981 users online (181 members and 800 guests)  

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: Would you submit a law legalizing polygamy

Voters
266. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 24.81%
  • No

185 69.55%
  • Not sure/undecided

15 5.64%

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    Bleh, one husband was bad enough.

Honestly, if you're not hurting anyone, then why is it my business what you do or who you do it with?

No because someone ALWAYS loses in these kinds of situations...one will become a favorite or be perceived as a favorite and it leads to trouble.

Personally I prefer quality over quantity any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by zapped View Post
    No because someone ALWAYS loses in these kinds of situations...one will become a favorite or be perceived as a favorite and it leads to trouble.

Personally I prefer quality over quantity any day of the week.
    Yes, but can't you say the same thing about having more than one child? One of them is going to be a favourite, you can hide it and deny it all you want, but it's true. Even if you honestly don't have a favourite, the children will think that you do and it just leads to trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaliLucia View Post
    Yes, but can't you say the same thing about having more than one child? One of them is going to be a favourite, you can hide it and deny it all you want, but it's true. Even if you honestly don't have a favourite, the children will think that you do and it just leads to trouble.
    You make an excellent point but one could also easily argue that having more than one child is contributing to a serious population problem. This Earth only has so many resources and we are rapidly approaching a time when there simply wont be enough to go around.

None of my business.

I know a Muslim couple involved in this type of relationship. Both woman are very well cared for and happy. They are sister wives and care very deeply for each other and their children. The husband is a really cool guy who works hard and takes care of his family.

If you were to meet them and know them I think it may change your mind. Only because they really are such a happy and well adjusted family. It isn't like the FDLS where these woman were taken as children or anything like that. All three of them are well educated and were in their late 20's and early 30's when married. They have equality in their marriage. before a man can take a second wife he has to be able to provide for both wives equally. It is just way different then what is being described in this thread when you know people who are living happily in this type of lifestyle.

I would like to point out that historically speaking polygamy has nothing to do with the "tribe" or how many women a man can impregnate. Instead the places we see polygamist institutions arise are places where a history of generational wars have skewed the demographics. When the male population relative to female is depleted by war, the remaining men take on the responsibility of the surplus women through polygamous arrangements. This was not an exploitative arrangement originally. It was a way to protect and provide for the surplus women in the manner that would have been done in a monogamous marriage were it possible.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not to his own facts. --Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Would I support it??? --- you mean vote FOR a law that legalizes it - probably not.

Do I care if they pass a law that allows it - no, not really.
    I would say that these are my thoughts also.

I would support it just to see a "Wives Swap" reality show.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not to his own facts. --Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Schuby View Post
    I would support it just to see a "Wives Swap" reality show.
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Glow View Post
    Just wanted to put this out here since it has been mentioned a couple of times...

It was proven that the allegations of the FLDS women in Texas (on the compound the government raided) were not receiving any support or monies from the government.

That was an unsubstantiated rumor that refuses to die.

I remember there was some talk about some of them being told to apply for government aid after the raid because they were forced by the court (some - not all) to live outside the compound and were ill prepared to live the life that had been court ordered.

Ironic, no?
    The Yearning For Zion families were not on welfare; they lived off the labor of Colorado City and Hildale members, plus the $1,000 per month per man tithes convicted pedophile Jeffs (self-proclaimed FLDS prophet) ordered as they admirably tried to make the ranch self-sufficient. The FLDS twin cities (Colorado City and Hildale) had a 70 percent food stamp rate in 2005 and 40 percent welfare rate compared to 2 percent for similar-sized towns in Arizona.

Some polygamist men duped the system by having “single” mothers of their offspring claim ignorance of parentage. A father is financially responsible by law for all offspring. Would million dollar homes remain affordable if each man paid child support for all his children? The Bishop's List of YFZ shows one man fathered 36 children.

Thousands of FLDS mothers claim “father unknown” to get support. Exiled teens find getting public assistance difficult. Lost Boy Gideon Barlow tried to obtain Medicaid and learned his 73-year-old father was drawing Social Security in Gideon’s name.

Incest increases birth defects and the cost of public assistance to the Arizona Strip, according to the Phoenix New Times. In 2005, Arizona spent more than $12 million a year on indigent healthcare for Ingram-sized C-City. Arizona provided health services for FLDS Fumarase-deficient victims for 15 years. Now retired Arizona neurologist Dr. Tarby estimates the number of Fumarase deficient could rise to hundreds if FLDS marriage practices continue. Dr. Tarby tried explains the 1 in 4 likelihood of the severe genetic defect if both parents carry the gene. A compelling interest in public health is why laws against marrying relatives exist.
    http://wkcurrent.com/tax-dollars-hel...e-p1539-71.htm
    For Elizabeth, a minor child, a victim. Thank God she is home!

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

Quote Originally Posted by RainbowsAndGumdrops View Post
    Would you support a law that legalizes polygamy? Consenting adults of course.
    Yes.

Sent from my RCT6303W87DK using Tapatalk

I don't understand what this age-old thread is about. Polygamy is alive and thriving in the US. How many men have many children by many women, who they all keep on a string and don't support?

I don't think it's illegal. It's just harmful to everyone, except the man who does it.

Historically, marriage has always involved laws regarding property rights and such. It's not just a religious thing. Sometimes it involved the exchange of land or goats and such. Let's not get precious about ancient times and how it still is in some lesser developed societies. Which is why I don't really think the arguments regarding one man and woman under God hold much water. Marriage (and its social benefits) has existed long before organised religion took over.

I am not opposed to polyamory, or am I opposed to equal partnerships with multiple people as long as they all have equal autonomy, property, visitation rights etc. Sadly, we know that's not the norm, it's not currently recognised legally, nor is it encouraged in the kinds of communities which usually support it. Most polygamous unions seem to be - in my opinion - regressive relationships, based on men controlling women according to archaic theological or cultural customs. I am strongly opposed to such abuses.

Gay and lesbian unions are based on mutual consent and respect and equal representation under the law. If the majority of polygamous relationships also were based on these concepts, I'd be more open to it.

Statistically though, how many of such unions involve multiple men marrying and committing to one woman?

The child abuse factor

Unfortunately, polygamy in the U.S. is usually linked to child abuse, as horny old men marry teenage girls as young as 13. If American polygamists could learn to quit raping children, they might be able to make a case for their practices.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7