Florida Foster Child Denied Liver Transplant

A disabled foster child whose liver is failing has been removed from a Central Florida hospital's organ-transplant waiting list because hospital administrators fear the state's shaky child-welfare system cannot ensure he has a permanent home in which to recover.

I think somebody should adopt this kids pronto, or he should emancipate himself!

I think somebody should adopt this kids pronto, or he should emancipate himself!

I think the placement problem is that this child has behavior problems. Unfortunately babies of mothers addicted to crack have a lot of issues.

I am glad I am not the medical board having to decide who goes on the waiting list. I am trying to think of all perspectives in a few years. Person on list number 123 gets a liver transplant. It is now time for person 124 to get a liver transplant (I know it isn't that simple, but this is my made up scenario).

Let's say this foster boy is added to the list as candidate 124. Number 125 would be the very next person to be added to the wait list.

Person 124 (this foster child) gets called up and gets his liver and has a chance to fully recover. However, he is now 17 and will be out of the foster program in a year and simply doesn't have a guaranteed place to recover and do the required follow up care.

How does person 125 feel. I hope that person 125 realizes that his turn will be soon and doesn't mind waiting a little longer. Person 125 is probably frustrated because he has all of the medical recovery requirements taken care of, but number 124 doesn't. Still, I'd hope 125 would be a good sport.

Now what about number 163 that passed away before it was her turn, or 131 that gets severly sick by being just one person later in the list.

OK, now I have rambled as I have thought through this scenario. I have come to the following conclusion. The boy should be added to the list. The potential benefit to him outweighs the slight additional wait for others. This boy deserves just as much of a chance at that liver as anyone else.

Now if it gets close to his turn and the situation is such that he can't be taken care of, that is where the doctors may have to make a tough decision. Until then, let the boy be on the list.

My opinion.

I am glad I am not the medical board having to decide who goes on the waiting list. I am trying to think of all perspectives in a few years. Person on list number 123 gets a liver transplant. It is now time for person 124 to get a liver transplant (I know it isn't that simple, but this is my made up scenario).

Let's say this foster boy is added to the list as candidate 124. Number 125 would be the very next person to be added to the wait list.

Person 124 (this foster child) gets called up and gets his liver and has a chance to fully recover. However, he is now 17 and will be out of the foster program in a year and simply doesn't have a guaranteed place to recover and do the required follow up care.

How does person 125 feel. I hope that person 125 realizes that his turn will be soon and doesn't mind waiting a little longer. Person 125 is probably frustrated because he has all of the medical recovery requirements taken care of, but number 124 doesn't. Still, I'd hope 125 would be a good sport.

Now what about number 163 that passed away before it was her turn, or 131 that gets severly sick by being just one person later in the list.

OK, now I have rambled as I have thought through this scenario. I have come to the following conclusion. The boy should be added to the list. The potential benefit to him outweighs the slight additional wait for others. This boy deserves just as much of a chance at that liver as anyone else.

Now if it gets close to his turn and the situation is such that he can't be taken care of, that is where the doctors may have to make a tough decision. Until then, let the boy be on the list.

My opinion.

Agreed

From the article:

"`BAR TOO HIGH'
Caplan said it is unreasonable to require the state to guarantee the boy will be in a permanent home for at least two years, given that even children who are not in foster care can't make such guarantees. ''That is a bar a little too high,'' Caplan said.
Transplant teams routinely accept pledges from recovering alcoholics that they will never drink again after accepting a donated liver, or promises that smokers will quit smoking once they receive a new heart, Caplan said. Why should a foster child be required to do more than that? he asked."

I agree. IMO it is unreasonable to take this boy off the list.

That is so sad. I wish I could take him in for however long he needed.

NO! If either of these things are done, he won't be on the medicaid program anymore and then he won't be able to afford the transplant. Poor little fellow! :( Is this whole situation just a or what!!?!? :mad:

So where are all the adopt a kid celebrities when one of our own needs help????

This is too much for most of them. This is real. This is hard. This, to them, is a "stay away from this one" scenario.

:furious: This is so wrong. He has just as much right to a transplant as any other child. He must have been placed in foster care because his parents couldn't or wouldn't care for him. Talk about paying for the sins of the father.

If the child was arrested for something he would get all the care he needs.

:furious: This is so wrong. He has just as much right to a transplant as any other child. He must have been placed in foster care because his parents couldn't or wouldn't care for him. Talk about paying for the sins of the father.

The article says his mom is addicted to crack so he was in foster care but his family was caring for him. He has behavior issues probably because the mom was addicted to crack when she was pregnant (my opinion about the pregnancy) so they could not longer care for him.

I have three friends (one who just received a new liver Saturday) and a relative who have had liver transplants in the last 3-4 years. The requirements are extremeley stringent, but they are what they are.

Nobody wants to say "no" to a person is in need of a new liver, but the follow-up care to include expense is too important to give a new liver to someone if every other thing is not in place to support the recovery.

I have also buried two friends who died because - for one reason or another - they could not get the new liver they needed. It is sad, but I do understand.

My prayers for this child.

sad... every child should have equal access, even if a foster child.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back