US May End Ban On Travelers w/ HIV

Pandora

Reaction score
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A two-decade ban on people with HIV visiting or immigrating to the United States may end soon through a Senate bill aimed at fighting AIDS and other diseases in Africa and other poor areas of the world.

Visitors with HIV can apply for a difficult-to-obtain special waiver for short-term visits to the U.S.

The U.S. is one of a dozen countries -- including Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Libya and Russia -- that ban travel and immigration for HIV-positive people.

Even China, said Sen. John Kerry, D-Massachusetts, recently changed that policy, deciding it was "time to move beyond an antiquated, knee-jerk reaction" to people with HIV.

"There's no excuse for a law that stigmatizes a particular disease," Kerry said Tuesday at a speech to the Center for Strategic & International Studies HIV/AIDS Task Force.

Even people with avian flu or the Ebola virus have an easier time than those with HIV when it come to applying for visas, he said.

Kerry and Sen. Gordon Smith, R-Oregon, are trying to repeal the ban, first implemented in 1987 and confirmed by Congress in 1993.

More at link:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/07/16/hiv.travelers.ap/index.html

Whaaa? In my defense, I was in high school in 1987 and well-indoctrinated by a fundamentalist church, but I had no idea that the US had a law banning HIV positive people from coming here. Somehow, it just seems un-American. While little was known about the disease in 1987, I would have thought that as the CDC did research in the 1990's this would have been repealed instead of confirmed in 1993. I'll bet the Westboro (?) church in Kansas will be lobbying to have the ban kept in place.

I hope this law passes. The ban is rediculous. People coming into our country with HIV are no more risk to anyone that the HIV-positive people that are already here. And we aren't locking them up are we? Ahh damn. Now that I said that someone will probably try. :rolleyes:

People are living long normal lives with this disease now. I read about it and hear about it so maybe it's not so much of the threat it used to be? Seriously though how would anybody know when you get on a plane to fly to the US if you have HIV or not?

Well I guess they are trying to keep people from bringing more of it over here. there are so many different strains now they cant keep up. I hate to say it cuz I feel like its discriminating but if we ever want to get it under control this may be the only way or at least it would be a start to stopping it.

Unless I misread, looks like it passed! :)

Senate Votes To Repeal Ban On Visitors With HIV

The US Senate has approved repeal of a law barring HIV-positive visitors and immigrants from entering the country. The measure was included in legislation reauthorizing PEPFAR, the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief.

More: http://www.365gay.com/Newscon08/07/071708ban.htm

I'm sorry but that scares me a little.
I expect if that happens HIV will quadruple.

I'm sorry, but "quadruple" is silly.

Everyone who is sexually active outside a longterm, monogamous relationship should be protecting him/herself from exposure to HIV. Foreigners traveling here or not.

Any time our legal policies are in line with those of Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Russia, it should give us pause.

Welcome to the 21st century, U.S. of A.!

:woohoo:
I am so glad this has passed. I get that they didn't fully understand HIV/AIDS when they created the ban, but we've made such strides in medical care over the years that IMHO this was discrimination, plain and simple.

Really? That's odd. I don't expect the numbers to rise significantly at all. Like Nova said, everyone should be practicing safe sex anyway. Especially with all of the nasty things floating around out there, not even counting HIV. And it's not like those coming from other countries to the USA with HIV are just out to infect us. Chances are, most of them, like most of us, will take necessary precautions.

Everyone who is sexually active outside a longterm, monogamous relationship should be protecting him/herself from exposure to HIV. Foreigners traveling here or not.

Any time our legal policies are in line with those of Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Russia, it should give us pause.

Excellent post as usual, Nova.

Nova don't talk down to me. :rolleyes:
If people practiced safe sex and used freakin condoms, there would be fewer new cases of AIDS/HIV.
Surely you know that?

Here's some info for ya.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/basic.htm#area

Just to clarify, I believe I said everyone SHOULD be practicing safe sex. Not once did I say that everyone actually does. Why, that would be just plain ignorant of me.

I'm sorry Nova, but I have to agree with Philamena on this one.
Yes everyone SHOULD be protecting themselves but of course AIDS spreads because people AREN'T protecting themselves. Maybe they don't know, don't care, do know and still don't care, etc...
I have heard of several lately DELIBERATELY passing the virus along. To get back at someone or because they are angry at their own condition, etc....

Sorry to disagree but one of my best friends works for the Center for Disease Control and NO, everyone is not using safe sex.
More info.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/index.htm

:clap: I thought this was something MOST people would know. I am not putting anyone down or criticizing, but to think that other people are practicing safe sex is unbelievable. If they were, AIDS wouldn't be as prevelant as it is.

People are living long normal lives with this disease now. I read about it and hear about it so maybe it's not so much of the threat it used to be? Seriously though how would anybody know when you get on a plane to fly to the US if you have HIV or not?

Although I agree that people are living longer with this I do believe it is just as much a threat as ever. I just think alot of people DON'T see it that way. Seems kinda like it's old hat, old news, and I am sorry about that.
Until there is a CURE this disease will ALWAYS be a threat, IMO. You might get a reprieve, but when you have AIDS you are given a death sentence, IMO. Yeah, we all die, but getting this disease puts you FURTHER at risk of dying early, plus people DON'T know how they will react to a particular medicine. Some of them may not be suited for the RX HIV drugs out there. I read about this somewhere, cannot for the life of me remember what/where.

:blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks
Back