997 users online (133 members and 864 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Michael Debakey has died

Sorry, I'll have to come back with a link later maybe someone else can post it.

My husband knew and worked with him in Houston, and boy he was a colorful character, but I'd better not tell any stories. He must be very old, and worked pretty much 'till the end.

I'm sorry, who is he?

My grandmother was one of his first patients. Sadly, she did not live much longer after her surgery. Her heart was just too damaged.

May he RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    I'm sorry, who is he?

Dr. Michael E. DeBakey, Rebuilder of Hearts, Dies at 99

Dr. Michael E. DeBakey, whose innovative heart and blood vessel operations made him one of the most influential doctors in the United States, died Friday night in Houston, where he lived. He was 99.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/13/he...d-debakey.html

I use Debakey's all the time in surgery...There are several instruments named after him!!! RIP Dr Debakey!

Quote Originally Posted by csds703 View Post

Dr. Michael E. DeBakey, whose innovative heart and blood vessel operations made him one of the most influential doctors in the United States, died Friday night in Houston, where he lived. He was 99.

Thank you csds.
    May he rest in peace.

I am sorry to hear he has passed away. I studied mechanical hearts and the earlier surgical procedures that led to their success. He was one of the foremost surgeons at one time and I greatly admired his work. I never had the honor of meeting him but wish I had. My prayers to his family.. he will be missed.

Rest In Peace Doctor.
    Thank You for everything.

Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by philamena View Post
    I'm sorry, who is he?
    The legendary heart surgeon from Houston. Denton Cooley is another well known one; I think there was a little "competion" and perhaps jealousy going between them at times, from what I remember.

My husband said the residents were "scared to death" of DeBakey; boy you'd better do everything "right" and then some.

I'm amazed that he lived to age 99 as he was such a driving, ambitious type person. I guess he loved what he did. Most surgeons die much younger. I believe Cooley is still alive, but not sure about that.

I feel blessed that I was able to watch both Debakey and also Cooley preform more than one surgery. Its so wonderful to see such an amazing man shown the respect he was due. No,no scratch that he is worth more than we can ever ever imagine. Yes he was a driven man but he understood the weight he had to carry when he became a physician, he never settled for less than perfection and he expected all of those around him to function in the same manner. Its what we all strive for in medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chloekins View Post
    I feel blessed that I was able to watch both Debakey and also Cooley preform more than one surgery. Its so wonderful to see such an amazing man shown the respect he was due. No,no scratch that he is worth more than we can ever ever imagine. Yes he was a driven man but he understood the weight he had to carry when he became a physician, he never settled for less than perfection and he expected all of those around him to function in the same manner. Its what we all strive for in medicine.
    That is great. My husband reminded me that he invented the M.A.S.H. unit, and established the VA hospital., and was a true pioneer in so many ways. I had no idea.

My husband saw his work on video in training, but didn't work with him personally only "saw him at a distance" at times while he was a "lowly resident" lol.

I think I do remember seeing Cooley and I knew his daughter in college. Denton Cooley was a very nice looking man.

Again thanks so much for the link.
    I read up on him last night. What a smart and caring man.

my goodness.....this man will rest in peace....anyone that, more or less, started heart surgery, is high up on my list....wonder what his "key" to living a long llfe was?....low salt, low saturated fat?..did he eat Big Mac's?...

cool, that your hubby knew him, Martha

found it, in the article csds posted

Dr. DeBakey attributed his longevity in part to never having smoked and to genes that helped other members of his family live into their 90s. A relatively short man who looked 20 years younger than his age, he could fit into his Army uniform in his later years despite a lack of regular physical exercise, he said.

Quote Originally Posted by czechmate7 View Post
    I use Debakey's all the time in surgery...There are several instruments named after him!!! RIP Dr Debakey!
    cool czech

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast