Tropical Storm Bertha forms--and sets a record. Atlantic

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
Tropical Storm Bertha is here. Overnight, a significant amount of heavy thunderstorm activity built up around the center, aided by Sea Surface Temperatures (SSTs) about 26°C (1°C above average for this date). This temperature is right at the threshold of where tropical storms can form. Also aiding the storm is 5-10 knots of wind shear. Bertha has good organization and a favorable environment for intensification, and should continue to slowly intensify today. There is not much African dust or dry air near the storm, and the main impediment to future intensification will be a region of colder SSTs the storm will track over on Friday and Saturday. These cooler SSTs have created some stable air to the northwest of Bertha. Evidence of this stable air in satellite imagery (Figure 1) can be seen in the form of a large area of stratocumulus clouds to the northwest of Bertha.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=973&tstamp=200807

What's the record it set? :confused: :waitasec:

The hurricane season of 2008 sets a new record
Today's formation of Bertha at 25° West longitude is the farthest east a tropical storm has ever formed in the Atlantic so early in the season. It is also the farthest east a tropical storm has formed in the month of July. Reliable records of Eastern Atlantic storms go back to 1967, the beginning of the geostationary satellite era.

Bertha....

Perfect name for a bruiser.

BB, thanks for the link to a very cool weather site. Bookmarked!

Thanks for the info BB. ;)
Sounds like the could possibly be one to watch.
Fires, rain, floods, hurricanes,
I can tell ya what I think it means.:help::raincloud::spinner:

I wish storms and cyclones and other destructive acts of nature weren't always named after women. Men can be just as destructive. Why not Cyclone Tommy Lee? ;)

I wish storms and cyclones and other destructive acts of nature weren't always named after women. Men can be just as destructive. Why not Cyclone Tommy Lee? ;)
Dead Right Kiki...:clap:
I started a thread in the offbeat and bizarre news section that has pics of simulated "floating cities" that they reckon will in future be used for people displaced by storms and floods and such. The pics are pretty cool although I am not sure I would want to live on one

Hurricane names have included men's names since 1979. Andrew and Hugo come to mind right away.

I am tired of hurricanes. I got tired of them after Hurricane Fran. :/ Someone send them away.

I am tired of hurricanes. I got tired of them after Hurricane Fran. :/ Someone send them away.

Oh, me too. I was never really homeless. I had money for a motel for a few nights but I stayed alone with my kids thru our roof blowing off and our windows blowing in for 2 hurricanes. For Opal I could not get back to my home for 3 days and then the conditions were horrible. I'll never sit one out again. That was my ex's decision and he was not there. Let them all go anywhere but here. Sorry for anyone in the path but I cannot take anymore. I told my BF already we are leaving and well ahead of time. I am taking my dog and cat and we will be gone.

Mother nature hates me!! :| I did this same song and dance 2 years ago, when a hurricane played cat & mouse with me before I left for my Kona, HI vacation. At one point, the hurricane was heading straight at the Big Island. Thankfully it fell apart, but we did have to contend with wind and rain for a while, which was no fun for a vacation. To the present: here I sit, same darn worry because I'm heading to Florida for my vacation (no Hawaii... airline tickets are too high) and one of the NOAA's tracks has Bertha coming close to Florida as we are in the middle of our trip. :( (outer bands of a hurricane drifting the Florida way, means loads of rain... which would totally screw with our vacation.)

I'm going nowhere, next year... but knowing my luck, Mother Nature will send a hurricane up the into the Bay, like she did with Hurricane Isabel. I'm telling ya, Mother Nature hates me... :(

Oh, me too. I was never really homeless. I had money for a motel for a few nights but I stayed alone with my kids thru our roof blowing off and our windows blowing in for 2 hurricanes. For Opal I could not get back to my home for 3 days and then the conditions were horrible. I'll never sit one out again. That was my ex's decision and he was not there. Let them all go anywhere but here. Sorry for anyone in the path but I cannot take anymore. I told my BF already we are leaving and well ahead of time. I am taking my dog and cat and we will be gone.

I had family members living in Charleston when Hurricane Hugo hit... they stayed with their daughter in the old part of Charleston, because she had a historical home that they were afraid would end up looted if they left it. After Hugo finished its deluge and destruction, they vowed to never ride one out, again... Uncle R said that he cried like a baby during the bad parts, because he really was afraid he was about to die. Isabel hitting us up here in the DC/VA/MD area was a learning lesson: rarely does a hurricane come up the Chesapeake Bay... but it can happen and the houses just aren't built for such weather. My daughter and I huddled on our bed scared to death... the most I had ever been through hurricane wise was Hugo when I lived in SC... but we lived on the other side of SC, so all we got was rain and wind. The Isabel experience was scarier, but thankfully our house fared well because it is a stone house... but quite a few big trees out back were yanked out of the ground. Hurricanes scared the heck out of me...

On a lighter note: my daughter was born exactly 9 months after Hugo hit... we tease her that she is a hurricane baby.

So far it looks like I will be safe here in the Keys:)

I have evacuated for so many hurricanes the past few years that I am really good at it!

I had family members living in Charleston when Hurricane Hugo hit... they stayed with their daughter in the old part of Charleston, because she had a historical home that they were afraid would end up looted if they left it. After Hugo finished its deluge and destruction, they vowed to never ride one out, again... Uncle R said that he cried like a baby during the bad parts, because he really was afraid he was about to die. Isabel hitting us up here in the DC/VA/MD area was a learning lesson: rarely does a hurricane come up the Chesapeake Bay... but it can happen and the houses just aren't built for such weather. My daughter and I huddled on our bed scared to death... the most I had ever been through hurricane wise was Hugo when I lived in SC... but we lived on the other side of SC, so all we got was rain and wind. The Isabel experience was scarier, but thankfully our house fared well because it is a stone house... but quite a few big trees out back were yanked out of the ground. Hurricanes scared the heck out of me...

On a lighter note: my daughter was born exactly 9 months after Hugo hit... we tease her that she is a hurricane baby.

We know how your daughters hubby calmed down!
I wanted to leave for three hurricanes. Opal, Dennis and and Ivan. I did leave for Opal but it turned out to be a wrong move. No one was allowed back to their homes for 3 days and then it was Marshall Law. For Dennis and Ivan my ex was commanding I move half the house with me because he was off shore. I had no way of taking everything especially not 3 cars when I was the only one old enough to drive. So we argued until the last minute. I had already reserved rooms for me and the kids both times.
Dennis and Ivan produced tornadoes that went over our house. I was sitting at my computer desk 3 ft from a wall of windows that suddenly crashed into the dining/living room area with Dennis.
With Ivan we had a tornado come over and take the tiles off the roof so all the rain came in and there was nothing we could do except hope another tornado did not come.
I will never wait a hurricane out again. My ex made me do it before and I know it is not only my life but anyone that may have to rescue me that is in jeopardy. I also will go ahead and make plans for my dog like I had arranged before. He goes where I go.
For anyone even considering not evacuating for a hurricane I say get gallons of water now. They will be gone when you need them. Buy canned food. Who cares if it is hot or cold if you are hungry? And I always keep a tent in my truck. If you cannot stay in your house after a hurricane then a tent will allow you to have some shelter without having to go to one.I am really afraid of hurricanes now.

I do like finding out about the really old ones. Supposedly the first one was in Jamestown; they just didn't know what it was then.

Looks like may give the lesser antilles some trouble but should head toward the Carolina's but turn out to sea rather than come on land. Of course anything goes, as we all know too well.
5 day tracking map
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200802_5day.html#a_topad

I wish it would hit Carolina as a tropical storm with no one getting hurt of course. The weather man says a tropical storm is the only thing that is going to put out the fires there. The smoke blows up here and chokes us. If there is not a significant prolonged rain event, like they type from a tropical storm, they are saying we will have to deal with the fires and smoke all summer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back