Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Demand Change In Vermont Law

Demand Change In Vermont Law

Please post all of your ideas, letters, campaigns, and other thoughts about changing the laws in Vermont here. This is the place to discuss it!
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by EYL View Post
    The Vermont Legislature Legislative Directory

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/legdir/alpha.cfm?Body=S

Includes mailing addresses, email addresses, fax numbers, and phone numbers
    Good post! Thanks!
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Thanks to MsHolmes

Feel free to change the text and repost.

Dear Vermont Senator:

Brooke Bennett was killed by a previously convicted sex offender Michael Jacques. She was 12 years old and was apparently killed by her Uncle for sex. Michael Jacques was let out of prison after serving 3 years for kidnapping and rape, now he has committed murder against his 12 year old niece for sex. You've heard the news, seen the pictures. Do you have children? Are you ready to enact Jessica's Law yet?

The law is named after Jessica Lunsford, a young Florida girl who was raped and murdered in February 2005 by John Couey, a previously convicted sex offender. Public outrage over this case spurred Florida officials to introduce this legislation. Among the key provisions of the law are a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years in prison[2] and lifetime electronic monitoring[3] of adults convicted of lewd or lascivious acts against a victim less than 12 years old. In Florida, sexual battery or rape of a child less than twelve years old is a capital felony, punishable only by death or life imprisonment with no chance of parole. Taken from Wikipedia.

Please tell me your stance now on this law after this brutal killing of a 12 year old girl in your state by a previous sex offender and kidnapper. Can you tell me whose decision it was to let Michael Jacques out of prison after only serving 3 years for rape and kidnapping?

The country is looking at you to pass this law in your state now.

Hoping to hear from you.

Send to:

The Vermont Legislature
    Legislative Directory
    E-Mail Addresses for Senators
    2007-2008 Legislative Session

cayer@leg.state.vt.us; sbartlett@leg.state.vt.us; jcampbell@leg.state.vt.us; vt13@aol.com; bcarris@leg.state.vt.us; bill.carris@carris.net; bill.carris@carris.net; dcollins@leg.state.vt.us; jcondos@leg.state.vt.us; gcoppenrath@leg.state.vt.us; george.coppenrath@gmail.com; acummings@leg.state.vt.us; wdoyle@leg.state.vt.us; EFlanagan@leg.state.vt.us; hgiard@leg.state.vt.us; rhartwell@leg.state.vt.us; hartlaw@sover.net; villuzzi@leg.state.vt.us; janek45@hotmail.com; skittell@leg.state.vt.us; vlyons@leg.state.vt.us; vvlyons@cs.com; mmacdonald@leg.state.vt.us; senatormark@aol.com; Hull@sover.net; rmccormack@leg.state.vt.us; dick@mccormack4vt.com; hmiller@leg.state.vt.us; hinda@deforestconcepts.com; kjmbjm@aol.com; anitka@leg.state.vt.us; alicenitka@comcast.net; dracine@leg.state.vt.us; pscott14@aol.com; rsears@leg.state.vt.us; senprespt@leg.state.vt.us; dsnelling@leg.state.vt.us; jwhite@leg.state.vt.us

Speaking of...Please visit Project Jason's Campaign for the Missing. http://voice4themissing.blogspot.com...sing-2006.html

You can make a difference in your state!

Email me or Kelly to inquire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just sent the first batch. I did leave out Jacques until the end. Guilty til proven innocent thing. Anyhow it went out fine, I see how many bounce back.

Subject line I used:
    Vermont: Your hug a thug rehab program isn't working.

Dear Vermont Senator:

Brooke Bennett was killed by a previously convicted sex offender. She was 12 years old and was apparently killed by her uncle for sex. This sexual offender was let out of prison after serving 3 years for kidnapping and rape, now he has committed murder against his 12 year old niece for sex. You've heard the news, seen the pictures. Do you have children? Are you ready to enact Jessica's Law yet?

The law is named after Jessica Lunsford, a young Florida girl who was raped and murdered in February 2005 by John Couey, a previously convicted sex offender. Public outrage over this case spurred Florida officials to introduce this legislation. Among the key provisions of the law are a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years in prison[2] and lifetime electronic monitoring[3] of adults convicted of lewd or lascivious acts against a victim less than 12 years old. In Florida, sexual battery or rape of a child less than twelve years old is a capital felony, punishable only by death or life imprisonment with no chance of parole. Taken from Wikipedia.

Please tell me your stance now on this law after this brutal killing of a 12 year old girl in your state by a previous sex offender and kidnapper. Can you tell me whose decision it was to let the alledged killer,Michael Jacques out of prison after only serving 3 years for rape and kidnapping?

Hoping to hear from you.

First answer back.

Thank you for your email. Due to the large number of emails received it may take a little time to respond. I will try to reply as soon as possible
    Diane Snelling, Vermont legislature

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    I just sent the first batch. I did leave out Jacques until the end. Guilty til proven innocent thing. Anyhow it went out fine, I see how many bounce back.

Subject line I used:

Dear Vermont Senator:

Brooke Bennett was killed by a previously convicted sex offender. She was 12 years old and was apparently killed by her uncle for sex. This sexual offender was let out of prison after serving 3 years for kidnapping and rape, now he has committed murder against his 12 year old niece for sex. You've heard the news, seen the pictures. Do you have children? Are you ready to enact Jessica's Law yet?

Please tell me your stance now on this law after this brutal killing of a 12 year old girl in your state by a previous sex offender and kidnapper. Can you tell me whose decision it was to let the alledged killer,Michael Jacques out of prison after only serving 3 years for rape and kidnapping?

Hoping to hear from you.

Answer #2

Hello,
    In Vermont, this is a time of mourning, prayer and reflection, compassion for the victims and solidarity as a community. For any politician to use this moment as an opportunity to comment on any agenda, including a good one, would be ugly and disrespectful. Please get back in touch at a more appropriate time.
    Senator Dick McCormack

Hello,
    In Vermont, this is a time of mourning, prayer and reflection, compassion for the victims and solidarity as a community. For any politician to use this moment as an opportunity to comment on any agenda, including a good one, would be ugly and disrespectful. Please get back in touch at a more appropriate time.
    Senator Dick McCormack
    Out of respect of the family, we as a nation should be demanding immediate action!

Subject line I used:

Dear Vermont Senator:

Hoping to hear from you.
    Did you sign your name? I am guessing so. Drafting my letter now

Hello,
    Senator Dick McCormack
    I find that incredibly insulting.

Yes. Please try and get back in touch before the next child is killed by a sex offender.

Now is the time for this politician to stand up and represent the people who elected him and defend them.

Response from Senator Dick McCormack

Hello ********:
    Please re-send your email to me in about two weeks. Given that the defendant was under state supervision when he allegedly committed his crimes, a reconsideration of Vermont's child protection policy is surely in order. But this is not the moment. This is a moment of mourning, prayer and reflection, compassion for this poor little girl and her heart broken parents, and mutual comfort within our community. For me or any politician to use this tragedy at this time to advance any agenda, even a good one, would be ugly and disrespectful.

After a decent interval, I look forward to a serious discussion.
    Senator Dick McCormack

Just out of curiosity, how many of you writing are Vermonters?

Here is mine!

Dear Vermont Senator:

How many more Sex offenders will walk the streets, stalk the internet and prey on our youth before tougher laws and sentencing are enacted? How is it that a convicted rapist and kidnapper goes free after only serving 3 years for his disgustingly awful crime?

The law is named after Jessica Lunsford, a young
    Florida girl who was raped and murdered in February 2005 by John Couey, a previously convicted sex offender. Public outrage over this case spurred Florida officials to introduce this legislation. Among the key provisions of the law are a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years in prison [2] and lifetime electronic monitoring [3] of adults convicted of lewd or lascivious acts against a victim less than 12 years old. In Florida, sexual battery or rape of a child less than twelve years old is a capital felony, punishable only by death or life imprisonment with no chance of parole.

Your State needs action, our Nation needs action, and the children of our future need you to take action. We owe it to this family and the many more around the country to enact stricter and permanent penalties for these monsters. One more child does not have to die!

Hoping to hear you thoughts and stance on this very important issue,

I signed my name, and Fl resident.

Quote Originally Posted by FourWands View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how many of you writing are Vermonters?
    California , but the issue should be and needs to be addressed across our nation. We have how many websleuthers? Could you imagine the campaign we could launch if each sleuther and two of their family members sent similar letters to their Senators? Power in the people ya'll. Let's do this!

I signed my name, and Fl resident.
    Bulk e-mail or did you go individually?

Bulk email

Done!

Anxiously awaiting responses.

Thank you for your email. Due to the large number of emails received it may take a little time to respond. I will try to reply as soon as possible
    Diane Snelling, Vermont legislature
    I got the same response form her, must be automated.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerprune64 View Post
    California , but the issue should be and needs to be addressed across our nation. We have how many websleuthers? Could you imagine the campaign we could launch if each sleuther and two of their family members sent similar letters to their Senators? Power in the people ya'll. Let's do this!

I agree - and don't think that the people don't have a voice. I know a certain television reporter who was removed from a speaking engagement for the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children as a result of a petition and email campaign after he opened his raunchy mouth about Shawn Hornbeck.

National laws being changed is one thing... changing laws in a state you don't live in is another. I agree a national law on this might be the way to go but I don't see how our State Legislators are going to be swayed by letters from those other than their constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by FourWands View Post
    National laws being changed is one thing... changing laws in a state you don't live in is another. I agree a national law on this might be the way to go but I don't see how our State Legislators are going to be swayed by letters from those other than their constituents.
    And how would they know that I was anything but one of their constiuents? I didn't put what state I am from. But I mean really if the people of Vermont are already taking action in this regard, then what could a little help from the "outsiders" hurt? I for one am willing to take the chance that my voice may be heard.

Reading the history of Jessica's Law might help understand changing state laws.

Thirty Three states have passed or updated their laws after being hounded by folks like us, Mark Lunsford, Fox media such as Bill O'Reilly, and a whole host of politicians.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast