Holocaust siblings meet after 66 years

Ah, I love reading things like this. It is just amazing what people can endure. I am in the midst of reading War and Remembrance and one of the characters is a prisoner in Aushweitz and it is just too painful to read sometimes.....another character is the Commandant of Aushwitz, Rudolph Hoess and that is just too anger inspiring to read sometimes. He was hung after the Nuremburg trials near the crematorium in Aushwitz.

I love stories like this too only they are happy and sad at the same time. I have read many memoirs about The Holocaust.
66 years just Wow!
I hope they make lots of new happy memories together. They deserve it truly.

Ciara - I have too. Have you read 'Night' by Elie Wiesel or Sophie's Choice? My favorite which is more about the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising is Mila 18 by Leon Uris. Fantastic book because it is such a tale of strength and heroism on the part of the Jews in Warsaw. A rag-tag band of Jews managed to organize and to the German army at bay for 40some days. Pretty impressive. Great book.

Ah Gaia, thank you again for such a great article.

My late FIL was originally from Warsaw. Those were some very hard times. Many, many heroes. Really good people! :)

fran

Ciara - I have too. Have you read 'Night' by Elie Wiesel or Sophie's Choice? My favorite which is more about the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising is Mila 18 by Leon Uris. Fantastic book because it is such a tale of strength and heroism on the part of the Jews in Warsaw. A rag-tag band of Jews managed to organize and to the German army at bay for 40some days. Pretty impressive. Great book.

I read the first two although I dont remember them very well now as I read so many books. I have not read Mila 18 but will look out for it now:)
They are very sad intense stories but there is always lots of heroism and bravery in them too. I get sooo angry and soooo sad when I read them but I love to read anything about Struggle and Injustice of any kind so read alot of Irish history and Black history too:)

I read the first two although I dont remember them very well now as I read so many books. I have not read Mila 18 but will look out for it now:)
They are very sad intense stories but there is always lots of heroism and bravery in them too. I get sooo angry and soooo sad when I read them but I love to read anything about Struggle and Injustice of any kind so read alot of Irish history and Black history too:)

Exactly. A lot of people want to call me morbid or depressive and I argue that firstly these things happened to real people and it changed the course of history and being a history buff I am very interested in that and secondly I think it is important for us to realize and understand what humans are capable on both sides of the fence - what German soldiers were capable of when indoctrinated with the Nazi propaganda and the loyalty they had to uphold the oaths they took as soldiers and what the Jews were capable of in the face of that.

I have read a lot of black and Irish history too. One of my favorie books is Roots. If you haven't you should pick it up. What is so touching is that it is based off of Ale Haley's own geneology.
Leon Uris (same author who wrote Mila 18 - he also wrote Exodus which is great) wrote Trinity which is about the conflict between Catholics and Protestants in Ireland and the creation of the IRA. It is really good too and very informative. I like Uris because it is fiction yet he does tons of research and everything is based on fact and I end up learning alot of history I didn't know before.

Ah Gaia, thank you again for such a great article.

Hi Pixie - thanks for the sentiment but I didn't post it, Lucy's Mom did. :crazy:

And yes thank you for posting such a touching story Lucy's Mom!

Exactly. A lot of people want to call me morbid or depressive and I argue that firstly these things happened to real people and it changed the course of history and being a history buff I am very interested in that and secondly I think it is important for us to realize and understand what humans are capable on both sides of the fence - what German soldiers were capable of when indoctrinated with the Nazi propaganda and the loyalty they had to uphold the oaths they took as soldiers and what the Jews were capable of in the face of that.

I have read a lot of black and Irish history too. One of my favorie books is Roots. If you haven't you should pick it up. What is so touching is that it is based off of Ale Haley's own geneology.
Leon Uris (same author who wrote Mila 18 - he also wrote Exodus which is great) wrote Trinity which is about the conflict between Catholics and Protestants in Ireland and the creation of the IRA. It is really good too and very informative. I like Uris because it is fiction yet he does tons of research and everything is based on fact and I end up learning alot of history I didn't know before.

I have read Roots I saw the series too but I am not sure if I am correct in saying that it came out many years later that Alex Haley was not being totally truthful about his history. I need to go check up on it as I cant remember now(have a terrible memory) but there was definately some controversy about Roots many years later.
As for irish history...well I have a family that lived it and it affected us all so its become my passion. I like history though...well aslong as its not English history:crazy: I hated that for more than the obvious reasons:crazy:

What a wonderful story! I am so pleased that they have been reunited!

I thought I'd read this one before, but it's okay, I always like to see these re-unification stories. It's especially gratifying that the Nazi's didn't completely succeed in tearing these families apart forever!:razz:

I thought I'd read this one before, but it's okay, I always like to see these re-unification stories. It's especially gratifying that the Nazi's didn't completely succeed in tearing these families apart forever!:razz:

They certainly have a lot to answer for. I'm glad these siblings could find each other alive and have a few years together, although nothing will make up for a lifetime apart.

Best survivor's story I've ever read is "Rena's Promise" by Rena Kornreich Gelissen. I actually was blessed enough to meet her many, many years ago.

Her AND her sister made it through from the very beginning to the very end. Alive. Amazing.

What a great story! Thanks for that! Wish my dad had had the same kind of luck...sadly we never found any of his relatives.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back