Thread: Jesse Helms dead at age 86

Jesse Helms dead at age 86

http://www.wral.com/news/local/politics/story/1755723/
    Posted: Today at 10:25 a.m.
    Updated: 8 minutes ago
    Raleigh, N.C. Jesse Helms, the firebrand U.S. senator whose outspoken, conservative views polarized North Carolina and U.S. voters for decades, died at 1:15 a.m. Friday in Raleigh, according to John Dodd, president of the Jesse Helms Center.
    He joins the second and third presidents of the United States Thomas Jefferson and John Adams Jr. who both also died on Independence Day.

"I had sought election in 1972 to try to derail the freight train of liberalism that was gaining speed toward its destination of government-run everything, paid for with big tax bills and record debt," Helms wrote in his 2005 memoir, "Here's Where I Stand."

"My goal, when my wife, Dot, and I decided I would run, was to stick to my principles and stand up for conservative ideals."

Quote Originally Posted by Karole28 View Post
    "I had sought election in 1972 to try to derail the freight train of liberalism that was gaining speed toward its destination of government-run everything, paid for with big tax bills and record debt," Helms wrote in his 2005 memoir, "Here's Where I Stand."

"My goal, when my wife, Dot, and I decided I would run, was to stick to my principles and stand up for conservative ideals."

RIP to a man who served his country, his family, and his principles well.

(How sadly appropriate that he died on Independence Day!)

Quote Originally Posted by justche View Post
    RIP to a man who served his country, his family, and his principles well.

(How sadly appropriate that he died on Independence Day!)
    While I didn't agree with all of his views (gay rights for example) he was a staunch conservative who really did stand by his principles!
    And, for that, I thank him.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    [URL]He joins the second and third presidents of the United States Thomas Jefferson and John Adams Jr. who both also died on Independence Day.
    What a nerve to attempt to equate Helms with truly great men who were Founding Fathers of democracy and civil freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypros View Post
    What a nerve to attempt to equate Helms with truly great men who were Founding Fathers of democracy and civil freedoms.
    They all died on the 4th. Your "outrage" isn't warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Karole28 View Post
    They all died on the 4th. Your "outrage" isn't warranted.
    Lots of people die on the 4th of July. That doesn't get them listed along with Jefferson and Adams. More appropriate would be to list the names of the men and women who will be killed today in Iraq.

My sympathies to Helms' family

My sympathies to the Helms family.
    I didn't agree with his ideas but I loved his patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypros View Post
    Lots of people die on the 4th of July. That doesn't get them listed along with Jefferson and Adams. More appropriate would be to list the names of the men and women who will be killed today in Iraq.

My sympathies to Helms' family
    You're using a death to satisfy some agenda you have.