GUILTY ME - Mary Kelley, 33, murdered in her Portland home, 26 April 1986

edit - old article about the case.

http://www.crimeandjustice.us/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t6110.html

'Cold case' reward may solve crime

By GREGORY D. KESICH, Portland Press Herald Writer

Copyright © 2005 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

For Myava Escamilla, the pain never goes away.

In April 1986, when she was 8 years old, detectives told her that her mother, Mary Kelley, 33, had been murdered in Portland. Although there were several suspects, no one was ever charged with the crime and the investigation slipped into a "cold case" file, for occasional unsuccessful review.

This year, Escamilla, now 27, hopes to change things. With help from a California foundation, Escamilla announced a $5,000 reward Wednesday for information leading to the arrest and conviction of her mother's killer or killers.

/snip

I hope the reward helps in this case. What a special young woman she is. Her mother would be very proud of her!

OH! That's great news!! :woohoo: Let me go read the new article now. Thank you!

So is the guy arrested the boyfriend that had recently been released from jail?

So is the guy arrested the boyfriend that had recently been released from jail?

I remember the case and at the time it was unclear who was Mary's boyfriend or how many boyfriends she had (she was a pretty woman) or rather, how many men claimed to be her BF at one time or another. I recall that the victim had mental health problems and hung out with odd characters, which made the investigation difficult. I'm quite sure however that a man named Bernier (pronounced bernie-ay) was among the original suspects.

I remember the case and at the time it was unclear who was Mary's boyfriend or how many boyfriends she had (she was a pretty woman) or rather, how many men claimed to be her BF at one time or another. I recall that the victim had mental health problems and hung out with odd characters, which made the investigation difficult. I'm quite sure however that a man named Bernier (pronounced bernie-ay) was among the original suspects.

Thank you, KarlK. I just wondered what this particular boyfriend was in prison for in the first place since she apparently told others she was afraid of him when he was released. (and if it's Bernier)

Thank you, KarlK. I just wondered what this particular boyfriend was in prison for in the first place since she apparently told others she was afraid of him when he was released. (and if it's Bernier)

Because Bernier has no criminal record and was the last person known to be with Kelley prior to her death he couldn't have been the jailed BF, who was apparently unable to see Kelley that evening.

Man Guilty Of Manslaughter In Maine Cold Case

October 13 2009

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) ― A 61-year-old New Hampshire man has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the 1986 strangulation death of a woman in Portland, Maine...

Roger Bernier, a disabled veteran from Manchester, entered his plea Tuesday in Cumberland County Superior Court. Bernier told police he doesn't remember killing 33-year-old Mary Kelley, whose body was found in the bathtub of her Congress Street apartment 23 years ago.

http://wbztv.com/wireapnewsme/NH.man.pleads.2.1244881.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back