I had seen this guy's pic elsewhere (on Ohio's missing persons site, possibly) but I also found him on Doe Network.
LE at the time has suspicions that he faked his own death.
Case File 3635DMWV
Jason Scott Adkins
Missing since January 17, 1999 from Huntington, West Virginia
Classification: Endangered Missing
- Date Of Birth: April 1, 1975
- Age at Time of Disappearance: 23 years old
- Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'9"; 160-170 lbs.
- Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes. Dimples, could have mustache or goatee.
- Marks, Scars: Small bump at top of nose, surgical scar from appendectomy, previously broken leg (possibly right).
- Clothing: A brown leather jacket, coveralls, blue jeans and wading boots with inside "Nike" tennis shoes.
- Jewelry: Possibly wearing a silver chain with a "Cross" pendant. The "cross" possibly has "Jesus" on it also.
- Nickname: Scott
Circumstances of Disappearance
Jason Adkins was fishing on the Ohio River with his brother on January 17, 1999 when the boat he was in had engine failure.
Around this same time frame, a barge passing by caused a series of large waves in the river where the men were fishing, and caused the boat to capsize. One of the brothers made it out of the boat and went to call for help.
As search and rescue crews arrived, they reported it appeared as if someone had exited the water in a certain area that was different from where the sole survivor would've left the wreckage.
Police asked the family was it a possibility that Adkins could've faked his death, because he owed back child support.
His estranged wife and family do not believe Adkins faked his death that day, because he only was $200 behind on child support. There has never been any trace of Adkins' body if he did perish in the boating accident.
The family also has a website:
Only a partial skeleton was found...It's possible the right leg was not among the remains, thus the info not being listed for the UID.