GUILTY GA - Sandeela Kanwal, 25, strangled in honor killing, Jonesboro, 6 July 2008

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
A Pakistani-American fther strangled his daughter to death because she was rejecting an arranged marriage.

25 year old Sandeela Kanwal was strangled by her father because she was rejecting a recently arranged marriage to a man she has not seen in months. Her father the 56 year old Chaudhry Rashid murdered his daughter in the Georgia home because he felt it a disgrace she would reject the marriage.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=5322587&page=1

Arranged marriage is not my custom, but others subscribe to it, so I'm not going to bash it. I am going to say there is no honor in killing your child because they don't like who you decided they should marry.

IMO I can see no "honor" in a man who kills his child :(

VB

I saw this on Fox news earlier tonight. We have had several cases like that here. My neighbours are in an arranged marriage, the wife seldom goes out and I hear them constantly killing each other. He says that he married her only because he wanted children so he sent off a request to India and she was sent over. She is completely at his mercy here as she has no family or friends here and I used to see her crying out in the garden a lot.
He told me that if any of his sisters dated outside of their caste or religion, that they would be totally disowned. I have had some interesting debates with him I can tell you lol.
Stories like this just make me sad.....everyone should have the freedom to love who they want. My neighbour says he does not love his wife and I cant imagine being tied for LIFE to a man who did not love me. He says the kids belong to him not her and she could go but he would never let her take them.
Its sad that she will never experience the whole butterflies in your tummy, madly in love kind of love you know?

my heart breaks for your neighbor. poor girl.

poor kids too. that isn't what their idea of a relationship should be based off of. don't mean to sound judgemental ... but how sad ...

Ciara
Will he let you talk to his wife. Maybe if you two were allowed to have a friendship over the fence she would know she's not alone.

my heart breaks for your neighbor. poor girl.

poor kids too. that isn't what their idea of a relationship should be based off of. don't mean to sound judgemental ... but how sad ...

What makes me feel even more sorry for her is that this is the second time she was sent over here for a marriage. The first time she was sent here, the husband AND the husband's mother were beating her and she has scars on her forehead from it. Her second husband, my neighbour, says that he did her a favour marrying her as no one would have wanted her anyway for being divorced from the first husband as she would have been shamed and "dishonoured".
All I think when I see her is "How sad to be such a prisoner in a Free Country".

Ciara
Will he let you talk to his wife. Maybe if you two were allowed to have a friendship over the fence she would know she's not alone.

I have talked to her many times and she has also come to me for help but he brings his WHOLE family down. The families are way too over involved in each others lives. Oh the stories I could tell! His brother told her that he would send her back to India in separate parts in carrier bags if she didnt "toe the line" so to speak. She is the only neighbour not allowed to participate when we have barbecues etc for example....he says Western influence is "bad".

I have talked to her many times and she has also come to me for help but he brings his WHOLE family down. The families are way too over involved in each others lives. Oh the stories I could tell! His brother told her that he would send her back to India in separate parts in carrier bags if she didnt "toe the line" so to speak. She is the only neighbour not allowed to participate when we have barbecues etc for example....he says Western influence is "bad".[/quote]
I bet he does. :furious:

Arranged marriage is not my custom, but others subscribe to it, so I'm not going to bash it. I am going to say there is no honor in killing your child because they don't like who you decided they should marry.

I have no problem bashing it. Unless both the bride and groom have complete free will in the decision it's complete BS. And I couldn't care less about how those doing the arranging feel about it or if it insults their religious beliefs. Too bad. Disguising slavery as marriage under the guise of religon/custom against the will of someone is barbaric.

And anybody that would kill their own child or anyone they were close to deserves whatever punishment they get.

There are different types too of arranged marriages. Some, they are allowed to meet first though never alone, to see if they are in agreement. In my neighbour's case, she had no say in the matter and never even laid eyes on him until the day she turned up to the wedding. I dont agree with arranged marriages although some do work very successfully. I cant imagine being stuck with a man who I may hate or who abuses me or whatever and being stuck with it. Of my neighbour's family, one brother who also had an arranged marriage is now divorced because he was too "westernised" and said he had nothing in common with the bride that was sent over. His sister is separated from her arranged marriage as the husband was also seeing a white woman and having kids with her but he wont claim those kids as the mother is white, he will only claim his wife's kids. His mother was in an arranged marriage and she loved her husband but he then turned up with a second wife one day and the first wife was heartbroken.
I have to say that living in an area where there are a lot of asians, Sikh, Hindu and Muslim that you learn a lot and the men are IMO total hypocrites. They do all manner of things they are not supposed to yet their wives are kept in their "place". The more educated ones are a bit more liberal but the ones who are not tend to be very strict. My neighbour told me that he deliberately chose a woman to be sent from India because coming from a village and being less educated meant he would be able to handle her easier. He said that asian women born here had too many ideas and were too affected by western culture.
In many ways, although you have to grit your teeth sometimes, its quite fascinating talking to them about their culture although I am often horrified by it too:(

Sorry Guys, I meant to put a paragraph break in that post above but missed it lol. I know it makes for easier reading when we do that:)

Just makes me want to spit. There is nothing that exonerates this girl's murder.

I know. Sickening isnt it:mad:

Yes, and I am truly troubled. It goes back to Brooke and the things that were allowed.Many innocents were allowed extinction because of their thoughts and the perps thought this ok. Of course they would. The error is in human malfunctiing.

I'll be happy to bash it too.

There was a taxi driver in Dallas not too long ago that killed both of his daughters because of the "honor" thing.

We need to make an example out of this piece of human trash.

As Jeana noted, two beautiful teenage girls in the Dallas area shot for the same reason, is even more proof that this is going to happen again.

I'll be happy to bash it too.

There was a taxi driver in Dallas not too long ago that killed both of his daughters because of the "honor" thing.

I read that story Jeanna. It was terribly sad. He shot them both didnt he and one of them phoned the Police for help saying she was dying. These men are ruthless and think that what they have done is "right".
We had one here who butchered his wife and three small children then left the bodies in the house and fled the country.
These women have no chance:(

How sad. You know, there are more women than men in this world. I wish there was some way to empower women, so they were not treated this way. That people woman deserves respect, for nothing else, bearing THEIR children.

I have talked to her many times and she has also come to me for help but he brings his WHOLE family down. The families are way too over involved in each others lives. Oh the stories I could tell! His brother told her that he would send her back to India in separate parts in carrier bags if she didnt "toe the line" so to speak. She is the only neighbour not allowed to participate when we have barbecues etc for example....he says Western influence is "bad".[/quote]
I bet he does. :furious:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27