Two leap to their deaths in apartment fire.

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/09/fie...ths/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A 45-year-old man and a 5-year-old boy leapt to their deaths Tuesday after a fire swept through an apartment building, authorities said.

Both were on the top floor of a six-story apartment building when the fire started on the fifth floor at around 8:30 p.m., the New York City Fire Department said.

Officials believe the pair were trying to escape the thick smoke that filled parts of the sixth floor when they jumped out an apartment window.Fire officials said the sixth floor sustained heavy smoke damage.

Eight others, including two firefighters, were hospitalized with minor injuries. Investigators are trying to determine what caused the fire.

I would hate to be in a position where I had to burn or jump. I cant even think about those two words any more without thinking back to 9/11 when those poor people had a choice to burn in the towers or leap from them.
Just terribly terribly sad:(

Very sad...but I can imagine I would do the same thing....:(

I keep thinking what a horrible choice to have to make.
9/11 also comes to mind for me Ciara when I heard that.
To jump 40, 50, 60, 70 stories or burn to death.
We never know....

I keep thinking what a horrible choice to have to make.
9/11 also comes to mind for me Ciara when I heard that.
To jump 40, 50, 60, 70 stories or burn to death.
We never know....

I will NEVER EVER forget 9/11 the longest day I live. To me, it was Our Generation's version of JFK's shooting (if that makes sense). I think about it often and collect many memorial pics. I was GLUED to my tv set back then and even had a banner put up in my window saying God Bless America with pics of the Towers and the names of the victims.

Burn or jump....Horrific:(

I would hate to be in a position where I had to burn or jump. I cant even think about those two words any more without thinking back to 9/11 when those poor people had a choice to burn in the towers or leap from them.
Just terribly terribly sad:(

I went to see the movie "The Happening." There's a part in the movie in New York City where a bunch of construction workers just start jumping off the building that their putting up. My mind IMMEDIATELY went to 9/11 and how it must have been similar to the bodies falling from the sky that day. I don't know how anyone who was actually there and had to see that will ever be able to watch that movie and I felt that it was somewhat insensitive to their memories and that it was unnecessary to put in the movie.

They had a Documentary on over here called The Falling Man based on that one really prominent image that was all over the news at the time of one of the people falling from The Towers.
The Documentary was just about the people who had to jump....OMG it was SO darn heartbreaking. Some of them phoning their loved ones to tell them they were going to have to jump and to say Goodbye. I stayed awake for hours that night after watching it just trying to imagine how they must have felt.

I will never Forget 9/11.

As for the poor victims in this story. May they Rest in Peace:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46