AL AL - Blount Co, WhtMale 1139UMAL, 33-43, .22 revolver, alias 'Chad Singleton', Oct'05

Kymistry35

It's never to late to be who you could have been
Reaction score
Website
bringushome.19.forumer.com
The Doe Network:
Hot Case 776

hotcase776.jpg
hotcase776a.jpg
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1139umal.html

Victim
Unidentified White Male

• The victim was discovered on October 31, 2005 in Blount County, Alabama
  • Estimated Date of Death: 2004
  • Partial Skeleton

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 33-43 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"-5'8"
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brumette hair; Brown eyes.
  • Skeletal Findings: Two antemortem skeletal clinical manifestation (fractured clavical & lower back condition).
  • Dentals: Numerous dental restorations.
  • DNA: Sample available - not yet submitted.

Case History
The victim was located by hunters, in a rural area of Blount County. The area where the remains were found is just east of the railroad tracks near U.S. Highway 31 South and just southeast of Garden City in the edge of Blount County.
Also recovered near the body was a .22 revolver with five spend cartridge cases and one unspend in the cylinder.
A driver's license of a female was also found. When investigators checked with the license's owner, they learnt that her common law husband she hadn't seen since October 2004 had taken her identification. Upon checking the man's identity given by the woman, investigators learnt it belonged to a man that had died in 1995 (Chad Patrick Singleton, dob: 04/01/1972).

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences
James Perry
256-539-1401 x 210
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
Agency Case Number:
06HV00323
NCIC Number:
N/A
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
UDRS

According to UDRS entry, it appears only a partial skeleton was found.
So...Did the pictures included in the Doe Network page come from the common-law wife? Did LE conclude that her missing common-law husband was indeed the UID?
And one has to wonder what happened to Chad Singleton, and why this UID had taken his identity (if he is indeed the missing husband)....
Seems to me the wife would have learned of the faked identity in the intervening years, if she sought any kind of benefits after his disappearance (then again, I'd be curious as to whether she had ever informed anyone that he was missing.) Alabama still recognizes common-law marriage, but there is no such thing as a "common law divorce"- "Once parties are married, regardless of the manner in which their marriage is contracted, they are married and can only be divorced by appropriate means in the place where the divorce is granted. That means, in all 50 states, only by a court order." (National Conference of State Legislatures website)

I think the implication must be that he was the missing common law husband as the photos clearly show someone living and aren't reconstructions. It still doesn't explain why the description is of someone being 5'0" to 5'8" in height - clearly if they have found the man's common-law wife she must have had an idea of how tall he was "taller than Jim Bob but not as tall as Johnny Ray" at least.

It's also interesting that the age given for the UID is older than that for the person whose ID he was carrying - with a DoB in 1972 he'd have been 32 at the time of his successor's death.

It would be interesting to note how Chad Singleton died - if he was himself involved in drugs and/or crime or whether he died in an auto wreck or of an illness. The reason is that if Singleton had a shady past, the person who assumed his ID may have known him personally; that is less likely IMO if he was a name that could have been plucked from a newspaper.

Another thing to note is that if this UID assumed the identity of Singleton around the time of his death, he'd be a pretty good match in terms of age, coloring, build and time of disappearance for "Jason Doe" and it might be worth looking for a match with those names who have been examined in the context of that case.

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 776

Unidentified White Male

• The victim was discovered on October 31, 2005 in Blount County, Alabama
  • Estimated Date of Death: 2004
  • Partial Skeleton
Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 33-43 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"-5'8"
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Brumette hair; Brown eyes.
  • Skeletal Findings: Two antemortem skeletal clinical manifestation (fractured clavical & lower back condition).
  • Dentals: Numerous dental restorations.
  • DNA: Sample available - not yet submitted.
Case History
The victim was located by hunters, in a rural area of Blount County. The area where the remains were found is just east of the railroad tracks near U.S. Highway 31 South and just southeast of Garden City in the edge of Blount County.
Also recovered near the body was a .22 revolver with five spend cartridge cases and one unspend in the cylinder.
A driver's license of a female was also found. When investigators checked with the license's owner, they learnt that her common law husband she hadn't seen since October 2004 had taken her identification. Upon checking the man's identity given by the woman, investigators learnt it belonged to a man that had died in 1995 (Chad Patrick Singleton, dob: 04/01/1972).

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences
James Perry
256-539-1401 x 210
You may remain anonymous when submitting information.
Agency Case Number:
06HV00323
NCIC Number:
N/A
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case. Source Information:
UDRS

http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase776.html

I have a feeling this dead guy could be a fugitive or a criminal if he was using a dead man's identity or he might not be a criminal

Just to clarify, as I understand it, he wasnt carrying any ID of his own--He was carrying the driver's license of the common-law wife. She indicated to police that she knew the man as Chad Singleton.
I wholeheartedly agree that there is likely some connection to Chad Singleton. He was only 22 or 23 at the time of his death.
I question the inclusion of the photos, if they came from the common-law wife. How can LE be certain this is indeed this UID without a reconstruction or other proof (such as corresponding injuries)? The circumstances match, but I would hardly find that reason for LE to determine that this person is indeed the missing common-law husband. (DNA testing would seem simple enough, comparing the sample gathered to something the common-law wife could provide from the home).
For what conceivable reason would he take the wife's driver's license?

It would be interesting to note how Chad Singleton died - if he was himself involved in drugs and/or crime or whether he died in an auto wreck or of an illness. The reason is that if Singleton had a shady past, the person who assumed his ID may have known him personally; that is less likely IMO if he was a name that could have been plucked from a newspaper.

LOL I was thinking the SAME thing and have come up empty so far on Chad Singletons death hey wait I got an Idea..................

never mind that didnt pan out I tried to look him up in the SS death index NOTHING, I even looked up a guy that I went to high school with (before 1995) that died and HE WAS LISTED gosh

This case is presently being discussed in the Missing-the Unidentified forum, also. This case raises a lot of immediate questions..Where did the photos come from? The common-law wife? How did LE determine it is the same person from some bones (and no DNA test, as of yet)? What if any is the connection to the dead person whose identity he was using (Chad Patrick Singleton)? Did the common-law wife ever report her husband missing?

I tried Chadwick toooo

and then I just did C Singleton and Nothing worked for me oh and then I did the middle name as the first name etc

some people go by their middle names

I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the skeleton's owner had been using the woman's ID not Singleton's. Sounds weird but that's what's written. :confused:

The UID had the woman's drivers license in his possession (for reasons as yet unknown). When LE tracked the woman down, she stated that her common-law husband (Alabama is one of eleven states, I beleive, which still recognize common-law marriage) had left the year before, taking her drivers license with her. She told LE that she knew the man, her common-law husband, as Chad Singleton. When LE checked into this person, they discovered he had died in 1995. The common-law husband had apparently been using the dead man's identity.
As there is no such thing as a common-law divorce (a judge must issue an order dissolving the marriage) it appears to me that the woman may still have been married at the time she was approached by LE. I have to wonder if she reported the disappearance to anyone...
And, of course, under what circumstances did Chad Singleton die? I and a few others have been trying (as yet unsuccessfully) to uncover any information on Chad.

The UID had the woman's drivers license in his possession (for reasons as yet unknown). When LE tracked the woman down, she stated that her common-law husband (Alabama is one of eleven states, I beleive, which still recognize common-law marriage) had left the year before, taking her drivers license with her. She told LE that she knew the man, her common-law husband, as Chad Singleton. When LE checked into this person, they discovered he had died in 1995. The common-law husband had apparently been using the dead man's identity.
As there is no such thing as a common-law divorce (a judge must issue an order dissolving the marriage) it appears to me that the woman may still have been married at the time she was approached by LE. I have to wonder if she reported the disappearance to anyone...
And, of course, under what circumstances did Chad Singleton die? I and a few others have been trying (as yet unsuccessfully) to uncover any information on Chad.

Ah, now it makes sense. So the skeleton was the common-law husband but he wasn't Singleton contrary to what his wife believed?

As a side note, wouldn't the fact that the skeleton had misrepresented his true identity make the common-law marriage invalid? Not a big deal I know I'm curious. Laws governing common-law marriage vary from state to state among those that recognize it. I think the "divorce" in common-law marriage is called "dissolution of legal union" or something similar, it appears quite complicated. A fiend of mine was a "victim" of such a common-law marriage: he (quite foolishly) didn't know that such a status acquired in a jurisdiction where it is legal (in his case, DC) would be considered a legal marriage in states that don't recognize the status themselves, but recognize it as legal marriage if it was acquired in a jurisdiction where it is legal. What started out with two student roommates of opposite sex sharing a flat in Georgetown then falling in love lead to quite a legal ordeal when love vacated the premises in another state.

As a side note, wouldn't the fact that the skeleton had misrepresented his true identity make the common-law marriage invalid?

A good question...As you've stated, the laws concerning common-law marriages are complex and differ from state to state. As I understand the basics, all that are really required are cohabition, consummation, and the declaration of marriage (the couple must present themselves as married to the general public).

I'm not certain how LE made the leap from the woman missing her common-law husband to this skeleton in fact being that man (as no DNA comparison has yet been done). I feel fairly certain she didnt have his dental records lying around, either. That's why I question where the photos on the Doe Network page came from.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmdigital
Back