car crashes as woman gives birth in back seat, husband dies

I was just going to post about this. How very sad.

RICK, New Jersey (AP) -- A woman gave birth in the back of a car on the way to a hospital, but the vehicle then left the road and struck a utility pole, killing her husband.

The newborn boy was in critical condition Thursday, and the mother, 22-year-old Atara Sasoon, was listed as fair.

The car crashed Wednesday about a mile from the hospital in the Jersey Shore town of Brick.

Binyhmin Sasoon, 22, was found slumped over the steering wheel and was pronounced dead at the scene. His wife was apparently ejected from the car and was able to stop a passing motorist.

The motorist, Patrick Schlagenhaft, found the baby in the car under a coat. The infant wasn't breathing, so Schlagenhaft, taking instructions from a 911 dispatcher, cleared the boy's mouth and nose.

"It let out a big cough," said Schlagenhaft, 35. "It was the most amazing sound ever."

Investigators were looking into what caused the crash, which happened about an hour before sunrise. Schlagenhaft said the roadway was foggy and dark.

This is such a sad story... you just never know what can happen to you!

This just really sucks. I almost had two of our children before we could make it to the hospital, this could so easily happen. I envision the Father looking in the rear view mirror, being distracted that much more with his wife's cries and trying to get a grasp that his son was just born, just loosing control of the car that quickly. Its just not fair. I cringe, I told my hubby moments before our daughter was born inside the doors of the hospital, to run through the red lights if he could, I wasn't gonna make it there, we're the lucky one's, it was 2 AM and the roads were empty.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!
Back