1295 users online (212 members and 1083 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Would you submit a law legalizing polygamy

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 24.81%
  • No

185 69.55%
  • Not sure/undecided

15 5.64%

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Personally, I would LOVE to have 2 husbands. I already have my second picked out...just in case.
    Bless the beasts and the children
    For in this world they have no voice,
    They have no choice.

I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
    كلي

So if you isolate girls from birth and expose them only to one sect, their paternalistic teachings, and polygamy, is that freedom?

Do these children grow up to be adults who are capable of making independent decisions: free to choose their lifestyle, free to choose monogamy or polygamy, free to choose their life partner(s), and capable of exercising the rights and responsibilities of a free society?

Obviously, I voted "no" in the poll. I am personally against any policy or law which empowers these cults to continue to isolate and enslave their followers. I am also against continuing to subsidize these groups with tax dollars.

I have to wonder why so many answers are no and can't help but think that most of the answers are due to an association people have with the words polygamy and cult. Legalizing polygamy may get rid of the "need" these groups have for isolation. I actually think we'd be surprised in the US by how many people would practice polygamy if it were legal. It is practiced widely around the world. I think there is a stigmatism of oppression and entrappment around the word, yet if it were legal and between consenting adults, I'd imagine it could be as good as any other relationship. I think that a very strong case could be made for legalizing polygamy - about as strong of a case as is made for gay marriage.

I still vote no, but I'm surprised by how many people aren't willing to consider a yes.

...that makes sense ,when I thought of my answer I was just considering how I personally feel about,I did not think about it as part of a cult or religion....in that case I would say no also,and I also believe people that grew up within such a cult or got into it because they were somehow brainwashed are not making a decision...so it wouldn't matter for them if it was legal or not...

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    I have to wonder why so many answers are no and can't help but think that most of the answers are due to an association people have with the words polygamy and cult. Legalizing polygamy may get rid of the "need" these groups have for isolation. I actually think we'd be surprised in the US by how many people would practice polygamy if it were legal. It is practiced widely around the world. I think there is a stigmatism of oppression and entrappment around the word, yet if it were legal and between consenting adults, I'd imagine it could be as good as any other relationship. I think that a very strong case could be made for legalizing polygamy - about as strong of a case as is made for gay marriage.

I still vote no, but I'm surprised by how many people aren't willing to consider a yes.
    Me too. I think you are right in that when peoples ears hear words like "cult" and "polygamy" their minds leap to a whole package deal of assumptions.

It also surprises me that as a culture where infidelity and divorce are rampant that we cannot see ourselves as "clearly" as we see the polygamists.

Men are still sleeping with multiple women. Ditto for the women. Babies are being born and dumped or just aborted at the get go. For a girl to hit high school age and not have had a sexual experience is rare but drug/alcohol abuse is common.

And we are morally offended by what exactly?
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

Actually

Quote Originally Posted by Ciara View Post
    No. I believe marriage is between One man and One woman.
    Polygamy annoys me because its always the men with multiple wives and never the wives with multiple husbands, plus the men would never allow it.
    In the early days of New France (Canada) there were many men, and extremely few women..It was somewhat common in the hunting and logging camps for the women/woman to have several "husbands", without the benefit of actual marriage of course..
    Irony trumps everything...

I just returned from Borders Book store where I finished reading "Under the Banner of Heaven" cover to cover.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-Heaven-Story-Violent/dp/0385509510"]Amazon.com: Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith: Jon Krakauer: Books[/ame]

This book was written by the man who also wrote "Into Thin Air." What makes it relevant is not just the story of a fundamenalist murder of a woman and her 15 month old, but also the theology behind "revelations" and polygamy. Riveting does not cover it. The men who killed this woman and her child were the bio-brothers of her husband. Essentially the motivation was two fold-she would not shut up and defer to the men in that family, and she ENCOURAGED their wives to resist the pull of polygamy-she assisted the wife the oldest brother in escaping with her six children across the country to freedom.

What made the book so impressive to me was the intense frustration of current generation prosecutors and legislators when trying to punish those who force polygamy and incest upon their family members-most of these men "marry" their stepdaughters between the ages of 12 and 16. If the male dies, then another comes to take his place. Just following the geneology in the area alone is mind blowing. And there is a whole bunch of information on the Jeffs family....

Back to lurking....oh but before I leave, polygamy is not victimless. Not the way it is done in these sects as far as I can see-the victims are the children...either because they are raised to believe this is all they are born to do, because they are victimized by predators that have become synonomous with the concept (not unlike the climate in the Catholic Church) or because if they are not the children of a powerful wife they can be treated unmercifully. JMO.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    I respect everyone's opinion on this subject so far. I don't understand, however,(The part I bolded in your post) I do not see the correlation of gay marriage and polygamy. Most gay people who choose or want to marry one another want to be in a monogamous relationship. So I am not getting the relating the two, polygamy/gay marriage. I think the two are on different ends of the spectrum.JMO..of course.
    Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy jewelry and lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion, Every Day Is Special.

In My Humble Opinion and I Reserve
    The Right To Change It As Often As Neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom View Post
    In the early days of New France (Canada) there were many men, and extremely few women..It was somewhat common in the hunting and logging camps for the women/woman to have several "husbands", without the benefit of actual marriage of course..
    IIRC correct MH-the women followed the loggers for a purpose-ultimately they were kept together body and soul by the men they relied upon, so I am not sure this is a fair comparison. The concept of polygamy, to me, is still based around a sense of ownership. You are mine. Then, if a husband takes multiple wives, it is we are yours. If a woman takes multiple husbands, the same...but I do not believe there is truly much of that.

I don't see, quite frankly, why there needs to be a law to put into place a practice where the balance of power is far outweighed by one partner over the other.

To me, polygamy was born during a time when the man who ultimately crystallized it's concept wanted to knock boots with women he found attractive and he needed to provide a palatable way to do so give societies repressions at the time. Hence the concept of a "spiritual marriage" with the woman or child he was focused on.

The anchient concept of polygamy is based around procreation and your status right?-I can have many wives, many children and support them. Creating your own army as it were. Where is the relevance in our modern day society where there is not enough to go around and the people who live like this within the United States live on welfare...some to the tune of millions?

JMO.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Truthwillsetufree View Post
    I respect everyone's opinion on this subject so far. I don't understand, however,(The part I bolded in your post) I do not see the correlation of gay marriage and polygamy. Most gay people who choose or want to marry one another want to be in a monogamous relationship. So I am not getting the relating the two, polygamy/gay marriage. I think the two are on different ends of the spectrum.JMO..of course.
    I am, respectfully, with you on this. Men and Women have the right to marry one another in the United States. In only a handful of states can men marry men and women marry women. I do not see the comparison either.
    email me

Bob Harrod SAR

― Maya Angelou

Polygamy is illegal in all 50 states. Unfortunately, it may not hold up in court since a precedence was set by a case, Lawrence v. Texas, involving a homosexual couple. Homosexuality was at the time, illegal in Tx, but the court ruled against the state's right to interfere in the private relationships of its citizens. I respect the decision by the court as a validation of human rights.

Ever looked at the death statistics in Saudi Arabia? Men outlive women there. If polygamy could be dissociated from religion, then I see it as viable. Otherwise, no. In its present context it exists as the oppression of women's rights.

Male here, why even have marriage if it can't be defined? I'm not married and don't really care what other people do, it's their life. I also don't intend to pay for people who make choices in life I'd never consider. The next right you will hear when things don't work out is "but it's for the children." It's almost the same call as "we should have the right to marry who we want" soon enough there won't be reason to marry anymore because it won't really mean anything. So I'm a one man, one woman kinda guy. <in the long run>

I don't need the governments approval for the choices I make, neither do others when it gets down to it. IMO

So we get around to that sticky issue of I deserve the same rights and legalities as anyone who's married does. Put me on the same insurance and SS benefits and pay for my behaviour and pay my partner survivor benefits while your at it and don't question me. Remember it's for the children.

So what happens when a whole clan of polygamist become infected with aides, do we let them just die? So really, I only want my sanity, define marriage for me so when it comes down to the legalities of who's paying for what, I can have a clue. I thought I had one once but then I lost it.

Can't even make sense to myself anymore.

Nice post Peliman. You make some good points.
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

I am very liberal, but I believe that marriage should be between only two consenting adults of either sex. I know of at least one alternative relationship where the woman was married to one and a wife to another in everything but name, and everybody is cool with it. They travel together, have investments and businesses, and she divorced the one guy and is living with the second. And they all still travel, hang out, etc. together. Whatever works, you know. As far as I'm concerned it's fine. In a legal standpoint however, I think that there should be one recognized spouse only. This would restrict benefits to the wife only. Children born of other unions can be acknowledged like any other out-of-wedlock child and provided for accordingly. This way if one chooses to live an alternative lifestyle with two or more spouses, the taxpayer isn't footing the bill for any additional benefits. And those who choose polyamory can provide for their own.

I voted yes and here is why.

According to the Ethnographic Code Book using as a base the 1231 societies around the world, identified in George P. Murdock's Ethnographic Atlas there are only 186 societies that practice monogamy, 453 that practice occasional polgyny and 588 were polgyny was practiced more often and 4 were polyandrous (Gray, 1998).

Why should the minority be telling the majority how they can live their lives? I know several people that live in polygyanous situations and even one family that is polyandrous. Just like gay marriage its an issue of "live and let live" and for me I prefer to let folks lead their own lives as long as all involved are consenting and the age of majority.

Gray, J. Patrick (1998) Ethnographic Code Book Retrieved August 22, 2009 from http://tinyurl.com/lj5cbf

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast