985 users online (206 members and 779 guests)  

Websleuths News

Man sues to change anti-gay reference in Bible

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/in...960.xml&coll=6

9 July 08

A Canton man is suing Zondervan Publishing and a Tennessee-based publisher, claiming their versions of the Bible that refer to homosexuality as a sin violate his constitutional rights and have caused him emotional pain and mental instability.

Bradley LaShawn Fowler, 39, is seeking $60 million from Zondervan, based in Cascade Township, and $10 million from Thomas Nelson Publishing in the lawsuits filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.

Fowler filed the suit against Zondervan on Monday, the same day U.S. District Judge Julian Abele Cook Jr. refused to appoint an attorney to represent him in his case against Thomas Nelson, a Tennessee publisher.

Fowler filed a suit against Thomas Nelson in June. He is representing himself in both claims.

"The Court has some very genuine concerns about the nature and efficacy of these claims," the judge wrote.

Fowler alleges Zondervan's Bibles referring to homosexuality as a sin have made him an outcast from his family and contributed to physical discomfort and periods of "demoralization, chaos and bewilderment."

The intent of the publisher was to design a religious, sacred document to reflect an individual opinion or a group's conclusion to cause "me or anyone who is a homosexual to endure verbal abuse, discrimination, episodes of hate, and physical violence ... including murder," Fowler wrote.

Fowler's suit claims Zondervan's text revisions from a 1980s version of the Bible include, and then delete the reference to homosexuality without informing the public of the changes.

The other suit, against Thomas Nelson and its New King James Bible, mirrors the allegations made against Zondervan.

(You may have to enter a zip code to access the article.)

People will be looking in the mirror and suing their own reflections soon
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    You can sue to change the Bible? Awesome! After my day in court, there will be an 11th Commandment, and it will say, "All of this applies to everyone except for Hipmamajen, she can do anything she wants."

I need to go figure out what I'm going to do first...
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by Ciara View Post
    People will be looking in the mirror and suing their own reflections soon

I think this is the funniest thing I have read today!
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

Well that's kinda ... crazy-ish!

Many sins would have to be recounted then.

Adultery: It's ok now, the bible was changed because I sued so tell your wife you are allowed to do this. And to all my friends and family that looked down on me for being a HOMEWRECKER, I'm really now a hero... A rich hero...
    (This is only sarcasm, not real)

That really is some funny stuff.
    Bitter are the tears of a child: Sweeten them.
    Deep are the thoughts of a child: Quiet them.
    Sharp is the grief of a child: Take it from him.
    Soft is the heart of a child: Do not harden it.
    ~Pamela Glenconner~

liltigress, those words on the bottom of your post about the child are beautiful
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Is his name god??? Because if it's not he needs to shut up. Besides isn't there a constitutional amendment about free speech and freedom of the press. People need to get over themselves. People need to realize that not everything is about them.

I'd like to see him get laughed out of court or better still, slung out!
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Quote Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
    Is his name god??? Because if it's not he needs to shut up. Besides isn't there a constitutional amendment about free speech and freedom of the press. People need to get over themselves. People need to realize that not everything is about them.
    Seriously. It can't be all about them, when it's all about ME.
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard View Post
    Seriously. It can't be all about them, when it's all about ME.

What an idiot. Maybe he should sue his family for being hateful bigots.