RIP Bozo the Clown

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Larry Harmon wasn't the original Bozo the Clown, but he was the real one.

Harmon, who portrayed the wing-haired clown for more than half a century, died Thursday of congestive heart failure, said his publicist, Jerry Digney. He was 83.

As an entrepreneur, Harmon licensed the character to others, particularly dozens of television stations around the country. The stations in turn hired actors to be their local Bozos.

"Bozo is a combination of the wonderful wisdom of the adult and the childlike ways in all of us," Harmon told The Associated Press in a 1996 interview.

Pinto Colvig, who provided the voice for Walt Disney's Goofy, was the first Bozo the Clown, a character created by writer-producer Alan W. Livingston for a series of children's records in 1946. Livingston said he came up with the name Bozo after polling several people at Capitol Records.

Harmon would later meet his alter ego while answering a casting call to make personal appearances as a clown to promote the records.
He got that job and eventually bought the rights to Bozo. Along the way, he embellished Bozo's distinctive look: the orange-tufted hair, the bulbous nose, the outlandish red, white and blue costume.

More at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080704/ap_on_en_tv/obit_harmon;_ylt=AtkeH5KO.s5xrm7t1QkUPvKs0NUE

Awww may he Rest in Peace:blowkiss:

Was he the clown on the "Bozo, the Kids show?"
Was that the name of it? I forget?
Where it had the kids games? One I remember especially is throwing the ball in the pail...and the pails got further and further away? Man I always wanted to go on that show!

Clowns scare me but its sad that Bozo has passed on .RIP.

I used to love the Bucket Game they had on that show. We had a home version of it, and my sister and I would play it all the time.

I'm with Dingo, clowns freak me out, but I'm sad to hear about Bozo...

I can remember watching Bozo the Clown along with Romper Room. Captain Kangaroo and Hobo Kelly in the 60s when I was very young. I have no recollection of any specific games, just that it was a clown (THE clown) and a bunch of kids in the audience having a lot of fun.

RIP Bozo.

Clowns scare me but its sad that Bozo has passed on .RIP.

Clowns kind of creep me out also. I think it was that I watched the movie IT when I was young.

Rip Bozo and peace be with your family

I can remember watching Bozo the Clown along with Romper Room. Captain Kangaroo and Hobo Kellu in the 60s when I was very young and. I have no recollection of any specific games, just that it was a clown (THE clown) and a bunch of kids in the audience having a lot of fun.

RIP Bozo.
Omgosh we must be about the same age Cypros. I loved Bozo, watched Romper Room and Captain Kangaroo every day.
Rest in peace Bozo.

Clowns kind of creep me out also. I think it was that I watched the movie IT when I was young.

Rip Bozo and peace be with your family
Thats what done it with me..that was one creepy movie:)

I generally can't stand clowns either. But Bozo, well what can I say, he was special.

RIP Bozo

Good memories....I would walk home from school every afternoon for lunch and watch Bozo Circus while my brothers and sister and I all ate together and we were just mesmerized. Such a great childhood memory. Then we walked back to school for the rest of the day.

Once, my older brothers got tickets once (which were very hard to get and some people used to put their kids on the waiting list when they were born to get a chance) and they were on the show and saw it up close.

They didn't get picked by the magic arrow for the "Grand....Prize....Game!" but that had a very fun day with my dad.

He was the best! :cry:

Bozo and Ringling Brothers are the reason that clowns make me nauseous to this day, lol! Even as a little little one, the whole painted on smile thing used to FREAK ME OUT!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back