Milkshake The Cow Has Identity Issues

graybar hotel

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
EL DORADO HILLS, Calif. - Milkshake the cow spent the first two years of her life confined to a small, filthy pen before being rescued by the Grace Foundation in El Dorado Hills. And during the two years spent in confinement, Milkshake never learned to become a cow, current caretaker Beth De Caprio said.

"She doesn't know she's a cow. She doesn't know where she fits," De Caprio said.

Milkshake got her name from a young boy who thought she looked like a milkshake before the blending.

Click to continue: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25631159

Awww, thank you for sharing this!
I love white-faced herefords; we raised them while I was growing up. They do have a tendency to think they're people. Ours loved to play chase & tag. They would run up to us full-tilt, then stop a foot or so away, duck, turn, and run off! :D Fun times. (Do not ever try this with a Black Angus! They will run you over!)

I love white-faced herefords; we raised them while I was growing up. They do have a tendency to think they're people. Ours loved to play chase & tag. They would run up to us full-tilt, then stop a foot or so away, duck, turn, and run off! :D Fun times. (Do not ever try this with a Black Angus! They will run you over!)
You're right about those Angus. Worse yet are the Charolais. Mean suckers. The BarnGod brought home a heifer, herford cross. I bottle fed her and she was the only one for a while. She thought she was a horse. People who came over warned me to stay out of the corral when she was in. I'd get in and sit on her as she was lying down. Just a big pet.

One neighbor rented the pasture across from us for his Holsteins. They are very gentle and extremely curious. There's a well right across from us and they'd stop every evening. Number 47 always came up to the fence for her face rub. I was told she was a bottle baby.

What a cool name for a Cow:):)
Thanks for sharing BarnGoddess:)

What a cool name for a Cow:):)
Thanks for sharing BarnGoddess:)
Oh, her name was Daisey Mae. The BarnGod calls me Ellie Mae. He says I have too many critters. I brought a goat home once someone was giving away. The BarnGod gave the goat to his daughter. He says he's getting me another one. I have a friend who has goats and sells her milk and makes and sells the butter and cheese. She's going to teach me all her secrets. It's almost a lost craft to do it all yourself. the goat's milk is really good. I can't tell the difference except that it's richer than store bought.

Oh, her name was Daisey Mae. The BarnGod calls me Ellie Mae. He says I have too many critters. I brought a goat home once someone was giving away. The BarnGod gave the goat to his daughter. He says he's getting me another one. I have a friend who has goats and sells her milk and makes and sells the butter and cheese. She's going to teach me all her secrets. It's almost a lost craft to do it all yourself. the goat's milk is really good. I can't tell the difference except that it's richer than store bought.

You will LOVE having goat's milk! We had several over the years and the milk was FABULOUS! EXCEPT in the spring. Durn goats would find wild garlic in the pasture and it would excrete in their milk. The best thing to do with it was to make cheese or butter because of the garlic flavor. My mom's favorite thing to do with it was make tapioca pudding. BLECH! There is nothing like tapioca pudding laced with the delicious undertones of garlic!
Our alpine goat, Molly, alway gave the best tasting milk--kind of like a jersey cow.

I love the story!! :clap: She's beautiful! It's always so nice to read something about an animal being treated so humanely after starting out their life with not the best situations. :)

I love the story!! :clap: She's beautiful! It's always so nice to read something about an animal being treated so humanely after starting out their life with not the best situations. :)

What panthera said!

bless Milkshake. :)

I have a friend who has goats and sells her milk and makes and sells the butter and cheese. She's going to teach me all her secrets. It's almost a lost craft to do it all yourself. the goat's milk is really good. I can't tell the difference except that it's richer than store bought.
That is so awesome....I would love to be able to do that.

We raised white faced herfords too!! Oh, the memories I have of our cattle. They were smart, gentle, beautiful animals. I remember petting their slightly wavy, curly soft heads. And all had names. I helped my parents hand raise a few who were abandoned by their moms.

I am so glad my daddy never told me why he sold the occasional heifer or calf. We kept the vast majority of them.I don't think he could bear to let them go. :) It truly was the best childhood I can imagine, living on a small farm with horses and cattle. :)

Hugs,
Maria

What a great story. . . thanks!!

I briefly lived on a farm. There was a brown cow named Bessie that would run to the gate and greet you when you pulled up. I swear she thought she was a dog. She'd follow you from the gate to the house, and if you got close to the house and hadn't petted her yet, she'd nudge you but good.

One time we were in upstate NY in the middle of winter. . ice, snow and FREEZING. We were headed to my SIL's house, and there was a huge pasture across the street from her house. Looking out we saw steam and a little lump on the ground. . . a new baby!!! We drove back towards the barn until we saw the owner, and yelled to him that he had a new arrival. We talked to him while he was loading up the new baby into the back of his truck, and he told us that he named all of his cows after cities in Florida. . . the mom's name was Daytona. We squealed, "We're from Tallahassee!!!", and the guy said it was fate. Somewhere in upstate NY roams a cow named Tallahassee. :) We watched him pull away, the new mama trotting after the pickup.

Animals love so unconditionally. I don't know how anybody could abuse or neglect them. At least she has a good life with friends and lots of love now.

Awwww, the cow is so sweet and adorable! I love cows... more so, my kitty Kyrn loooooves cows. Watching real ones on tv... to stuffed cows... she loves them. I bet she and Milkshake would make for best buds. LoL

Darn! The link doesn't work for me!! :( I wanted to see Milkshake! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back