713 users online (117 members and 596 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Would you submit a law legalizing polygamy

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 24.81%
  • No

185 69.55%
  • Not sure/undecided

15 5.64%

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Tough question- I think if we are going to pass laws support gay marriage, then we have to consider passing laws that support plural marriage in the cases of consenting adults. Plural marriage is hardly exclusive to the FLDS- there are tons of websites dedicated to those seeking sister-wives and a huge chuck of those folks are not affiliated with any off-shoots of the LDS church. If men can legally marry men and women can legally marry women, they what is the harm of men marrying multiple women who are at the age of consent? I am not saying I support this at all, just playing devil's advocate here.

As far as the fear that it will create more welfare issues because of men having children with multiple wives-- HELLO!! We have this problem already- men have children with multiple women (often at the same time) every day in this country!! Don't y'all watch Maury and Jerry? The difference is these men are not married to all (or any) the baby-mamas, which IMO, is actually more of a burden on the welfare system in this country. At least if the men are legally bound to these women and children, it will be easier to go after them to support their offspring.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Would I support it??? --- you mean vote FOR a law that legalizes it - probably not.

Do I care if they pass a law that allows it - no, not really.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Isn't it already "illegal?"

Obviously, that makes no real difference to people who choose to live that lifestyle. So whether the govt. officially sanctions it or not is rather beside the point.

My ONLY problem concerning this is that some people might be forced into the lifestyle against their free will or because they are 'brainwashed' & actually believe they are exercising free will.

Until the govt. is prepared to pass laws that actually PREVENT adults from living together unless they have an officially recognized marriage certificate, what are they actually preventing?! lol Nothing!

We shouldn't be fooled into believing we can judge the 'sanctity of our own marriages' against the lives of other people & their personal relationships. If someone else lifestyle choices are affecting YOUR marriage/family.... it's probably a real good time to examine your own life.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    If polygamy becomes legal, will employers have to insure all the spouses?

Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    It would make it a lot harder to find a job, if so.

But I suppose that's one of the little things you have to deal with when you have multiple wives & a million children. lol

It would probably create a situation where employers eventually wouldn't insure any spouses. Or, maybe they'd give you a number---as in each employee could get insurance for 3 family members beside themselves.

My Dh has worked for several companies over the years and I am not certain any of them legally HAD to pay the premiums for their employees (and spouses and families). That is all part of the negotiations process when accepting a job. Some companies have paid for all of our premiums and other companies only paid a small fraction.

yes, between consenting adults

Hmm, I'm wondering how you can really define polygamy and make a law against it in modern society.

US Adults can live with whomever they choose, right? Bigamy is using the state legal process to marry more than one person and that is against the law; but nearly all polygamists are not using any legal method of marriage contracts to call themselves married. Polygamist weddings are religious affairs and without state documentation.
    As for the children, any two people who acknowledge themselves at the time of the child's birth on a birth certificate as the mother and father are therefore the parents of that child and they do not have to have any state order to be the legal parents of that child unless there is a DNA finding to prove otherwise.

We can argue that the state's definition of marriage is based on religious (biblical) teachings: one man, one woman and sexual exclusivity but is it so?
    If we insist that marriage is a legal contract and then assign it a biblical root, can we then make any marriage where one partner is unfaithful null and void?

Just a thought from an occasional lurker...

If the US had national health care coverage, no problem...

I voted yes...It isn't my business what consenting adults want to do(whether it be gay marriage or polygamy). To each his own.
    I consider myself a Christian...Real Christains do not judge people and their choices. Real Christians accept people for who they are, not who or how many people they sleep with/or are married to. I know folks will argue that it isn't what the church teaches...but I thought the church taught to be forgiving and accepting? If God didn't want homosexuals or polygimst then why did he create them?
    Just my opinion...
    Last edited by czechmate7; 10-13-2008 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjonnob View Post
    Tough question- I think if we are going to pass laws support gay marriage, then we have to consider passing laws that support plural marriage in the cases of consenting adults.
    If you believe that being gay is a preference rather than feelings that you are born with I can see why you'd say this. I don't however, believe that people CHOOSE to be gay (personal experience). Plural marriage is a CHOICE.

I voted not sure, but the more I think about it...I think NO...but that is my personal religious beliefs. Yes God did permit polygamy in the old testament, but with Jesus and the new trestament things changes. Polygamist were not just married to numerous wives they were also having marital relations at the same time with there numerous wives. This apparently went against the laws of "nature". God realized this and found that that would be breaking the thou shalt not commit adultry commandmendts.
    I would have to look up the scripture to post to be more presice.

I agree that legalizaing pologamy is adultrous, but, at least, the pologamists are open about it. No one is prosecuted for adultery any more nor is this a legal reason for most divorces, so adultery has become more of a religious no-no. My only concern is that children will be indoctrinated in this life-style and see little choices for themselves once they become adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    had to vote yes even though it goes against my personal feelings.

It is that whole Pandora's box thing.

I personally believe marriage is best defined as one man one woman. I think we have made a mockery of that in this country and it no longer means that at all. People either have affairs while married, or get divorced and remarry multiple times.

Then there are people that are gay. They point to the sham that heterosexuals have made of marriage as well as their own (some of the time) stable relationships and ask for the legal protections and advantages that go along with marriage be extended to them.

If we legalize two men getting married or two women getting married how can we possibly say no if a man wants to marry his several women all at once? Especially when the women agree?

Another thought, poygamy was allowed for by God and I dont think he would have allowed for it, if it were inherently harmful to humans.

In short, I think we have lost the "right" to tell men and women that marriage can only consist of two people at one time, just as we are losing the right to tell people of the same sex they cant marry.

I feel the government does have a clear and distinct right to not have to fund polygamy by paying out for the children and extra wives it creates.
    This is a very interesting thread and this post comes closest to stating my thoughts on the subject.

I did love the poster who pointed out that we rarely see plural husbands (Gah - can you imagine more than one Husband!!!!???? No thanks!)
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast