1269 users online (270 members and 999 guests)  

Websleuths News

ME - Mary Kelley, 33, murdered in her Portland home, 26 April 1986

edit - arrest made.

if anyone is interested/remembers this case.

http://bostonherald.com/news/nationa...osition=recent

edit - old article about the case.

http://www.crimeandjustice.us/forums...php?t6110.html

'Cold case' reward may solve crime

By GREGORY D. KESICH, Portland Press Herald Writer

Copyright © 2005 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

For Myava Escamilla, the pain never goes away.

In April 1986, when she was 8 years old, detectives told her that her mother, Mary Kelley, 33, had been murdered in Portland. Although there were several suspects, no one was ever charged with the crime and the investigation slipped into a "cold case" file, for occasional unsuccessful review.

This year, Escamilla, now 27, hopes to change things. With help from a California foundation, Escamilla announced a $5,000 reward Wednesday for information leading to the arrest and conviction of her mother's killer or killers.

/snip

I hope the reward helps in this case. What a special young woman she is. Her mother would be very proud of her!

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    I hope the reward helps in this case.

an arrest was just made taximom i eidted my posts to make things a little clearer.

OH! That's great news!! Let me go read the new article now. Thank you!

So is the guy arrested the boyfriend that had recently been released from jail?

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    So is the guy arrested the boyfriend that had recently been released from jail?
    I remember the case and at the time it was unclear who was Mary's boyfriend or how many boyfriends she had (she was a pretty woman) or rather, how many men claimed to be her BF at one time or another. I recall that the victim had mental health problems and hung out with odd characters, which made the investigation difficult. I'm quite sure however that a man named Bernier (pronounced bernie-ay) was among the original suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
    I remember the case and at the time it was unclear who was Mary's boyfriend or how many boyfriends she had (she was a pretty woman) or rather, how many men claimed to be her BF at one time or another. I recall that the victim had mental health problems and hung out with odd characters, which made the investigation difficult. I'm quite sure however that a man named Bernier (pronounced bernie-ay) was among the original suspects.

Thank you, KarlK. I just wondered what this particular boyfriend was in prison for in the first place since she apparently told others she was afraid of him when he was released. (and if it's Bernier)

http://wbztv.com/local/Roger.Bernier....2.769128.html

Roger Bernier, 60, was indicted Friday by the Cumberland County grand jury in the slaying of 33-year-old Mary Kelley, who was strangled in the bathtub of her Congress Street apartment on April 26, 1986.

During the initial investigation, Bernier was considered a person of interest in the killing, police said.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/p...WS01/807120366

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Thank you, KarlK. I just wondered what this particular boyfriend was in prison for in the first place since she apparently told others she was afraid of him when he was released. (and if it's Bernier)
    Because Bernier has no criminal record and was the last person known to be with Kelley prior to her death he couldn't have been the jailed BF, who was apparently unable to see Kelley that evening.

Man Guilty of Manslaughter...

Man Guilty Of Manslaughter In Maine Cold Case

October 13 2009

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) ― A 61-year-old New Hampshire man has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the 1986 strangulation death of a woman in Portland, Maine...

Roger Bernier, a disabled veteran from Manchester, entered his plea Tuesday in Cumberland County Superior Court. Bernier told police he doesn't remember killing 33-year-old Mary Kelley, whose body was found in the bathtub of her Congress Street apartment 23 years ago.

http://wbztv.com/wireapnewsme/NH.man...2.1244881.html

:+:Anneliese Michel:+:

[21 September 19521 July 1976]

[Second chapter twelfth verse of [
    :+:Philippians:+:]
    [Work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling]
    :+:Emily Rose:+:

From January 2010:

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/01/0...-1986-killing/

Nearly 24 years after her mother was strangled with a scarf while drawing a bath, Myava Escamilla got what she wanted — the maximum penalty for her mother’s killer.

Roger Bernier, 62, was sentenced to 20 years in prison Tuesday for the 1986 death of 33-year-old Mary Kelley.