1340 users online (248 members and 1092 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do you think this is art?

I think it looks bloody stupid and wouldnt want to look out my window and see it.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...phone-box.html
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

It looks ridiculous.

Its right in the middle of a village and if u knew what these villages look like over here you would realise JUST how out of place and an eyesore this type of stupid "art" looks Kiki. Its one thing preserving the telephone boxes but preserve them in the right setting. That just looks minging!!!
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Quite the phallic symbol erected there. It's ugly!!!

Must be a joke.....

Not the kind of art I appreciate.

Well, I'm obviously in the minority here, and I like reading all of the different opinions, but as an artist, I think it is just fine. I wouldn't personally buy it for my house, and it doesn't employ the elements and principles that would cause me to consider it GOOD art, but I encourage a conscious effort to create. I don't think it is offensive at all.

But then, we've reached the stage where art is a commodity to people- they only want to buy it if it is "pretty". Art used to be a great means of conveying political opinions, religious commentary, oppression, history, social commentary, satire, incite rage, evoke sadness. Many people don't realize that artists aren't driven to create just to make money, or even to necessarily make "beautiful" things. Personally, I like work with a concept behind it, and I do a lot of "out there" stuff. I did a whole series on meat, and it was even censored on myspace as being considered "violent". I don't see how it was violent at all- it was just raw meat, like you might see in a grocery store. Some of us eat meat everyday. It was interesting that the everyday object, something we might pass in the grocery store was somehow considered SO controversial that they censored it off of my myspace. My point is- I KNOW that no one will want to buy it. But I was still driven to create it. Even if it won't hang over someone's couch. In fact, ESPECIALLY because it won't hang over someone's couch.

However, since it is how I make a living, I had to come to terms with the fact that I have to produce more commercial art, that people will want to hang. People have this crazy idea that art should match their sofa. I don't necessarily agree with that.

My neighbors backyard is an eyesore that I have to look in every day (my apartment overlooks his balcony) and I can't do anything about that. Our city streets are littered with trash, people have
    cars broken down, I am subjected to seeing teenagers thongs hanging out of their pants. I guess my having to see that structure every day wouldn't bother me, in the grand scheme of things.

Though I don't necessarily find that particular structure attractive, or a successful design, I applaud their right to create. We all have different ideas of what beauty is. I, myself, have a very wide spectrum.

So the question is...who gets to decide what is beautiful? Is it fair that a group of people decide that for the rest of us?

quick example: Lucian Freud's painting of a large nude woman recently sold for $33.6 million dollars at auction. It set a record. I heard tons of people complaining that she was not attractive, they didn't "get it" they would never "buy" it, it was not "art" etc.

Anyway, I happen to love it...he's my favorite painter But you get the point...who gets to decide what art is?

Link contains a nude, click at your own risk

http://www.artnewsblog.com/2008/05/m...ist-lucian.htm

Welcome Babycat..I think you make some very valid points. I too like the nude painting. It is very well painted and 'special'.....
    I still do not particularly like the phone booths but each to their own. I guess I do not find the artwork 'very clever' or thought provoking...

Quote Originally Posted by kazzbar View Post
    Welcome Babycat..I think you make some very valid points. I too like the nude painting. It is very well painted and 'special'.....
    I still do not particularly like the phone booths but each to their own. I guess I do not find the artwork 'very clever' or thought provoking...
    Thanks Honestly, I don't find it clever or thought provoking either. I don't even think it is a good design, personally. I wouldn't buy it/WANT to see it every day.

BUT, that said, I do feel the pain of censorship from time to time.

BUT I think where the problem lies is...WHO can decide what is valuable...who gets to say? It's a very difficult question. I think this piece inadvertently raises this question...thought I don't think that was the concept.

But that's what makes this world so great- we DO all have different ideas/opinions of beauty, art, etc...it is just difficult sometimes when they have to mesh so that we can all enjoy the world.

There will never be a solution, I think, but I do enjoy the discussion, and reading everyone's different opinions, and I am am glad that the topic was brought up at all...it's nice to see people discussing art, even if it it is whether or not they like it.

Cheers
    Last edited by babycat; 07-11-2008 at 03:35 AM. Reason: typos!

I like it! I have a "thing" for those red phone booths. The only thing I would change is the base color. It should have been striped like the flags. LOL

Welcome to WS, Babycat!
    Last edited by SeriouslySearching; 07-11-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

I think it is funny that someone would actually think of something like that. It just makes me shake my head, laugh, and wonder "who on Earth thought of that?".

I don't think it is the most creative thing I have ever seen, but then again paint splattered on canvas is claimed as art so often that i think this deserves to be called art.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciara View Post
    I think it looks bloody stupid and wouldnt want to look out my window and see it.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...phone-box.html

This is kind of neat, actually. It's a far sight better than the "art" they put up at the University of Florida when I was there. One looked like a thing of french fries without the bag, another looked like a baked potato (though others thought it looked like doo doo.)
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

Quote Originally Posted by babycat View Post
    Well, I'm obviously in the minority here
    Well, count me in with you, I agree 100% with your post. As a photographer it is getting scary to see that if someone else does not agree with your "art" if you are lucky, the least that happens is that you are censored. The unlucky are sued or told that they are breaking a law. These days, you can't offend, or cause someone to stop and think because it could endanger the safety of kids, adults, pets, insects, whatever some bozo decides they don't like.

I think that art can be anything and I have recently discovered the art of public performance, which will be the next thing the do gooders go after, but some of the flash mobs and the improv groups (Improv Everywhere) have done some hilarious stunts that are completely brilliant in the planning and the effect on the unsuspecting public.

Anyhoo, thanks for speaking up! I wondered if I was in the minority while I started reading this thread!

Rudolf is offline Sociopaths are 4% of the general population; That's 1 in 25.
    I'm just happy to see that people still care enough to argue about "what is art"!

I think this looks bloody stupid as well (picking up Ciara's lingo!):
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1398/...3cd21b0c81.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast