Skin Cancer Soars in Women

I had two suspicious moles removed a month ago and got a full skin check. They suspected the one on my thigh might have been melanoma, but thank you Jesus, it wasn't. It did give me a good scare though, and I am going to be more careful in the sun.

KC better read this one!! Yikes. :(

:eek:

I actually am planning on setting up an appt with the dermatologist to check this mole that i have. Its been there since i was born but it has now gotten bigger, its an irregular shape, its raised and it has a darken middle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which ive been told are all bad signs so ive been freaking out a little lately :(

I'm so thankful you guys are on the ball about getting checked. :woohoo: KC, I'll say a little prayer that it's nothing. :blowkiss:

I'm so thankful you guys are on the ball about getting checked. :woohoo: KC, I'll say a little prayer that it's nothing. :blowkiss:

Thanks i hope not either. I've been through enough this past year i definitely dont need the DR to be like "oh btw you have skin cancer!"

Im also worried about the procedure/pain of getting moles removed...does it hurt???

I had a small spot removed right above my lip but I can't remember how they did it. They had to biopsy it so I know they took a portion of it, but I'd say it's like dental work in that the shot they give you for the pain hurt worse than the rest of the procedure, IIRC.

:eek:

I actually am planning on setting up an appt with the dermatologist to check this mole that i have. Its been there since i was born but it has now gotten bigger, its an irregular shape, its raised and it has a darken middle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which ive been told are all bad signs so ive been freaking out a little lately :(

Has it "changed" lately, or is it the same it always has been? Dark and irregular is not good; "change" not good either.

I have been to tanning booths a few times, before we went to the Caymans; but I saw on tV where so many young girls go regularly to the tanning booths. They may be even worse than the natural sun.

Has it "changed" lately, or is it the same it always has been? Dark and irregular is not good; "change" not good either.

I have been to tanning booths a few times, before we went to the Caymans; but I saw on tV where so many young girls go regularly to the tanning booths. They may be even worse than the natural sun.

Yea its definitely changed in the last couple of months. For the past 20 years it was always a light brown flat full circle. Now..not so much!

Thanks i hope not either. I've been through enough this past year i definitely dont need the DR to be like "oh btw you have skin cancer!"

Im also worried about the procedure/pain of getting moles removed...does it hurt???

It doesn't hurt, they gave me a shot to numb the area, then they cut it out with a razor blade. It is still a little discolored but the scarring isn't going to be bad.

I had one removed because I was leery of it. They used a hole punch type thing and just punched it out. They didn't numb it but it didn't hurt either.

I am a sunworshipper from way back and lay in the tanning beds too, so I keep myself checked out by the derm.

They say to watch for dry white patches that flake away and don't ever heal too. They are usually found on the face....just an FYI

Its been there since i was born but it has now gotten bigger, its an irregular shape, its raised and it has a darken middle!!!

Kansascutie, I had the same situation! I had a mole on the very top of my forehead since birth. When I was pregnant with my 5 yo daughter, it changed.

I casually asked the doc to look at it at my 6 week check up and she immediately referred my to a dermatologist. He looked at it and told me it was melanoma.

Long story short, I had a biopsy and, within 3 days, surgery.
They removed the surrounding area and the lymph nodes behind my ears.
The end result was great, it didnt spread and they got it all (and I had a brow lift at the same time as a favor from the plastic surgeon!).

The last thing I want to do is to scare you. But I was the BEST person at ignoring things before this experience, going to the doc was always such an annoyance for me. I get scared now thinking that I came so close to not even mentioning it to my doctor.

The biopsy didnt hurt a bit. The surgery recover took a while, I had two black eyes for about two weeks and a little pain. I have skin checks every three months now.

(By the way, I have none of the risk factors for melanoma.)

Its been there since i was born but it has now gotten bigger, its an irregular shape, its raised and it has a darken middle!!!

Kansascutie, I had the same situation! I had a mole on the very top of my forehead since birth. When I was pregnant with my 5 yo daughter, it changed.

I casually asked the doc to look at it at my 6 week check up and she immediately referred my to a dermatologist. He looked at it and told me it was melanoma.

Long story short, I had a biopsy and, within 3 days, surgery.
They removed the surrounding area and the lymph nodes behind my ears.
The end result was great, it didnt spread and they got it all (and I had a brow lift at the same time as a favor from the plastic surgeon!).

The last thing I want to do is to scare you. But I was the BEST person at ignoring things before this experience, going to the doc was always such an annoyance for me. I get scared now thinking that I came so close to not even mentioning it to my doctor.

The biopsy didnt hurt a bit. The surgery recover took a while, I had two black eyes for about two weeks and a little pain. I have skin checks every three months now.

(By the way, I have none of the risk factors for melanoma.)

:eek: :eek: :eek:
ahhhhh!
This is so stressing me out. I dont have time for surgery and im too scared! uggh. Whats a biopsy?

this is huge in peds. especially those who work with adolescents and young adults... we're trying to do whatever we can to teach people to prevent skin cancer because it is happening sooo much earlier. went to a conference where the talk was peds ONCO, and they were talking about how more and more kids are having skin cancers... much more than ever before. we have to be more careful!

This is so stressing me out. I dont have time for surgery and im too scared! uggh. Whats a biopsy?

Oh no, don't freak out! I'm playing the devil's advocate here, time out for surgery is ALOT less than time out for chemo! (Oh, I dont mean to sound mean!)

A biopsy is when they take off the mole and look at the cells to determine if it is melanoma.

Your surgery recovery time could be just days, depending on where the mole is.

I am relating to you so much because you react to things like I do!

Try to calm down, and don't be scared. But DO be concerned enough to make that appointment. The best thing about melanoma is that it is so easily treated as long as you get it taken care of in time.

(I feel like my mother, I'll stop lecturing now, I promise!)

Oh no, don't freak out! I'm playing the devil's advocate here, time out for surgery is ALOT less than time out for chemo! (Oh, I dont mean to sound mean!)

A biopsy is when they take off the mole and look at the cells to determine if it is melanoma.

Your surgery recovery time could be just days, depending on where the mole is.

I am relating to you so much because you react to things like I do!

Try to calm down, and don't be scared. But DO be concerned enough to make that appointment. The best thing about melanoma is that it is so easily treated as long as you get it taken care of in time.

(I feel like my mother, I'll stop lecturing now, I promise!)

Im trying not to freak out, but i seriously cant handle another surgery! Is there a chance where that they do the biopsy and i dont have melanoma and i can go on my merry way?

Is the surgery like a full on surgery where they put you to sleep?

Is there a chance where that they do the biopsy and i dont have melanoma and i can go on my merry way?

Yes an absolute chance!!!
I was asleep for mine, it took about four hours.
Alot are done as outpatient with a local. Mine was just deeper.
Good luck, I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!!

Is there a chance where that they do the biopsy and i dont have melanoma and i can go on my merry way?

Yes an absolute chance!!!
I was asleep for mine, it took about four hours.
Alot are done as outpatient with a local. Mine was just deeper.
Good luck, I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!!

Ok good. Thanks for the info & the little scare! lol im calling to make my appt first thing monday morning!!

Lets hope i can just get it removed and be done!!

Ok good. Thanks for the info & the little scare! lol im calling to make my appt first thing monday morning!!

Lets hope i can just get it removed and be done!!
sure you can have a scary looking mole that is ok. my husband had a mole that grew really fast really quick and it did freak us out a bit. he mentioned it at an appointment for bronchitis and got referred. the mole was just fine and he ended up getting treated for his acne at the appointment (haha).

sure you can have a scary looking mole that is ok. my husband had a mole that grew really fast really quick and it did freak us out a bit. he mentioned it at an appointment for bronchitis and got referred. the mole was just fine and he ended up getting treated for his acne at the appointment (haha).

lol aw pedi i wish you could check my mole for me! Come to kansas real quick and be my doctor!! I get SO nervous in doctors offices! You should see me when my name finally gets called from the waiting room and i go and sit in the room and wait for what seems like 100 years till the doctor comes in....i work myself up so bad i almost have panic attacks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back