Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Foster Child Denied Liver Transplant

Florida Foster Child Denied Liver Transplant

Here is a sad story. A 15 year old in foster care has been taken off the transplant list because he can't be guaranteed the two year stable follow up needed for a liver transplant.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/flor...ry/596995.html
    Tammie in Miami

Vini, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around

This is just heartbreaking. That poor boy.

How sad.

A disabled foster child whose liver is failing has been removed from a Central Florida hospital's organ-transplant waiting list because hospital administrators fear the state's shaky child-welfare system cannot ensure he has a permanent home in which to recover.

I think somebody should adopt this kids pronto, or he should emancipate himself!

Wow thats not right
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Quote Originally Posted by bakerprune64 View Post
    I think somebody should adopt this kids pronto, or he should emancipate himself!

I think the placement problem is that this child has behavior problems. Unfortunately babies of mothers addicted to crack have a lot of issues.

I am glad I am not the medical board having to decide who goes on the waiting list. I am trying to think of all perspectives in a few years. Person on list number 123 gets a liver transplant. It is now time for person 124 to get a liver transplant (I know it isn't that simple, but this is my made up scenario).

Let's say this foster boy is added to the list as candidate 124. Number 125 would be the very next person to be added to the wait list.

Person 124 (this foster child) gets called up and gets his liver and has a chance to fully recover. However, he is now 17 and will be out of the foster program in a year and simply doesn't have a guaranteed place to recover and do the required follow up care.

How does person 125 feel. I hope that person 125 realizes that his turn will be soon and doesn't mind waiting a little longer. Person 125 is probably frustrated because he has all of the medical recovery requirements taken care of, but number 124 doesn't. Still, I'd hope 125 would be a good sport.

Now what about number 163 that passed away before it was her turn, or 131 that gets severly sick by being just one person later in the list.

OK, now I have rambled as I have thought through this scenario. I have come to the following conclusion. The boy should be added to the list. The potential benefit to him outweighs the slight additional wait for others. This boy deserves just as much of a chance at that liver as anyone else.

Now if it gets close to his turn and the situation is such that he can't be taken care of, that is where the doctors may have to make a tough decision. Until then, let the boy be on the list.

My opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    I am glad I am not the medical board having to decide who goes on the waiting list. I am trying to think of all perspectives in a few years. Person on list number 123 gets a liver transplant. It is now time for person 124 to get a liver transplant (I know it isn't that simple, but this is my made up scenario).

Let's say this foster boy is added to the list as candidate 124. Number 125 would be the very next person to be added to the wait list.

Person 124 (this foster child) gets called up and gets his liver and has a chance to fully recover. However, he is now 17 and will be out of the foster program in a year and simply doesn't have a guaranteed place to recover and do the required follow up care.

How does person 125 feel. I hope that person 125 realizes that his turn will be soon and doesn't mind waiting a little longer. Person 125 is probably frustrated because he has all of the medical recovery requirements taken care of, but number 124 doesn't. Still, I'd hope 125 would be a good sport.

Now what about number 163 that passed away before it was her turn, or 131 that gets severly sick by being just one person later in the list.

OK, now I have rambled as I have thought through this scenario. I have come to the following conclusion. The boy should be added to the list. The potential benefit to him outweighs the slight additional wait for others. This boy deserves just as much of a chance at that liver as anyone else.

Now if it gets close to his turn and the situation is such that he can't be taken care of, that is where the doctors may have to make a tough decision. Until then, let the boy be on the list.

My opinion.
    Agreed

Cubby is online now 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    From the article:

"`BAR TOO HIGH'
    Caplan said it is unreasonable to require the state to guarantee the boy will be in a permanent home for at least two years, given that even children who are not in foster care can't make such guarantees. ''That is a bar a little too high,'' Caplan said.
    Transplant teams routinely accept pledges from recovering alcoholics that they will never drink again after accepting a donated liver, or promises that smokers will quit smoking once they receive a new heart, Caplan said. Why should a foster child be required to do more than that? he asked."

I agree. IMO it is unreasonable to take this boy off the list.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

That is so sad. I wish I could take him in for however long he needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerprune64 View Post
    NO! If either of these things are done, he won't be on the medicaid program anymore and then he won't be able to afford the transplant. Poor little fellow! Is this whole situation just a POS or what!!?!?

So where are all the adopt a kid celebrities when one of our own needs help????

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP) View Post
    Yep...wish one would help this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP) View Post
    This is too much for most of them. This is real. This is hard. This, to them, is a "stay away from this one" scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    This is too much for most of them. This is real. This is hard. This, to them, is a "stay away from this one" scenario.
    You're right. They don't want the "sick" ones.

This is so wrong. He has just as much right to a transplant as any other child. He must have been placed in foster care because his parents couldn't or wouldn't care for him. Talk about paying for the sins of the father.

If the child was arrested for something he would get all the care he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki View Post
    This is so wrong. He has just as much right to a transplant as any other child. He must have been placed in foster care because his parents couldn't or wouldn't care for him. Talk about paying for the sins of the father.
    The article says his mom is addicted to crack so he was in foster care but his family was caring for him. He has behavior issues probably because the mom was addicted to crack when she was pregnant (my opinion about the pregnancy) so they could not longer care for him.

I have three friends (one who just received a new liver Saturday) and a relative who have had liver transplants in the last 3-4 years. The requirements are extremeley stringent, but they are what they are.

Nobody wants to say "no" to a person is in need of a new liver, but the follow-up care to include expense is too important to give a new liver to someone if every other thing is not in place to support the recovery.

I have also buried two friends who died because - for one reason or another - they could not get the new liver they needed. It is sad, but I do understand.

My prayers for this child.

sad... every child should have equal access, even if a foster child.

This is a terrible thought.

At the same time, with limited numbers of organ donations, I can see where the rationale for the decision came.

This child was dealt a bad hand from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    That is so sad. I wish I could take him in for however long he needed.
    I was just wishing the exact same thing so hard. Oh, this breaks my heart!! May God intervene and provide a miracle for this boy. I am praying so hard for him to get a liver.

xxooo,
    Maria
    UNLESS A LINK IS POSTED, MY POSTS REFLECT MY OPINION ONLY.

The MELD score

Well, I've had my own reasons to look into liver disease, as most of you know. Sigh. In my reading, I came upon how liver transplant recipients are selected.

There is a medical score called the MELD score. It assesses liver function, general medical condition other than liver, and expected quality of life after transplantation.

IMO, if this boy meets the MELD score for transplant, which is NOT a subjective thing, but a medical scorecard according to lab values and other tests, then by gosh, he should get a new liver!! Let Medicaid pay for around the clock private duty paraprofessionals to take care of him medically. I KNOW Medicaid has such a program because I used to be the director of one. All of our clients were Medicaid recipients under the age of 20, and all had 24 hour a day CNA or LPNs with them, and were visited and assessed regularly by an RN.

Why wouldn't this work for him? They aren't trying very hard, IMO.

Maria
    UNLESS A LINK IS POSTED, MY POSTS REFLECT MY OPINION ONLY.

Cubby is online now 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    If the child was arrested for something he would get all the care he needs.

Good point!
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

If the child is getting SSI for his behavior problems then he should still get his check and his Medicaid after age 18, especially if he's still disabled due to liver problems. Also, I believe there was a law passed that any child age 18 coming out of foster care is immediately eligible for low rent housing. There's no reason to let this child die. I like Larry Hagman, but he was an alcoholic and got his transplant at an older age. Why should a child whose health problems are in no way his fault be sentenced to death. Maybe he wants to live and would what he could for his longterm care. If not, assign him a MHMR caseworker and visiting nurses for awhile! It's just despicable, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast