1054 users online (161 members and 893 guests)  

Websleuths News

Copyright question/ Online photo question

I have two questions. This is non-forum related.

I am going to try to make a page or website listing unsolved crimes in my state. The page at this link is how I want it to look - http://www.angelfire.com/ct3/unsolvedct/homicides.html (the way they are listed with photos).

How would I go about putting a photo with each unsoved crime. Can I just pick a photo I find online of the person or suspect and post it? Or is that a copyright issue? Thanks for any advice on that.

Second, do I have to host my photo somewhere else online before I put it on my site? Or can I just save the photo to my computer? IF I have to use a photo hosting site, it seems that if I don't buy something after so many monthes they give me notice and then erase all my photos. ARe there any sites that host photos and you don't have to buy anything? Any advice on how to get the photos on my site woudl be awesome!

Thanks

anybody? pretty please?

I honestly don't know. But those are great questions!

I dont know the answer to the first question.
    I know that I collect pics online all the time and just save them to my pc. When I want to use them in a post or a mail or whatever, I use a site called Picraters, upload the image and then paste it into whatever I want to paste it into. You dont actually host the images on Picraters....it just uploads them for you from your pc to wherever you want them to go, so maybe you could use something like that.
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Hello Laini, glad to hear you're going to create a missing persons website.

If you find a picture of a missing person on a website you could contact the site's web master or owner to ask permission to post pictures? Most site owner's will be more than happy to get the message out & may be useful contacts for you to have too.

If you host your own site you should be able to ftp or otherwise upload the images to your site and then link to them in the code for your pages.

Alternatively you can use free photo sites like flickr or photobucket which do not force users to upgrade to paid accounts.

Hope that's of some help.

Quote Originally Posted by laini View Post
    I have two questions. This is non-forum related.

I am going to try to make a page or website listing unsolved crimes in my state. The page at this link is how I want it to look - http://www.angelfire.com/ct3/unsolvedct/homicides.html (the way they are listed with photos).

How would I go about putting a photo with each unsoved crime. Can I just pick a photo I find online of the person or suspect and post it? Or is that a copyright issue? Thanks for any advice on that.

Second, do I have to host my photo somewhere else online before I put it on my site? Or can I just save the photo to my computer? IF I have to use a photo hosting site, it seems that if I don't buy something after so many monthes they give me notice and then erase all my photos. ARe there any sites that host photos and you don't have to buy anything? Any advice on how to get the photos on my site woudl be awesome!

Thanks

I believe Angelfire offers you a limited amount of storage for things like graphics, doesn't it? Then you wouldn't have to host it elsewhere, Angelfire would be hosting it. Places like Reuters, AP, and Corbis copyright their images, so you can't use images from there.

Thanks everyone! Those are just the answers I was looking for! You're all awesome.