The term "Black Hole" is now racist

Paladin

Former Member
Reaction score
http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/dallas-county-meeting-turns-ra.html

A special meeting about Dallas County traffic tickets turned tense and bizarre this afternoon.

County commissioners were discussing problems with the central collections office that is used to process traffic ticket payments and handle other paperwork normally done by the JP Courts.

Commissioner Kenneth Mayfield, who is white, said it seemed that central collections "has become a black hole" because paperwork reportedly has become lost in the office.

Commissioner John Wiley Price, who is black, interrupted him with a loud "Excuse me!" He then corrected his colleague, saying the office has become a "white hole."

That prompted Judge Thomas Jones, who is black, to demand an apology from Mayfield for his racially insensitive analogy.

Mayfield shot back that it was a figure of speech and a science term. A black hole, according to Webster's, is perhaps "the invisible remains of a collapsed star, with an intense gravitational field from which neither light nor matter can escape."

Other county officials quickly interceded to break it up and get the meeting back on track. TV news cameras were rolling, after all.

Does stupidity reach no bounds? And shame on this judge. Why didn't he demand an apology for someone using the term "White Hole"?

Commissioner Price and Judge Jones just showed their ignorance of what "black hole" means. In no way does it refer to skin color. How did those two ever get in such high positions? As the saying goes, Ignorance gone to seed.

Wow. Why not just make the term black obsolete? "What do you mean, hand me a black crayon? Why not a white crayon! Racist!"

The only racist here was the "black" man who said "white hole."

LOL, the only way I can think this had any racist intent is if the speaker paused and did those hands in the air quotes while saying black hole with a smirk on his face.

I don't know why this mental image amuses me so.

Posted by The Commish @ 9:27 PM Mon, Jul 07, 2008

Price needs to learn the difference between a "black hole" and a "black a-hole"...the former is a figure of speech; the latter describes jerks like him.

This comment from the above article sums it up nicely.:clap:

LOL, the only way I can think this had any racist intent is if the speaker paused and did those hands in the air quotes while saying black hole with a smirk on his face.

I don't know why this mental images amuses me so.

LOL I'm not sure why either, but it is a tad funny.

And this whole thing has to be THE most ridiculous thing I've heard.

See. This is what happens when people don't eat their spicy food as toddlers.

...and the certificate today goes to _____________. (fill in the blank) :waitasec: (Top slot to be altered on a day to day basis with an end-of the-year review and the 2008 Annual Winner to be announced on December 31, 2008.)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

I just quoted MT on another thread here at WS. It's looking like the operative quote to be used over and over again... Sad isn't it.

I can't even conjure how the context of that statement implies something racist?

Maybe its time for the judge to retire or get his hearing checked??

Price has been making trouble around Dallas for a long time!!! We pretty much ignore him just like we ignore Jessie Jackson and Rev. Sharp.:rolleyes:

This stuff just makes me NUTS!! Its just plain stupid! We cant say Blackboard either...we cant say Manhole cover etc.......its just RIDICULOUS:bang::bang::bang:

Stuff like this creeps me out. Ever read the book 1984? Pretty soon our vocabulary will be stripped away from us one word or term at a time.

We will be reduced to communicating with one another with a series of grunts and clicking noises.

Yes Paladin and then we'll sound like the twats who come up with this crap in the first place:mad:

Stuff like this creeps me out. Ever read the book 1984? Pretty soon our vocabulary will be stripped away from us one word or term at a time.

We will be reduced to communicating with one another with a series of grunts and clicking noises.

Whatever the penalties are for using the same terminology that we do now is, I'm sure to be the first one its imposed upon.:eek:

I am waiting for these idiots to file a lawsuit against Crayola and make them change the name of their 'darkest colored crayon'. (Heaven forbid if I actually name that color in written word!)

I say that anyone who uses the racist remark "black hole" should receive a permanent blackmark on his record. No, wait... that won't work. How about we blackball them from working? No, that won't work either! No matter what, it will be a dark day when I allow such racist language to be used in my presence. Ah, crap - I give up...:furious:

I say that anyone who uses the racist remark "black hole" should receive a permanent blackmark on his record. No, wait... that won't work. How about we blackball them from working? No, that won't work either! No matter what, it will be a dark day when I allow such racist language to be used in my presence. Ah, crap - I give up...:furious:

May not be able to blackball them from working, but maybe temporarily put them on the black list???? LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back