1513 users online (309 members and 1204 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Would you submit a law legalizing polygamy

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 24.81%
  • No

185 69.55%
  • Not sure/undecided

15 5.64%

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I vote no... While I believe that gay people should have the right to marry, I still think the union of marriage should between two consenting parties.

It gets difficult enough bringing another person into a relationship, imagine if we all had the free will to marry when we pleased.

They don't practice real Polygamy. If they did, when a man is kicked out of the group, his wives and children would be required to go with him. Instead, he is forced to leave his wives and they are reassigned to other men still in the group.

Even if Polygamy was legalized, the marriage would have to be filed with the state. To disolve such a marriage, a divorce would have to be asked for. Which would make the 're-assigning' of wives at whim.. rather impossible. Which is why I don't think the marriages would be filed with the state anyway, even if it was legal. Making it all a moot point.
    Just my opinion.....
    Finally found a reason for the Ignore feature!

Good point.

I voted NO.
    Thoughts and prayers for the people of Paris and all of France!

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    I voted yes. I believe there is scriptural support for polygamy throughout the ages. I think it is illegal and therefore should not be practiced. If it were legal, I wouldn't have an issue with it, given the adults are consenting.

I don't think that polygamy is about power and control.

I also think that if polygamy is lived well, everyone could be happy in that environment.
    I do not agree, I do not think the 'majority' of women would be happy, look at the current polygamist wives fighting over their husb ands now? they are clearly jealous and establish a pecking order...at least this is what has been said. There may be some women who are okay with sharing their husbands, but I am not one lol, Im not married but If I were, I wouldnt share my man with anyone! I think its vile and disgusting and I would not be able to sleep with someone who just slept with someone else grooossss.

I voted yes, between consenting adults.

I know several people in polyamorous relationships who would have legal plural marriages if they could, and I feel they should have the right to marry who they love, as should all consenting adults, regardless of gender, religion, ethnicity, etc.

No. One man and one woman.

I voted yes, but, the but is that it needs to be legal for women to have multiple husbands as well as men having multiple wives.

All kinds of hugs!

ROSIE

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I voted yes, but, the but is that it needs to be legal for women to have multiple husbands as well as men having multiple wives.
    What woman in her right mind would want multiple husbands?

I voted yes. I don't think that is the type of marriage involved that makes a marriage healthy or not, it is the people involved.

I've voted no. I think there has not been a fair balance of examples shown where the women are completely unhappy & miserable in these circumstances.

You have to understand FLDS to know that the women are brainwashed into believing IF THEY DO NOT do this, they will go to hell! They are told that from day one. Beyond that, if they DO agree to it, their husbands will obtain a level of a GOD in the next world by the number of wives he takes.

There needs to be a full education regarding this entire situation in order for others to understand the full ramifications of this practice. Rarely are there ever happy content peaceful unions under these circumstances.
    Only my opinion, no one else need agree.

I totally agree. I read a book once that was written no long (historically) after they got to Utah. A writer from the East went for the purpose of writting about the many wives, how it all worked, how they got along.

He didn't find the happy familys one would expect. HE did find different various of households. One type, the lead wife was the boss. She liked the idea. The othe wives did as they were told, by her. Those sorta worked. The other ones, where everything was fair and equal, didn't work out. The home belonged to no one and none of the women took pride in it. Things didn't get done, and it was always someone elses fault. Kinda like children/teenagers. Drove the men crazy.

Joseph liked the idea of sleeping with more then 1 woman. He historically that men did have more then 1 wife because the Bible talks about it. And then there are the Harems. But he didn't know how such would work. Most likely didn't think about it.

This model that these later groups are using, don't work. IT's also contingent if the Husband stays in good standing with the leader of the Church. Other wise the wives can be taken away from him and given to someone else. Just like the property they are considered. That isn't marriage, that is slavery. So why is the question about Polgamy which is a marriage state??
    Just my opinion.....
    Finally found a reason for the Ignore feature!

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate7 View Post
    I voted yes...It isn't my business what consenting adults want to do(whether it be gay marriage or polygamy). To each his own.
    I consider myself a Christian...Real Christains do not judge people and their choices. Real Christians accept people for who they are, not who or how many people they sleep with/or are married to. I know folks will argue that it isn't what the church teaches...but I thought the church taught to be forgiving and accepting? If God didn't want homosexuals or polygimst then why did he create them?
    Just my opinion...
    Although I don't believe in that God fellow, I absolutely adore Christians like you. I always thought that Christianity was supposed to be an accepting and forgiving religion. Unfortunately the ones with the loudest voices don't seem to show it.

yes,i voted yes,because it is between consenting adults...and of course that would go for women as well who would desire multiple husbands...and no,i don't think any of us would actually want that...it's just a biological fact ,men have a lot they would like to spread around,us woman are cautious and once we have children we would rather tend to their needs and our own needs for once.i got divorced from my husband when my daughter was 10 and omg i could not have ever been happier,yet i think if he would have chosen a new wife,that i could have been friends with,i would have been just as happy...

Really good post claudicici!

This is a complex issue and it arouses a lot of feelings doesnt it? I really liked the points you made though. As we get older, our feelings on things do change dont they?
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast