1120 users online (246 members and 874 guests)  

Websleuths News

Forum slowness

Hey what's up doc? lol
    For the past few days the forum's been real slow. Not all the time, only in spurts.
    Today for instance, I couldn't get on for 2 hours.

dark_shadows posted this earlier on the BB forum.
    Brooke Bennett forum 17 post 67
    com/forums/showthr...t=67144&page=3

Probably it's the news on the Ramsey case. There were at least 400 readers here just a bit ago, and just now I saw 365, members and guests.

Quote Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
    Yep.

Do you know what actually slows it down? Emailing instant notifications that there has been a new post to a thread. We may have to make some adjustments there.
    Can't people just check "New Posts" at the top? Or subscribe to the thread and follow it that way?

Is it subscribing to threads alone, or subscribing and asking for the email to be sent? I subscribe but don't request or get the emails. So I'll stop if that's causing a problem!!!

Subscribing to threads is what does it. Every time there is a new post to a thread, everyone with automatic notifications gets an email.
    so why not eliminate that option?

Yep.

Do you know what actually slows it down? Emailing instant notifications that there has been a new post to a thread. We may have to make some adjustments there.
    Oh man.... Sorry about that adnoid.
    I also didn't realize that the JBR news hit the forum at about that time. We definitely had a full house.
    Thanks for the reply.

Subscribing to threads is what does it. Every time there is a new post to a thread, everyone with automatic notifications gets an email.

Thank goodness I don't do that. lol
    I don't like getting a ton of emails anyway.

I misspoke. The default option is to subscribe with instant email notification when you make a post. Subscribing only creates no load, it's scanning the threads and sending out notification emails that does is.
    OK, so it sounds like I'm ok w/just subscribing to a thread without the email notification. Thanks for the info, Adnoid.

Off and on today I have been unable to reach the site. What's going on? TIA

deep in the countryside of northern Alabama
    Hi there, didn't know where to post this. My computer runs so very very slow when I come to WS. All other websites run fine but when I log in here and try to post and interact I can't. Quite honestly it takes about 3 full minutes or more to reply to a post. What can I do?
    The depths of which we are able to love will be measured by the depths we are able to love ourselves....et

There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must NEVER be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel