longer than 5 minutes! I cannot imagine allowing him to wander off without having some type of safety precautions to make sure he didnt open the outside doors.

He was upstairs watching tv in the play room but it was horrible not knowing where he was.

(The parents should be charged for child neglect. The neighbors are innocent.)

Ditto.
A 2 yr old and an 18 mo old, wandering around?
Very sad. I'm guessing their brother was young also.
Where was the mom during this 30 mintues???

I think people need to withhold judgement until they know the whole story. It is terrible what happened to these little girls and most certainly preventable, but it is not necessarily criminal negligence. The mother thought the brother was watching them. Perhaps the brother thought the girls went with the mother, or he lost track of them for just a minute (just like pixies' son -- above) and then the search started right away.

This happened with my little brother many years ago after a day at Santa Monica beach, He was 3 and went with my sister (12) to load some things in the car. On their way back to the blankets, they passed me (10) on my way to the car and my sister told him to go with me. Apparently, he turned around and did not see me and I had no idea he was told to go with me. Santa Monica Beach is huge and very crowded in the summertime. The poor little thing was "lost" immediately and wandered down the beach about a quarter mile looking for me. We searched for him about an hour and found him safe at a lifeguard station. If something had happened to him, would my mother be accused of criminal negligence? She was busy packing up the food and all the big stuff and knew her 3-year-old was with his older sisters who were always responsible with him. The sisters messed up this time, but it was a mistake, not negligence on anybody's part. By the way, this was the early 70s when parents didn't obsess with fear over their 10- and 12-year-olds being out of their sight for more than a second -- the good old days.

We had a case here a few years ago...the Mom was asleep on the couch and the 3 small children got into the unlocked family car and played with a cigarette lighter. The car caught fire.. All were found dead......totally preventable and IMO the Mother was negligent..
But back to the case on this thread...until the facts about thechildren wandering off are known it is hard to know if parents are negligent or not..that said, kids need supervision all the time.Unfortunately some kids are great escape artists. What a waste of life..it does not take long for kids to die in closed up hot cars. It is an awful way to die. Every year here we lose a few to this type of sad occurence, even though the dangers of hot cars are well known.
I feel sorry for the poor neighbours..

Yes, that's sad. I was thinking too the parents were neglecting and wondering if they didn't say 30 minutes while it could have been a little more but I think these people don't need being punished I'm sure they've paid the highest price they could if they were negligent. How sad.

I was thinking that is terrible also for the boy he's gonna feel guilty all life long. Let's hope it's not him who put them in the car to be able to play quietly. Yet if he's young, it wouldn't really be his fault.

One time several years ago, something like this happened to us. My whole family was spending the day together. All my siblings and all the neices and nephews. There were 8 two year olds. We missed my neice, she had slipped away. We were all running around screaming her name. Someone finally thought to look in the cars. She had gotten into her car and buckled herself into her car seat. I assure you we weren't being negligent, it was an accident. My children could never open a car door at that age. I learned to always lock my door after that incident. I will be praying for this family. People now a days just do not believe in accidents anymore. Things do happen and they happen to the best of parents that have the best of intentions. It was preventable...most accidents are.

My heart breaks for everyone of them.
God bless the 2 little angels!!!

1 thing I was wondering about, with the babies being so young, would a 2 year old close a car door? I'm just thinking about the distance for her to have to reach it and also the weight.

VB

These are the stories that really rile me. Totally preventable on several counts. Lack of supervision of the children, car doors should be locked always (no different than insuring an old refrigerator has either the door off or a lock if left outside), and the adults need to take responsibility here.

I think leaving a 2 yo and an 18 mo without adult supervision is neglect no matter how you slice it. You should know where they are at all times and if they are getting outside by themselves...put a lock out of reach so it can't happen.

This is so so sad. I hate to pass judgement though considering I was in a simililar situation once when my doorbell rang. I went to the front door to answer it and it was a neighbor bringing me over peach cobbler for Thanksgiving the next day. Just in that short amount of time my 2 year old got out the back door. It took me all of 1 minute to figure out he wasn't in the house and run outside to look for him. It was freezing cold and pouring rain. I had every single neighbor in my neighborhood out looking with me and we called the MP's immediately. Within 30 minutes someone brought my son home. They saw him walking along side the road and recognized him. The police made me write a statement and everything during that time my husband came home from work and completely tore me up in front of the MP's. I was in tears and ready to collapse. That day was pure hell for me and I love and adore my son and would NEVER be negligent. I still think of the ''what if's'' of that day and it makes me physically ill..

This is so so sad. I hate to pass judgement though considering I was in a simililar situation once when my doorbell rang. I went to the front door to answer it and it was a neighbor bringing me over peach cobbler for Thanksgiving the next day. Just in that short amount of time my 2 year old got out the back door. It took me all of 1 minute to figure out he wasn't in the house and run outside to look for him. It was freezing cold and pouring rain. I had every single neighbor in my neighborhood out looking with me and we called the MP's immediately. Within 30 minutes someone brought my son home. They saw him walking along side the road and recognized him. The police made me write a statement and everything during that time my husband came home from work and completely tore me up in front of the MP's. I was in tears and ready to collapse. That day was pure hell for me and I love and adore my son and would NEVER be negligent. I still think of the ''what if's'' of that day and it makes me physically ill..
OMGosh sadie! I am glad that everything turned out ok. Gosh...just to think of the outcome...and you are a responsible parent. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back