674 users online (74 members and 600 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CA Death Penalty Close to Collapse

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...r=HOME_4221905
    June 30, 2008
    (AP) California's 30-year-old death penalty, which costs more than $100 million annually to administer, is "close to collapse," according to a new report issued Monday.

The California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice, appointed by the state Legislature to propose criminal justice reforms, issued a 117-page report detailing a deeply flawed death penalty system that has the biggest backlog of cases in the nation.

The commission stopped short of calling for the abolition of the state's death penalty, but did note that California would save hundreds of millions of dollars throughout the criminal justice system if capital punishment were eliminated. It said most condemned inmates are essentially given life sentences because so few executions are carried out.

The commission blamed inadequate legal representation, a broad death penalty law that makes nearly all first-degree murder cases eligible for the death penalty and a host of other issues that has made California capital punishment system "dysfunctional."

"It is the law in name only, and not in reality," the report stated.

The commission did recommended that California double its annual amount of capital punishment spending to hire more defense lawyers and prosecutors, among other improvements.
    (more at link)

I hope that California (and all the other death penalty states) abolish it. It is a barbaric thing and something that I hope we, as a nation, can rise above soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Grainne Dhu View Post
    I hope that California (and all the other death penalty states) abolish it. It is a barbaric thing and something that I hope we, as a nation, can rise above soon.
    Not before they off Scott Peterson........
    Last edited by snvoigt; 07-01-2008 at 12:07 PM. Reason: missing a y in "they"

Well let's just hope all the murderers start "rising above" murdering then, shall we? Yes, let's just hope that none of these murderers who were not barbarically put to death ever get out to innocently carve up another human being. We wouldn't want to ever hurt a poor criminal now would we? Sorry, I'd rather be alive than enlightened.

Welcome, Grainne Dhu. There's a very interesting DP thread in the Parking Lot with lots of good discussion.

I wonder what CA will do to address the issues raised in this report.?

Quote Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
    Well let's just hope all the murderers start "rising above" murdering then, shall we? Yes, let's just hope that none of these murderers who were not barbarically put to death ever get out to innocently carve up another human being. We wouldn't want to ever hurt a poor criminal now would we? Sorry, I'd rather be alive than enlightened.
    That's a false choice. No one is suggesting that the alternative to the death penalty is to turn violent criminals loose on the streets.

I strive in my own behaviour to a higher standard than a murderer. I *want* to be different (better) than a murderer.

I believe that the way to progress as a society is to set our standards higher than those of a murderer. This cannot happen while we are still condoning killing other human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by snvoigt View Post

That's what I was thinking. Scott Peterson can't be getting out someday after what he did to Laci and Connor.

OMGosh...would you believe that when I saw this article, it was the first thing I thought of myself!??!

Quote Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post

Scott Peterson nuthin, not before they put the creatures who murdered (and helped to murder) Tori Vienneau and Dean Springstube to death. Death, so the rest of society will be safe from them. The Judge compared this case to the Manson murders, and the DA said it will go in the history books as the most horrific homicide in San Diego history. The news story that originally had the information has been altered, so I don't have a cite for that. *wry*

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    Scott Peterson nuthin, not before they put the creatures who murdered (and helped to murder) Tori Vienneau and Dean Springstube to death. Death, so the rest of society will be safe from them. The Judge compared this case to the Manson murders, and the DA said it will go in the history books as the most horrific homicide in San Diego history. The news story that originally had the information has been altered, so I don't have a cite for that. *wry*
    Yeah...add that POS to the list too PLEASE!!! OMGosh....

That's a false choice. No one is suggesting that the alternative to the death penalty is to turn violent criminals loose on the streets.

I strive in my own behaviour to a higher standard than a murderer. I *want* to be different (better) than a murderer.

I believe that the way to progress as a society is to set our standards higher than those of a murderer. This cannot happen while we are still condoning killing other human beings.
    Even without the Death Penalty, War happens, those countries who follow the UN's lead, and don't have a Death Penalty still go to War either to aid Allies who are at war, or to defend themselves...

I read that in order for him to actually be executed at the rate California does executions it will take 300 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by becklynn View Post
    I read that in order for him to actually be executed at the rate California does executions it will take 300 yrs.
    I say bring him to Texas. We will take care of him for California!

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    Even without the Death Penalty, War happens, those countries who follow the UN's lead, and don't have a Death Penalty still go to War either to aid Allies who are at war, or to defend themselves...
    I think war is more akin to self defence than it is to the death penalty.

Progress is never universal and instantaneous. For instance, it is only in the last 300 years that slavery has become unacceptable and there are still a few places where slavery (or the equivalent) is acceptable. But slowly, country by country, slavery is being erradicated.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast