1393 users online (340 members and 1053 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Time
    Posts
    5,838

    "Listen Carefully"...

    A thought just occurred to me....I may be way off base here. But, I have always thought that John was dictating that ransom note to Patsy, because I don't believe that she would have been in the right frame of mind to write all of that by herself. When the note says..."Listen carefully"...could that possibly have been John talking to Patsy....before the start of the RN, and she thought that it was part of the note? IOW...before he started dictating...he could have told her how to address it...MR. RAMSEY...and then said..."Listen carefully"....talking to Patsy, so that she wouldn't screw the note up? She thought that was the start of the note...and began to write? Just a thought...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,537
    I never thought of that but it makes a great deal of sense.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    3,268
    I think that theory has been thrown around for a LONG time.


    I also can't help but think of that song (The Perfect Nanny) from Mary Poppins when the kids are writing their letter for a Nanny...

    and Michael keeps interjecting "That's the part I put in" & "I put that part in too" I half expect to hear John pipe in with that when he hears the RN read. lol

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    12,914
    I think Pat Brown agrees.
    I'm as mad as HELL and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore!.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Time
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by LI_Mom View Post
    I think that theory has been thrown around for a LONG time.


    I also can't help but think of that song (The Perfect Nanny) from Mary Poppins when the kids are writing their letter for a Nanny...

    and Michael keeps interjecting "That's the part I put in" & "I put that part in too" I half expect to hear John pipe in with that when he hears the RN read. lol
    Really, I had never heard that theory before...and I have been posting for awhile.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SWFL
    Posts
    2,909

    Smile

    Silly! I just posted this a few days ago, but has been such a whildwind recently trying to read every post.....but I obviously agree!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Time
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Silly! I just posted this a few days ago, but has been such a whildwind recently trying to read every post.....but I obviously agree!
    LOL...I haven't been able to read each and every post either. I guess that great minds think alike! I don't know why I didn't think of this a LONG time ago. I bet when John read the note, he slapped Patsy across the head, and said..."I was talking to YOU...I didn't mean for you to actually put "Listen carefully", in the fake ransom note, you dumb butt. We don't have time to re-write it now though, so we will just have to go with it. Maybe no one will notice".

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the Federal Witness Protection Program
    Posts
    8,022
    I can picture PR doing just that-writing "listen carefully" instead of realizing that it was SHE who was supposed to be listening carefully. Of course, no one "listens" to a NOTE. "Read carefully" would apply I here.
    But then again, they were "foreign"....
    THIS time, we get it RIGHT!

    This post is my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy or take it anywhere else.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,554
    it does make sense.I've always thought John helped her write the note,to point to the former AG employees.he had no one else to blame.and Patsy could throw in the housekeeper b/c she needed money.
    Since Patsy left a partial practice note, I'm not sure John even looked back at what she wrote.Perhaps they were running out of time by then.He may have been thinking of needing to take a shower (to wash off any potential evidence) b/f patsy made the 911 call, and LE arrived.
    something to ponder:

    When the corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and the mortal have put on immortality, then shall we be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

    O death, where [is] thy sting? O grave, where [is] thy victory?

    The sting of death [is] sin; and the strength of sin [is] the law.
    But thanks [be] to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
    1 Corinthians 15:54-57

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,187
    The words "listen carefully" are in the movie Dirty Harry. It's been thought that quite a few phrases from the ransom note could have been taken from this movie and other crime movies.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Time
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    The words "listen carefully" are in the movie Dirty Harry. It's been thought that quite a few phrases from the ransom note could have been taken from this movie and other crime movies.
    Was the words written in a Ransom note, its been a long time since I have seen that movie? Or did someone just SAY..."Listen Carefully!"....because I have said those words myself....talking to my kids, but I haven't ever written them, because...well...that just wouldn't make sense.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    Was the words written in a Ransom note, its been a long time since I have seen that movie? Or did someone just SAY..."Listen Carefully!"....because I have said those words myself....talking to my kids, but I haven't never written them.
    The first words of the ransom letter are:

    "Mr. Ramsey,
    Listen Carefully!"

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    4,983
    Personally, I think that the first two words of the body of the ransom letter are taken from what a person who answers a call from kidnapper's would hear in most movie versions of a kidnapping.

    Think about it. The family member answers the phone and the kidnapper immediately attempts to aid the family member in identifying this call as important and lets the family member know it is the kidnapper calling with instructions without excessive wording. In a phone call, "Listen carefully!" accomplishes this intent better than any other introduction imaginable, IMO.

    IMO, the author was pulling from a 'fantasy' pool of wording rather than from a reality based choice of wording.

    The author was in TVLand, using only what they had heard from their own past.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Time
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by angelwngs View Post
    The first words of the ransom letter are:

    "Mr. Ramsey,
    Listen Carefully!"
    No, I meant...in the movie "Dirty Harry". It was suggested that the words LISTEN CAREFULLY came from the movie "Dirty Harry". I was wondering if in the MOVIE, there was a ransom note with those words, or were the words spoken. If they were spoken, then there would be no connection to the movie "Dirty Harry" and the Ramsey's ransom note. The words "listen carefully" when spoken...is not odd. I say it alot when giving my kids instructions, but I would never write the words. How do you LISTEN to a note? You don't....you read a note...you listen to someone when they are speaking.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Time
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by angelwngs View Post
    Personally, I think that the first two words of the body of the ransom letter are taken from what a person who answers a call from kidnapper's would hear in most movie versions of a kidnapping.

    Think about it. The family member answers the phone and the kidnapper immediately attempts to aid the family member in identifying this call as important and lets the family member know it is the kidnapper calling with instructions without excessive wording. In a phone call, "Listen carefully!" accomplishes this intent better than any other introduction imaginable, IMO.

    IMO, the author was pulling from a 'fantasy' pool of wording rather than from a reality based choice of wording.

    The author was in TVLand, using only what they had heard from their own past.
    Well, yeah..maybe so...in a phone call. But, to put those words in a ransom note, makes no sense. You would put "Read this carefully" or "read carefully", not "listen carefully". The RN note is not talking, there are words that are read. Now, if the "kidnappers" had made that phone call as promised...and they had of said..."listen carefully", THAT would have made sense.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 02:11 AM
  2. Listen carefully, It's up to you now,
    By voynich in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 01:27 AM
  3. Ransom note..'listen carefully'
    By JMO8778 in forum JonBenet Ramsey
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 09:14 PM