1025 users online (182 members and 843 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Sears: Harsher sentences for sex offenders likely

.....................snip........................

Judge Walter Morris said the courts' approach to sexual offenders has evolved since he assumed a seat on the bench in the 1980s.

"The cases are very complex in terms of evidence at the trial level and very complex in terms of sentencing," Morris said. "We've come a long way with regard to our understanding of the epidemic of sexual offenses, and how they might fit in our traditional longstanding way of sentencing."

Morris also defended a Department of Corrections that has come under fire in the wake of the Bennett murder. In his experience, Morris said, probation and parole officers have been diligent in keeping the court informed of an offender's lapses.

"I assign significant credibility to the management of offenders in the community by corrections officers," Morris said. "Are there offender behaviors missed by supervising officers? Yes, they're human But over the years corrections has gotten far better with communication "

Morris raised concerns over the manner in which sex offenders are currently discharged from probation. Instituting a more intensive discharge policy, he said, might alleviate those concerns.

"Historically, requests for discharge come in on the same form as a discharge from driving with a suspended license or driving under the influence," Morris said. "It's very brief, skeletal information."

Including a broader history of the offender's treatment regimen, as well as informed assessments of his progress, Morris said, would give judges a better framework in which to make those decisions.

Rob Hofmann, commissioner of the Department of Corrections, said that his staff is conducting an internal review of departmental procedures, a process that began last year but has intensified since the Bennett murder.

<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>
    http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs....31/1004/SPORTS

Everyone can jump on the anti-Vermont bandwagon, but take a look at the entire country -- rape, child abuse, domestic abuse...the laws need to be overhauled from the root to the branch.

http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=9211057

I personally do not care how much it costs.......DO IT NOW

Everyone can jump on the anti-Vermont bandwagon, but take a look at the entire country -- rape, child abuse, domestic abuse...the laws need to be overhauled from the root to the branch.
    I agree...once these pedophiles are caught and jailed, they should NEVER be let out again. I think the 25 year min sentence is ok for some but what about people who are jailed when they are 20 years old? They are out again at 45, still have a good part of their life to live as a free person and most likely going to re-offend. I like a mandatory life w/out parole sentence for any person who violates a child in any way, no ifs ands or buts about it....I also think their right to a public defender should be waived. I dont care if you live in a cardboard box and dont have a penny to your name. If you molest a child and can't afford your own attorney then I guess you are SOL!

bdmama-

I agree. Why are the right of the offenders held above the rights of an innocent child? Because the child can't/doesn't want to testify against the scum that abused them? Why can't the judiciary branch understand that all these pedophiles know how the system works and use it to their advantage? Would that judge feel differently about the sentencing guidlines if THEIR child had been abused? I think they would.

I have a very non-P.C. method of control for these scum bags. Please don't read any further if you are the wilting flower kind of poster:

Lets find a deserted island waaaaaaayyyy out, no swimming back -and round up all the pedophiles, put them on the island-no food, clothing or fresh water, they aren't gonna need it. Next, round up all the die-hard hunters, you know the type, just want the trophy.....no license needed.............no bag limit..............choose your weapon.................GO TO TOWN!!!!!!!!!!! CLEAN THEM ALL UP!!!!!!!! Alternate scenario would be to forgo the hunters and just have "Pedophile Island", the new reality series, where they do each other in with () the "weapon of their choice" and we get to watch from the comfort of our sofas (of course, the censors will save us from the parts we don't want to watch)!

I'm a reasonable woman, you get one chance to prove you either didn't do it, didn't mean to, or will NEVER DO IT AGAIN. Strike two, your off to the island. That might slow 'em down.

Sorry if I offended anyone. Just how I feel. I don't believe they DESERVE prison.
    Last edited by IWannaKnow; 10-24-2008 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added apology

Looks as though Vermont needs to change more than the laws.

Sex offender in Vermont seeks state Senate seat

I remember reading about him awhile ago, I wonder how many votes he got, if any.

can't forget about Tara.....

Not sure if anybody knew of this story or not.....This girl was from Randolph and moved to Barre not long before she was killed . The man that murdered her lived right down the road from me here in Randolph, I also worked with Tara briefly, such a beautiful, sweet girl.

http://www.rherald.com/News/2003/031..._page/f01.html

hey bdmama -- sorry to hear about this.

there's not much one can say and we don't talk much about the impact of these crimes to others much outside the families. it's clear that murders touch many outside the victim's immediate circle and another reason that laws need to reflect the real impact these perpetrators have on day to day life.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8