Pit bull bites boy, mom attacks owner

I agree that the mother could have handled this differently, BUT she claims that she called the police and they did not respond. This MOTHER was frustrated.

If my child had been bitten and the police did not respond, since I live in Texas I would be calling the Texas Rangers, then probably the Texas Attorney General (what they would do I dont know), then I would be calling the District Attorney, anyone and everyone that I could find a phone number for. Anyone that would or could possibly call our local police to tell them to take care of my complaint so that I would stop calling everyone under the sky.

Also, if you take your child to the hospital for treatment, and they are told that its a dog bite, they are forced to call law enforcement! (at least in Texas)

My mother always told me that the squeaky wheel gets the grease!!

The broad with the dog is lucky this didn't turn out worse. The distraught parent could have resorted to using a gun like so many angered folks do now days.
The dogs are dangerous. Laws need to be passed to protect the public.

Thank God they're trying to ban ownership of pit bulls here.
I for one hope they succeed!

My grandmother used to say the same thing! How true it's been all these years.

I have a pitt. His Mother had to be taken to animal rescue after attacking the neighbor's sheep. The sound of the sheep sounded like a small child to my daughter and freaked her out. I told her that next time... it could BE a small child. We were full of tears, and did know that they usually put down pitts where we went. I've always been a supporter of pitts because all mine (up to this one) have been awesome pets. This was was trained to hunt wild boar though - and was too stupid to tell the difference between "kill that" and "don't kill that." It's not the dog's fault - but she did have to pay the price. (So did the sheep, which did end up fine - but terrified.)

I've was raised in a home full of pits, and have never had one that was anything other than kind and loving. However, many of these dogs have been trained to be aggressive and with their natural strength...well, you know what happens. How very sad for this poor baby- I pray that he doesn't become afraid of all dogs just because one was bad. This dog owner should be held responsible and I'm glad to hear that she did finally give the dog up- now she'd better cough up the money for this baby's medical bills!

Why was this fight filmed in the first place? If there was a film crew there, then the mother obviously had the attention of the media. It didn't look like a home recording to me, but I could be wrong. The fight seemed kind of orchestrated and really looked like it frightened her children more than anything.

I'll just say be careful what you wish for when it comes to breed specific legislation or your dog could be next. Dogs do what they're trained to do and it's the owners that should be banned, not the breed.
Any dog can attack and any dog can become mean if that's how it's raised. I have a Pittie that's just a love bug. I also wouldn't take him for a walk in a public place due to the label they've been given.

Dollars to donuts this dog isn't a pure pit and it's shown signs of aggression in the past.

My oh my, look at that cigarette wielding mother, waving it around all in that little one's face. Don't get me wrong, I'm a smoker too, but I don't force others around me to breathe my habit.

I agree, the mother could have handled this much different. It looked to me like a home video, not media. But it did look orchestrated.

My oh my, look at that cigarette wielding mother, waving it around all in that little one's face. Don't get me wrong, I'm a smoker too, but I don't force others around me to breathe my habit.

I agree, the mother could have handled this much different. It looked to me like a home video, not media. But it did look orchestrated.

No kidding it looked like something you would see on Jerry Springer. How is your dog bit honey, oh sorry I burned you with my cigarrette! This is why pits have bad names because of these trashy people that own them and don't know how to take care of them.

I watched the video in regards to this story. First off, that poor little guy! He was a luck little man. Secondly, *why* the hospital did not contact the police or animal control due to this incident is beyond me. Someone seriously dropped the ball. Thirdly, that "woman" was very, very lucky not to have assault changes made against her unless they have already been made. Good grief, they have it all on video!!!

Finally, as far as pit bulls go (or any dog) the responsiblity is the owners. The pet is only as good as the training it receives from it's owner. To place blame against this dog or any other dog for the way it reacts is not it's fault. I would still like to know more about this dog and it's owner.

I think it's very sad that this breed is always in the media where there are many breeds and mixed breeds that cause injury to people. Be careful and knowledgeable about what pet you want, where it came from, how it was bred. We are responsible.

JMVHO

1 problem I have with the mom is, what in the blue blazes was she having her little boy playing with the pitbull in the first place? It was her responsibility to not have him in that situation. I'm a dog lover and we have a wonderful dog we adopted from the pound almost a year ago, he has shown no signs of aggression and is socialized with our cats and other dogs, even tho, I would not allow a little toddler to be down on the floor to play with him! When the woman next door had her grand daughter visiting she wanted to pet our dog, I told her she could come over to the yard and pet him, I stayed right by her side the whole time, the dog rolled over to have his belly rubbed and in 2 minutes it was all done and all were happy, her younger sister followed her over and it was interesting to see the dog had no interest in her, the smaller a child the more chance a dog will view them as someone they can dominate IMO. I sure as heck wouldn't have walked away to let them all play together :furious:

VB

I agree that the mother could have handled this differently, BUT she claims that she called the police and they did not respond. This MOTHER was frustrated.

If my child had been bitten and the police did not respond, since I live in Texas I would be calling the Texas Rangers, then probably the Texas Attorney General (what they would do I dont know), then I would be calling the District Attorney, anyone and everyone that I could find a phone number for. Anyone that would or could possibly call our local police to tell them to take care of my complaint so that I would stop calling everyone under the sky.

Also, if you take your child to the hospital for treatment, and they are told that its a dog bite, they are forced to call law enforcement! (at least in Texas)

I'm wondering if she took the boy to the emergency room? It doesn't appear that she did.

how convenient that the reporter was there for the mother-owner attack ...

I'm wondering if she took the boy to the emergency room? It doesn't appear that she did.

I don't think she took that baby to the hospital either and it's obvious he needs medical attention. Looks like a hug risk of infection there. On the little boy's bite marks also. eh...

It's sad the boy was harmed, but breed specific legislation is woefully misguided.

All big dogs that are not trained properly can become dangerous. It isn't the fault of the pit bull terrier that it has become the accessory du jour. German Shephards, rottweillers, boxers, bull dogs, any large breed can cause serious damage if owned by irresponsible, cruel or stupid people.

I'm not sure how to say this without offending a whole lotta people, but . . .

there is something just not right about that entire situation. I hate to use the phrase "white trash," but for some reason or another, it won't leave my head.

Here's an article, which answers some questions, but leaves a whole lot more unanswered:

A male pit bull that mauled a 2-year-old boy Monday and caused a fight between the boy’s mother and the dog’s owner remained in the Lucas County dog pound yesterday.

Holly Leach of 924 Oak St. called police about 12:30 p.m. Monday after her son, Aaron, was bitten multiple times on the left side of his face and thrown through the air by the pit bull owned by Lois Rosendale, who lives at the same address.

The child was treated at St. Charles Mercy Hospital, authorities said.

Ms. Leach told a dog warden’s employee her son pulled the dog’s tail, and it turned around and bit him.

She was discussing the incident with a member of the news media when she began arguing with Ms. Rosendale. Ms. Leach then ran into the home and attacked her, Acting Dog Warden Karla Hamlin said.

Ms. Hamlin said Ms. Rosendale was cited because her dog did not have proper vaccinations.

No other citations were issued because the dog was licensed and bit the child inside the owner’s home, she said.

An 18-year-old male at the scene signed over the pit bull to the county pound.

It will be euthanized in less than 10 days unless its owner protests, Ms. Hamlin said.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080716/NEWS03/495041578

I'm not sure how to say this without offending a whole lotta people, but . . .

there is something just not right about that entire situation. I hate to use the phrase "white trash," but for some reason or another, it won't leave my head.

Here's an article, which answers some questions, but leaves a whole lot more unanswered:

A male pit bull that mauled a 2-year-old boy Monday and caused a fight between the boy’s mother and the dog’s owner remained in the Lucas County dog pound yesterday.

Holly Leach of 924 Oak St. called police about 12:30 p.m. Monday after her son, Aaron, was bitten multiple times on the left side of his face and thrown through the air by the pit bull owned by Lois Rosendale, who lives at the same address.

The child was treated at St. Charles Mercy Hospital, authorities said.

Ms. Leach told a dog warden’s employee her son pulled the dog’s tail, and it turned around and bit him.

She was discussing the incident with a member of the news media when she began arguing with Ms. Rosendale. Ms. Leach then ran into the home and attacked her, Acting Dog Warden Karla Hamlin said.

Ms. Hamlin said Ms. Rosendale was cited because her dog did not have proper vaccinations.

No other citations were issued because the dog was licensed and bit the child inside the owner’s home, she said.

An 18-year-old male at the scene signed over the pit bull to the county pound.

It will be euthanized in less than 10 days unless its owner protests, Ms. Hamlin said.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080716/NEWS03/495041578

I agree. Total trash.
My beloved crackhead neighbors have one or two pit bulls. It seems that breed of dog attracts a certain type of people who do not need a dog that can be lethal.

Are all pit bull owners trash? Of course not.

The poor little guy and the poor dog. Me thinks the 2 year old pushed it too far with the dog and he responded as irritated dogs do.

Dog owner and parent are both to blame for this disgusting happening. Two innocents will pay for the lack care by dog owner and parent. Makes me ill...

I'll just say be careful what you wish for when it comes to breed specific legislation or your dog could be next.

Dogs do what they're trained to do and it's the owners that should be banned, not the breed.

Any dog can attack and any dog can become mean if that's how it's raised.

I have a Pittie that's just a love bug. I also wouldn't take him for a walk in a public place due to the label they've been given.

Dollars to donuts this dog isn't a pure pit and it's shown signs of aggression in the past.

Kudos Lurker! Excellent post! :blowkiss:

And *Amen* to the parts I bolded above.

My son & his wife have 2 pitties (rescues when they were puppies - 3-5 mo. old). They are 2 of the sweetest, most gentle animals that ever drew the breath of life - not to mention, extremely intelligent & well behaved. Not a vicious or aggressive bone in their bodies - ever displayed! Wonderful temperments.

They also have a 2 yr. old son, who was brought home from the hospital & introduced into the family as a newborn preemie. Okay, that was 2 yrs. ago when the dogs had been the main focus of their lives (their babies!) for over 4 years. Add to the mix - 3 rescue Kitties, another lab mix rescue dog and a much loved dressage horse to round out their family.

To this day - never a problem with any of animal family members. No biting - no snapping - no growling - no scratches and, let me tell you, this 2 yr. old grandson is a real handful .. as 2 yr. old's tend to be. The parents are both extremely responsible parents as well as pet owner/guardians of their animals - so it works for them.

To me - it's all about "how" this breed is raised .. the environment, love, care & proper training/handling. I do not believe in dogs being born "bad" - it's all in how they are treated. (IMO - not everyone is equipped to own a pit, rottie, dobie, shep or other large assertive breed.)

I blame stupid, incompetent owners .. many of which engage in the hideous blood sport of abusing these valiant dogs into fighting for their very lives. (Remember Michael Vick?) Those evil-minded undeserving owners are the ones I want severely punished - l-o-n-g prison terms & never to be allowed the privilege of animal ownership ever again. They were entrusted with the guardianship care of a loyal animal only to horrifically abuse the very privilege they were given.

Nothing makes me angrier than abuse (especially of animals, children & the elderly - those w/o a voice). :furious:

Rum Tum :cat:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back