Wal-mart pulls popular mexican comic book after complaint it's racist

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
Shawnedria McGinty didn't like what she saw when she picked up "Memin Pinguin" a popular Mexican comic book at her local Wal-Mart in Houston.

Apparently McGinty went to local community activist Quanell X and he was instrumental in having the books pulled from shelves in Houston. Wal-Mart decided to pull the books nationwide. Ummm, good lookout Wal-Mart.

It seems Memin who is the main charachter in the comic book is depicted with exaggerated features. He's a small boy with thick lips and wide eyes. The latest feature has Memin running for President.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/p...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.3.1

Yes, they did the same with Tintin, it gets very ridiculous.

Meyahna, is Tintin a Mexican comic book as well? I'm out of the loop as I don't have any little kids.

If you look at someone sideways it will be racist soon:rolleyes:

Shawnedria McGinty didn't like what she saw when she picked up "Memin Pinguin" a popular Mexican comic book at her local Wal-Mart in Houston.

Apparently McGinty went to local community activist Quanell X and he was instrumental in having the books pulled from shelves in Houston. Wal-Mart decided to pull the books nationwide. Ummm, good lookout Wal-Mart.

It seems Memin who is the main charachter in the comic book is depicted with exaggerated features. He's a small boy with thick lips and wide eyes. The latest feature has Memin running for President.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/myfox/p...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.3.1

Quanell X. Let's see:

Quanell X (born Quanell Ralph Evans on December 7, 1970 in Los Angeles, California) is a leader of the New Black Panther Party in Houston, Texas. His father, Brian Chris Evans, and mother were both Nation of Islam converts from Los Angeles. After his parents divorced, Quanell moved to Houston to live with his mother and younger brother in the South Acres neighborhood and attended Worthing High School.

Quanell was a drug dealer in the Sunnyside community located in southern Houston, Texas.[2] In May 1989 he spent a brief time in jail and received 10 years probation for possessing and dealing crack cocaine. It was during this time that Quanell claims to have had a life changing conversion and decided he would devote his life to the betterment of African-Americans in Houston.

In 1995, Quanell was quoted in the New York Daily News as saying,

"I say to Jewish America: Get ready … knuckle up, put your boots on, because we're ready and the war is going down. … The real deal is this: Black youth do not want a relationship with the Jewish community or the mainstream white community or the foot shuffling, head-bowing, knee bobbing black community. … All you Jews can go straight to hell."

more at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanell_X

That just about says it all Jeana:bang:

No, Tintin is Belgian. I must confess as it's an old comic for sure Africans are not presented in an adventageous way but for French speaking people Tintin is a cult comic. It's as if superman's comic books were pulled out of the shelf.

Lots of products in Mexico have names like "Negritos" or "La Negra". I honestly do not think the makers of these snake cakes and washing powders believe they are racist but I find it offensive especially the little black boy on the package of the snake cakes.

And remember, there is suppose to be this huge war coming between the blacks and the Latinos. We are all suppose to hate each other. LOL.

Life's too short to hate........its all stupid.

Except for paedos....they should be hated AND shot:)

Quanell X. Let's see:

Quanell X (born Quanell Ralph Evans on December 7, 1970 in Los Angeles, California) is a leader of the New Black Panther Party in Houston, Texas. His father, Brian Chris Evans, and mother were both Nation of Islam converts from Los Angeles. After his parents divorced, Quanell moved to Houston to live with his mother and younger brother in the South Acres neighborhood and attended Worthing High School.

Quanell was a drug dealer in the Sunnyside community located in southern Houston, Texas.[2] In May 1989 he spent a brief time in jail and received 10 years probation for possessing and dealing crack cocaine. It was during this time that Quanell claims to have had a life changing conversion and decided he would devote his life to the betterment of African-Americans in Houston.

"I say to Jewish America: Get ready … knuckle up, put your boots on, because we're ready and the war is going down. … The real deal is this: Black youth do not want a relationship with the Jewish community or the mainstream white community or the foot shuffling, head-bowing, knee bobbing black community. … All you Jews can go straight to hell."

more at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanell_X

Well who else would this person approach to stick up for the Mexicans? I know he'd be my first pick.

:eek::eek::eek: So, you are so educated (not) you see racism in a Mexican/Cuban comic book character, but are blind to your own comments against whites. Don't tell me "that's different".

I had a book as a child: "Little Black Sambo". I wish I still had it....It would be worth a fortune now. Banned. I also have a very early copy of "Mother Goose" the "N" word is prominent in one nursery rhyme. That book is worth a few bucks too.

:eek::eek::eek: So, you are so educated (not) you see racism in a Mexican/Cuban comic book character, but are blind to your own comments against whites. Don't tell me "that's different".

I had a book as a child: "Little Black Sambo". I wish I still had it....It would be worth a fortune now. Banned. I also have a very early copy of "Mother Goose" the "N" word is prominent in one nursery rhyme. That book is worth a few bucks too.

Well of COURSE its different. The "man" has been stepping on his neck all this time dontchaknow.

How much is it worth? I think I may still have the Sambo book that I had as a child. I can remember that I didn't understand the book at all.

How much is it worth? I think I may still have the Sambo book that I had as a child. I can remember that I didn't understand the book at all.
I'm not sure of the actual value, but I have checked on line for my copy of Mother Goose and the cheapest is $250. It was a gift from my grandfather to one of his sisters. Late 1800's I believe.

If I remember, little Black Sambo was an African Boy who outwitted a tiger by making him run in circles and he turned into butter.

I'm not sure of the actual value, but I have checked on line for my copy of Mother Goose and the cheapest is $250. It was a gift from my grandfather to one of his sisters. Late 1800's I believe.

If I remember, little Black Sambo was an African Boy who outwitted a tiger by making him run in circles and he turned into butter.

My mother in law has that book. It was from when her mom was a little girl. I was shocked when I read it, but that is how times were back then.

I saw this comic book on TV and was shocked at the images in them, very very racist looking...the big lipped Mamma and he monkey looking son. It was awful

My mother in law has that book. It was from when her mom was a little girl. I was shocked when I read it, but that is how times were back then.
Why would you be shocked? Actually Sambo was one smart little cookie. He did figure out how to outwit the tiger. Add to the list Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. The use of the N word has now rendered classics totally unsuitable for anyone to read. That is by some people who feel they know better than anyone what is suitable reading material for children. Can't you let your child read classic literature and at the same time explain what was acceptable back then is now not?

My family had papers and correspondence from Joel Chandler Harris, the author of Uncle Remus. Tales of Br'er Rabbit, and others. Those papers were donated to Emory University. He and a great uncle who was a newpaper editor in Georgia corresponded and were friends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Chandler_Harris

Shall we throw out the baby with the bathwater? Or should we preserve history and acknowledge that as times change so do attitudes?

For those who are appalled at books like Sambo and Uncle Remus as well as comic book characters like Memin Pinguin that are beloved in Mexico, I refer you back to Jeana's post:

Jeana:

You should be a lot more shocked about this speech, than a Mexican/Cuban character with big lips.

Actually these days, big lips are so valued that people go to great extremes to have their lips injected with collagen and other things so if they weren't born with them, they can buy them from the closest plastic surgeon.

I agree with you BarnGoddess, we should be allowed to read it and then just be able to explain that was then and this is now.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3bell4010066bppts
Back