Monster crab with claws the size of a man's hand captured

I'm preparing to boil the water now....
YUM

yummy yummy! Though, aren't they difficult to cook evenly when they are that large?

When I think of crabs, I think of...body lice...
I'm just sayin.....:rolleyes:

Yeah, why not just leave it where it was? I'm a meat eater myself but I don't really see the point of something like OMG ITZ HUGE lets eat it!! Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Yeah, why not just leave it where it was? I'm a meat eater myself but I don't really see the point of something like OMG ITZ HUGE lets eat it!! Different strokes for different folks I guess.
I would imagine the meat was kind of tough being that it was so big.

Yeah, I would have eaten it too. To me it would be scrumptious food.

I wouldnt have ate it but I'd have ran away from it like a big baby:)

That is kind of sad...aren't the really big ones quite old? I remember something about a huge lobster that was caught somewhere..I think he was donated to an aquarium (maybe lol I can't remember for sure) because he was so old. I think they figured he must have been in his 60's or so IIRC. For a lobster thats ancient I guess!

I wish the poor creature could have been left alone. Sounds as though he/she was king/queen of its domain. This reminded me of something and I hope you don't mind but I had to share. Five years ago my father came over and he had two huge live crabs a friend had given him at the pub tied up in a hessian sack. He put the sack in the laundry tubs under a dripping tap. Dad was thrilled about these 'beauties'. He loves seafood. I was very upset. I pictured the poor things in the dark sack, terrified, wondering what gives and knowing they were helpless. I begged Dad to let them go. I offered to pay him and buy him a seafood dinner if he would let them go in the river. He said "No. Don't be bloody ridiculous". Half an hour passed and I was still trying to think of ways to save them when Dad came to me and said (reluctantly) "I 'spose (sigh) I can let 'em go." We drove to the river bank. Dad had a this-is-ridiculous-I-can't-believe-I'm doing-this expression the whole way. We got out of the car and Dad used a knife to untie the string binding them. He gave me a look when he cut his thumb with this knife. After they were freed the crabs scuttled down the concrete steps and into the river hopefully wise enough to avoid traps this time. They would fall down one step onto their back, right themselves, and repeat the process till they got all the way down to the river. Dad had such a sad look on his face when he watched the crabs bob away. I was very tempted to sing "Born Free" but thought better of it. In the car Dad was silent but once we got home he made me promise not to tell anyone. I'm sure when his friend asked him about them Dad said something like "They were delicious mate."

I wish the poor creature could have been left alone. Sounds as though he/she was king/queen of its domain. This reminded me of something and I hope you don't mind but I had to share. Five years ago my father came over and he had two huge live crabs a friend had given him at the pub tied up in a hessian sack. He put the sack in the laundry tubs under a dripping tap. Dad was thrilled about these 'beauties'. He loves seafood. I was very upset. I pictured the poor things in the dark sack, terrified, wondering what gives and knowing they were helpless. I begged Dad to let them go. I offered to pay him and buy him a seafood dinner if he would let them go in the river. He said "No. Don't be bloody ridiculous". Half an hour passed and I was still trying to think of ways to save them when Dad came to me and said (reluctantly) "I 'spose (sigh) I can let 'em go." We drove to the river bank. Dad had a this-is-ridiculous-I-can't-believe-I'm doing-this expression the whole way. We got out of the car and Dad used a knife to untie the string binding them. He gave me a look when he cut his thumb with this knife. After they were freed the crabs scuttled down the concrete steps and into the river hopefully wise enough to avoid traps this time. They would fall down one step onto their back, right themselves, and repeat the process till they got all the way down to the river. Dad had such a sad look on his face when he watched the crabs bob away. I was very tempted to sing "Born Free" but thought better of it. In the car Dad was silent but once we got home he made me promise not to tell anyone. I'm sure when his friend asked him about them Dad said something like "They were delicious mate."

I LOVED that story. I did something similar with a fish my cousin caught once but your story was great and I can imagine your Dad's dilemna lol.
Like you though, I think they should have left the crab in this report alone.
Thanks for sharing your story:blowkiss:

Thanks Ciara. :blowkiss: My dad would be horrified if any of his buddies found out. I will never forget the wistful look on his face as he stood there holding his bleeding thumb and watching the crabs float away. I really had to bite my lip not to sing Born Free. I just wish I could have saved the big crab in the news story. You managed to save a fish? :blowkiss: Two great minds think alike.

I don't think crabs have people emotions and the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was I will grab the drawn butter and lemons!

But like Bakers said it was probably old and the meat would not be the best.

I don't think crabs have people emotions and the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was I will grab the drawn butter and lemons!

But like Bakers said it was probably old and the meat would not be the best.
Yes it was likely tough but the idea of a crab claw that big with butter and lemon.....What were we discussing?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back