1202 users online (268 members and 934 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Would you submit a law legalizing polygamy

Voters
263. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

65 24.71%
  • No

183 69.58%
  • Not sure/undecided

15 5.70%

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Legalizing Polygamy?

Would you support a law that legalizes polygamy? Consenting adults of course.

No. I believe marriage is between One man and One woman.
    Polygamy annoys me because its always the men with multiple wives and never the wives with multiple husbands, plus the men would never allow it.
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

I voted yes. I believe there is scriptural support for polygamy throughout the ages. I think it is illegal and therefore should not be practiced. If it were legal, I wouldn't have an issue with it, given the adults are consenting.

I don't think that polygamy is about power and control.

I also think that if polygamy is lived well, everyone could be happy in that environment.

had to vote yes even though it goes against my personal feelings.

It is that whole Pandora's box thing.

I personally believe marriage is best defined as one man one woman. I think we have made a mockery of that in this country and it no longer means that at all. People either have affairs while married, or get divorced and remarry multiple times.

Then there are people that are gay. They point to the sham that heterosexuals have made of marriage as well as their own (some of the time) stable relationships and ask for the legal protections and advantages that go along with marriage be extended to them.

If we legalize two men getting married or two women getting married how can we possibly say no if a man wants to marry his several women all at once? Especially when the women agree?

Another thought, poygamy was allowed for by God and I dont think he would have allowed for it, if it were inherently harmful to humans.

In short, I think we have lost the "right" to tell men and women that marriage can only consist of two people at one time, just as we are losing the right to tell people of the same sex they cant marry.

I feel the government does have a clear and distinct right to not have to fund polygamy by paying out for the children and extra wives it creates.
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

[quote=Glow;2364655

I personally believe marriage is best defined as one man one woman. I think we have made a mockery of that in this country and it no longer means that at all. People either have affairs while married, or get divorced and remarry multiple times. (quote)

Not all people Glow...there are plenty of long standing happily married couples too, even on this site alone and I know quite a few in real life. It all depends how seriously they take marriage and if they see it as sacred like I do.

If we legalize two men getting married or two women getting married how can we possibly say no if a man wants to marry his several women all at once? Especially when the women agree?[COLOR=Blue]I hope this never happens[/COLOR]

Another thought, poygamy was allowed for by God and I dont think he would have allowed for it, if it were inherently harmful to humans. I dont know about whether it is harmful or not if at least the woman agrees BUT I know that there are women whose husbands take the other wives against the first wife's wishes. My own neighbour's mother being one example. She almost went demented over it but her husband ignored her wishes and brought the other wife into the home anyway. Thats harmful

I feel the government does have a clear and distinct right to not have to fund polygamy by paying out for the children and extra wives it creates. I totally agree with this
    Last edited by Ciara; 07-09-2008 at 10:16 PM.
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Well I sure managed to mess my last post up! I have no idea why my blue writing didnt work or why it looks like that or even how to fix it. I just tried about ten times!!!
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    I voted yes. I believe there is scriptural support for polygamy throughout the ages. I think it is illegal and therefore should not be practiced. If it were legal, I wouldn't have an issue with it, given the adults are consenting.

I don't think that polygamy is about power and control.

I also think that if polygamy is lived well, everyone could be happy in that environment.
    I voted no, but after reading your post, maybe I am not so sure.

Why not just let them call it "spiritual marriages"? Why does it have to be recognized by the government? It would be a nightmare with medical insurance, taxes, etc etc.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post

If we legalize two men getting married or two women getting married how can we possibly say no if a man wants to marry his several women all at once? Especially when the women agree?
    Easily. One (gay marriage) has nothing to do with the other-polygamy. That's why bigamy laws exist. Even if the women are adults, they are being subservient, and it throws off the balance for other males and creates welfare situations.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Quote Originally Posted by PSUfan View Post
    I voted no, but after reading your post, maybe I am not so sure.

Why not just let them call it "spiritual marriages"? Why does it have to be recognized by the government? It would be a nightmare with medical insurance, taxes, etc etc.
    I actually had to think quite a while about the tax issue. I came to the following conclusion. They would all be one household. As such all incomes combine for the household income and the dependants are all claimed as a group. If however, they choose married filing seperately, those that file seperately would have to have their income and dependants not counted as part of the group.

Insurance... I didn't think about that. Hmmm. If large families paying only 1 family insurance premium took over the world our premiums would skyrocket. I think the number of polygamists would be so minimal that the impact to others would be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post

I personally believe marriage is best defined as one man one woman. I think we have made a mockery of that in this country and it no longer means that at all. People either have affairs while married, or get divorced and remarry multiple times.

Then there are people that are gay. They point to the sham that heterosexuals have made of marriage as well as their own (some of the time) stable relationships and ask for the legal protections and advantages that go along with marriage be extended to them.

Another thought, poygamy was allowed for by God and I dont think he would have allowed for it, if it were inherently harmful to humans.

In short, I think we have lost the "right" to tell men and women that marriage can only consist of two people at one time, just as we are losing the right to tell people of the same sex they cant marry.

I feel the government does have a clear and distinct right to not have to fund polygamy by paying out for the children and extra wives it creates.
    Glow's post changed my opinion from yes to "NO". I feel that marriage should be between a man and a woman. That right is only maintained as long as we keep it. While I wouldn't have much problem with consenting adults entering a polygamous marriage relationship, I would have a problem loosing the right to say that marriage is between one man and one woman. I think that is a right worth standing up for. When that right is lost it cannot be restored.

I change my vote to "NO"

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    Easily. One (gay marriage) has nothing to do with the other-polygamy. That's why bigamy laws exist. Even if the women are adults, they are being subservient, and it throws off the balance for other males and creates welfare situations.
    I have to say that I am a bit confused by this post. I agree that gay marriage and polygamy are not related - except that they change the marriage laws in the us and redefine what a marriage is. Legalizing polygamy would change bigamy laws just as gay marriage would change the laws on who can get married. I think that is the point GLOW was making.

The issue of subservience - I don't think women have to be any more subserviant in a polygamous relationship than in any other. This question is if everyone has free choice in the situation and is consenting. I do see subserviance as a problem in the relationships currently.

Now for the end of your post - the whole reason I replied. I don't think that polygamy is going to be so popular that it throws off the entire male female balance in the world. It seems to me there are more gays and lesbians that would throw off the balance (more gays than lesbians or more lesbians than gays etc). Polygamy throwing off the balance only seems to be a problem in a closed society (such as the FLDS ranches).

Ok, I just talked my way through my logic and talked myself out of all my points that I wanted to make...

Absolutely not. I look around and if I see polygamy, in general I see women with fewer rights than they should have, arranged marriages, talk of freedom with precious little to actually be had. How can a family send 40 kids to college? How can a man know and cherrish 5 women and 28 children? How can a man be a good husband if he doesn't even know his chilren's names or who their mothers are...or recognize his kids on the street. I see women barefoot and preggers applying for welfare while men with stockpiles of heavy equipment work 12 year old kids on construction crews. Invariably, men seem to dominate, control, boast a hotline to God and, way too often, way too young brides seem to get thrown into that equation.

For me, marriage should be a relationship between two people---friends, lovers, companions, mating for life, equals in a primary, exclusive relationship, throwing their lot in together for life (and/or eternity), pulling in double harness, leaving their mothers and fathers and cleaving to each other, together forming a supportive unit which underpines the family and the society. In our day and time, it's the structure that can potentially offer stability and security to the greatest degree for greatest number of people and the one that creates the least strife, poverty and misery while affording the greatest potential for human freedom and for glorifying God according to new testament principles.

Glow's post changed my opinion from yes to "NO". I feel that marriage should be between a man and a woman. That right is only maintained as long as we keep it. While I wouldn't have much problem with consenting adults entering a polygamous marriage relationship, I would have a problem loosing the right to say that marriage is between one man and one woman. I think that is a right worth standing up for. When that right is lost it cannot be restored.

I change my vote to "NO"
    Here, hear! Precisely.

I change my vote to "NO"
    So funny that your original posts had me considering changing my vote to "yes".

I love to read different opinions on this.

I think my final answer is NO. Marriage is for one man and one woman. If your religion calls for something different, then just go ahead and have a hippie commune lifestyle, and be sure to legally prepare for your death with a will, and make enough money to pay for health insurance for all of you wives. Unless they work, of course.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Nope. If a person is not going to be faithful to one person, what is the point of marriage?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast