857 users online (176 members and 681 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Would you submit a law legalizing polygamy

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 24.81%
  • No

185 69.55%
  • Not sure/undecided

15 5.64%

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thank you for sharing those statistics Clueman and welcome to WS!
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

If the polygamous relationship is between LEGAL AND CONSENTING ADULTS, then yes. Why not. It's not something I would choose, but for some people, the more the merrier. As another poster already mentioned, some people are simply polyamorous, and a polygamous relationship would have nothing to do with religion, domination over women, etc. If all parties involved are okay with it, then sure.

One thing I do find kind of puzzling is the number of posters saying "one man, one woman", based on religious beliefs. First of all, these are your personal beliefs and interpretations of what the Bible says. If that is what you believe, that is completely fine. You have that right, as well as the right to your opinion. But obviously other people have different religions and different interpretations of the Bible. Why shouldn't they be allowed the same freedom of religion that you and I have? As long as the relationships are, as mentioned above, between legal and consenting adults...we really have no right to interfere.

Miss_Scarlett is offline Oh, come on, you don't think I'm gonna fall for that old trick?
    I guess the reason I'd be against it, which doesn't mean that it should definitely be illegal, is that it's usually used, certainly historically, as a way of oppressing women. That concerns me.

I voted NO NO NO

If adults want to live in a commune style living and they are consenting adults let them do just that, live commune style, why bother to marry...they can even get a room size mattress and have a party.
    He can even get 7 rooms and 7 women one for every day of the week. Fine if that is what they like.

Unfortunately; Polygamists take children as a 2nd or 3rd wife.
    they also teach their Children to serve some Pig that wants to bed a child and make it legal.
    NO....There is nothing in Polygamist men that is better then a Philip Garridos caliber (Jaycee's offender).

As long as they want to bring a child into the world,
    A child should be raised in a "Normal" family setting as often as possible.
    (I realize many single parents have a great home for their kids).
    Other wise commune living should be their ticket.

I hope it will never become legal.
    Last edited by songline; 09-19-2009 at 04:20 PM.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ClueMan View Post
    I voted yes and here is why.

According to the Ethnographic Code Book using as a base the 1231 societies around the world, identified in George P. Murdock's Ethnographic Atlas there are only 186 societies that practice monogamy, 453 that practice occasional polgyny and 588 were polgyny was practiced more often and 4 were polyandrous (Gray, 1998).

Why should the minority be telling the majority how they can live their lives? I know several people that live in polygynous situations and even one family that is polyandrous. Just like gay marriage its an issue of "live and let live" and for me I prefer to let folks lead their own lives as long as all involved are consenting and the age of majority.

Gray, J. Patrick (1998) Ethnographic Code Book Retrieved August 22, 2009 from http://tinyurl.com/lj5cbf
    These statistics do not make it good/right/healthy/proper/spiritual/ethical.
    Just because there are allot of pervs does not make it OK.
    It surly is not ordained by God. I have not read this section of the bible since I was a kid, but I do remember this; feel free to correct me.
    As I recall God Told Abraham to take Sarah and make her his wife.
    He did not tell him to make more then one wife.
    I know Abraham also bed ed Agar who gave him his first child; that was at Sara's request because
    she could not bare a child. But nowhere was he to marry the 2nd one.

I have to add that these people do grade my skin, I get sick from this as a religious concept.
    I Do not think it is a religion at all.
    I think it is a sick men world coupled with women who have very low self worth, if any at all.
    Last edited by songline; 09-19-2009 at 03:55 PM.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly... on a broomstick.

We're flexible like that.

Miss_Scarlett is offline Oh, come on, you don't think I'm gonna fall for that old trick?
    Not to mention that's the Old Testament, which while informative was superseded by the New Testament and God's grace.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjonnob View Post
    My Dh has worked for several companies over the years and I am not certain any of them legally HAD to pay the premiums for their employees (and spouses and families). That is all part of the negotiations process when accepting a job. Some companies have paid for all of our premiums and other companies only paid a small fraction.
    I can see the discrimination suits now. Also, how will it be handled if a man decides he wants a second wife and first wife either says no or doesn't like the second wife? If there's a divorce in a state that has 50/50 property split how will that work? I see a can of worms....

I don't see what the problem is, if consenting adults want more then one spouse, then let them have it. It doesn't affect anyone else.

Everyone else should just mind their own beeswax.

I think the real issue is that such practice is typically wrapped up in unorthodox religous mumbo jumbo that doesn't jive with mainstream mumbo jumbo, and that is what people are really upset about. People don't like it when others think differently from them, so they demonize that difference. It makes them feel superior when they are not, so it is a very self-satisfying feeling for them, standing above and casting stones at the "unclean" below.

Some argue that people in polygamous relationships are involved in an unhealthy domestic dynamic, but they forget that unhealthy domestic dynamics are just as common in monogamous relationships. Plus, the bad relationships make the news, but good ones don't, so that is all people hear about. When you don't know anyone in a polygamous relationship and the only things you hear about on the news are bad things, people assume that all such relationships involve those bad things. That is what is commonly known as "ignorance". It is the psychological basis of racism, xenophobia, homophobia and all those other negative feelings. Just in this case the vilified group is a different set of outsiders "not like us".

I think, to be fair, if one believes that a particular form of marriage is bad because some involved engage in unhealthy psychological practice, then the argument must apply equally to all forms of marriage. Something to think about .

My objection to polygamy goes beyond "religious mumbo jumbo." I voted no because many of those who practice polygamy are on government assistance programs. The wives (usually multiple wives--what intelligent woman would want more than one husband???) have children and since there is not enough money to support everyone (most are stay at home moms) they go on assistance. I have no issues with people who sincerely need a hand-up, but I get furious with those who use the system to finance a lifestyle I cannot afford. (Yes, I have family members who have made assistance a way of life.) MOO

I voted undecided. I generally think that consenting adults should be free to marry in America, as they wish. I have seen some polygamist families on t.v. that seem to be happy and it works for them. Not for me but if it works for them, fine. I also think that people should be able to practice their religion and/or culture as they see fit, as long as it hurts no one, especially not kids.
    However, I see a huge negative aspect to polygamy, for the most part, in the U.S.. Most groups who practice it here tend, IMO, to fraudulently receive welfare benefits, have rampant spousal and child abuse problems and have a culture based on the extreme subservience of some members towards other members.
    The Supreme Court balances cultural practices based on religion with the greater good of society as a whole when deciding religious freedom cases. It is sometimes a thin line, such as allowing the Amish to pull their kids out of school after 8th grade, but not allowing FLDS to practice legalized polygamy. Historically, in most of the cases on the subject, the potential harm to society is seriously examined.
    I think that the majority of the people practicing polygamy in the U.S. are doing so in a manner that is detrimental to society due to abuse issues within their culture that are exacerbated by polygamy, welfare fraud, and all the Lost Boys who are necessarily cast out of their groups at young ages, with little education and no understanding of the outside world, because every man cannot have multiple wives since the ratio of girls and boys is almost equal.
    On the other hand, legalization could act to bring these groups out of their isolation and eliminate one of the lies they tell to keep their members subservient and under control. (Which is that outside society is of the devil because it goes against their religious laws).
    Perhaps I'd agree if the legal age for marriage was raised. Then the issue of sheltered, indoctrinated teens compelled by family and religion to marry men three times their age, would not be as pressing.
    I don't know. I guess I'm on the fence.
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    I voted yes. I believe there is scriptural support for polygamy throughout the ages. I think it is illegal and therefore should not be practiced. If it were legal, I wouldn't have an issue with it, given the adults are consenting.

I don't think that polygamy is about power and control.

I also think that if polygamy is lived well, everyone could be happy in that environment.
    The polygamy I have read about in Utah cases and Texas cases imply heavily te women are treated badly. I read the book written by the one who escaped (can't remember her name) and her life was a living hell.

OTOH, I lived on a commune in the late 70's and while not all men had more than one "wife" there were several "couples" that were one man two women, and all got along fine. Of course this as a commune not based on religion, it was based on entirely different premise. Women were regarded as equals there, all the time. If a couple chose not to have a third (or fourth) "spouse" involved, that was their own decision. In THIS case of polygamy, I would have to say I am not opposed to it, although it certainly isn't something I would ever be involved in myself. JMO

Rest in Peace, Robbi 1980-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    What woman in her right mind would want multiple husbands?
    It seems to be a common complaint that it takes more than one paycheck to keep a a family/couple happy -- this could be one solution (humor intended)

Only when polyandry is equally recognized, should/could we allow polygamy
    Just My Opinion

Good Lord.....what is this world coming to?

And the questions continue from there.....

I don't see how any of the groups in America that we talk about, FLDS and other fundamentalist Mormons, for example, could be prosecuted for polygamy. I'm not sure I understand the law. These people aren't legally marrying more than one wife so having more than one "spiritual" wife should not be illegal.

I also don't have a problem with consenting adults doing what they want with one another, although I do think that polygamist-type families, as a more widely accepted phenomena, pose a host of problems when in the context of a closed, religious society due, for one thing, to the mathematical impossibility of all men in such communities being able to marry more than one wife or any at all, since the rates of female and male babies born are about the same. Thus, many men must be forced out of such communities or be forced to live without a spouse or to live in a monogamous marriage that goes against their principles and puts them in a second-class status in their communities. There are other problems that may stem from such arrangements such as economic ones that affect not only the consenting adults in such families, but their children.

Nevertheless, I recognize that responsible adults can make such arrangements work. The family featured in "Sister Wives" comes to mind.

That being said, after much thought, I don't think legalizing multiple marriages occurring at the same time would be a good thing to do. Because that would wreak havoc with social security and pension issues, health insurance issues as well as social services issues. For example, if a man is employed and is eligible for health care coverage for his spouse from his work, must his work pay for coverage for two, three, four or five wives? If they don't, and polygamy was legal, would he and his wives have a case for discrimination if the employer refused to cover all? That kind of thing could bankrupt a company.

So, I guess my final analysis is that people living in polygamous-like relationships should not be prosecuted unless they marry more than one of their spouses at the same time via a state-sanctioned ceremony and contract, but, being able to legally marry more than one person at a time should not be allowed. In other words, don't legalize multiple, simultaneous, state-sanctioned marriage contracts but don't prosecute people who "spiritually" marry more than one spouse. I hope that wasn't too confusing!
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

I think humans should be allowed to marry humans, regardless of gender or number, as long as it is consensual.

It is outlawing/condemning sexual practices that people pursue by consent that pushes the practices underground. Underground = hidden. And hidden = no recourse for, for example, women forced into a polygamous relationship. Keep things on the up and up and people have to keep their noses clean. Why should I care at all if any couple, any group, want to be married and live as such? I mean, really. Who am I to say no to some and yes to others? I believe in equal treatment under the law. Don't you?
    TAPU'S BLOG
    Murder in the Hills

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast