Maine woman finds 8-foot snake

graybar hotel

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Maine woman finds 8-foot snake in her washer -
Mara Ranger was reaching into the machine when she felt something move

GORHAM, Maine - A woman got the shock of her life when she found an 8-foot snake mixed in with clothes in her washing machine. The snake, identified as a reticulated python, somehow got into the water pipes of Mara Ranger's 1800s-era farmhouse and slithered into the machine.

After Ranger took her blue jeans out of the machine Wednesday, she reached back into the load and felt something move.

"I jumped back and all of sudden its head starts coming out of the washing machine and it looked huge," Ranger told WMTW-TV.

Continue: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25725071/

OMG! I wouldn't be ashamed to shriek like a little girl!!! :chicken::chicken: I'd be running around, trying to make sure the cats were all accounted for, and then put somewhere safe, and calling Animal Control. I wouldn't move fast when around the snake, I'd slowly back away, maybe try to close the lid of the washer again, and weight it shut. :eek::eek::eek:

At least the snake would have been sparkly clean. This would have been my reaction.
:snake::shocked2::cat:(grab Holly):cat:(grab Rusty):beagle-flip:(grab Benson) :run: :couch:

At least the snake would have been sparkly clean. This would have been my reaction.
:snake::shocked2::cat:(grab Holly):cat:(grab Rusty):beagle-flip:(grab Benson) :run: :couch:

That is hilarious! (The pictures!)

I'd look at it and hollar out "Donna! We have a FREE pet!"

Within five minutes, we'd have it in a tank with new bedding, fresh water, a hide spot and a heat lamp. We'd probably name it something catchy having to do with it's found location and I'd probably feed it Donna's hampster because the hampster bites.

That's life around my house. :)

I love your cliparts! I'd definitely grab our youngest kitten being she's less than 2 lbs.

That is hilarious! (The pictures!)

I'd look at it and hollar out "Donna! We have a FREE pet!"

Within five minutes, we'd have it in a tank with new bedding, fresh water, a hide spot and a heat lamp. We'd probably name it something catchy having to do with it's found location and I'd probably feed it Donna's hampster because the hampster bites.

That's life around my house. :)

You crack me up! My dh would want to do the same thing, tho I'd encourage him to let the neighbor boys have it, being they love our snakes. I'd pass on feeding it my hamster. She has to be the most adorable, affectionate little ball of fur ever. I never cared for snakes much until my dh bought his Nicaraguan Boa.

I love your cliparts! I'd definitely grab our youngest kitten being she's less than 2 lbs.

You crack me up! My dh would want to do the same thing, tho I'd encourage him to let the neighbor boys have it, being they love our snakes. I'd pass on feeding it my hamster. She has to be the most adorable, affectionate little ball of fur ever. I never cared for snakes much until my dh bought his Nicaraguan Boa.

I have a ball python that converts every snake hater to a snake lover that he meets. He's just so laid back and awesome. It is hard to be afraid of something that is less threatening than a kitten.

:blowkiss: Glitchwizard and Kahskye

I'm glad you liked my pictures. I would have been like this :nerves: for a month and definitely for the rest of my life whenever I had to open up the washing machine. Who says housework never hurt anyone? I think I'll dress like this next time I need to do laundry. :soldier: Adopting a snake found in your home may be all well and good if you live in the US but here in Australia a lot of the furless creatures are highly poisonous and to be avoided by anyone who doesn't wear khaki and has the last name of Irwin. They seem to have no problems with them.

I live with my mother and it would have been a very different story if she had happened to be home.

:snake::shocked2::cat:(grab Holly):cat:(grab Rusty):beagle-flip:(grab Benson) :run: :couch: :scream: MUM! SNAKE! :run: :couch: :talker: (Mum) Call someone to come and get it. :talker: (Me) "You call someone to come and get it. I'm staying here." :frown: (Mum) "Just do it, Keely. And hurry up." :mad: "You're my mother. You're supposed to protect me." :mad: "You're 28 years old. You can protect yourself." :argue:
:snake: And the snake slithers away to find a washing machine in a house where there's more peace and quiet.

Kiki...

:laugh::floorlaugh::crazy::applause::blowkiss:

:snake: And the snake slithers away to find a washing machine in a house where there's more peace and quiet.

Actually, they can't hear... and a washing machine is cold. Likely, he'd wait for you to fall asleep and snuggle up to you in your warm bed. He'd be sooo greatful for it!

Well, unless the rinse was warm? Do some washers still have that option?

Actually, they can't hear... and a washing machine is cold. Likely, he'd wait for you to fall asleep and snuggle up to you in your warm bed. He'd be sooo greatful for it!

:scream: I hope not! Just in case I think I'll be getting some new medievil warfare style pyjamas. :soldier: I know snakes can't hear but they can feel vibrations. And he or she would be feeling a lot of vibrations if spotted by me.

Maine woman finds 8-foot snake in her washer -
Mara Ranger was reaching into the machine when she felt something move

GORHAM, Maine - A woman got the shock of her life when she found an 8-foot snake mixed in with clothes in her washing machine. The snake, identified as a reticulated python, somehow got into the water pipes of Mara Ranger's 1800s-era farmhouse and slithered into the machine.

After Ranger took her blue jeans out of the machine Wednesday, she reached back into the load and felt something move.

"I jumped back and all of sudden its head starts coming out of the washing machine and it looked huge," Ranger told WMTW-TV.

Continue: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25725071/

Oh sheesh I just hate to hear stories like this.

It has happened twice in our home and I still have nightmares about it.

First I am paranoid when it comes to any snake.....yeah, any snake...even the fake rubber ones (shudder). This all began in my teenage years when my father collected rattlesnakes to be sent to some University in Texas for medical research. Who had to hold the canvas bag as the snake was dropped in? Oh no not him, that is the most dangerous part, when people can be bitten on their thumbs, when the snake is dropped into the bag. He assigned me :rolleyes:that job and I was scared to death. Now here in Georgia we don't grow scrawny diamondbacks, moccasins or timber-rattlers. They are huge and aggressive especially when being handled.

So about 3 years ago I am sitting here most likely posting on a message board and my little dog, Ruffles is up here with me and she starts looking down the hall and starts to growl and bark and then whips her head around at me like "do something idiot" :crazy: well my eyesight is not the best in the world and our hall is very long so I flip on the light and I see this chocolate long thing that I thought was a sash to my sweater because Ruffles would pull it off of the sweater and drag it around the house playing with it. So for the first few seconds I thought oh shoot that is just your sash girl BUT BUT then it moved and I froze. It was so close to going into our bedrooms and I thought we would never find where it went. Ruffles was watching its every move though and I cant kill any snake, I am too terrified to even get close to them, so I rush to the phone and called my neighbor and he and his son came over in a flash.

That is when the dumminess started. These two grown men thought the snake was a puff adder and was taunting it. I was going ballistic because unfortunately I knew all about snakes and could identify any down here in our area. These crazies were taunting a cottonmouth moccasin who really isn't a nice snake to begin with and gets ticked off easily even without provocation. I finally screamed "kill the da*n snake now" and then they hem hawed for a few seconds saying it would mess up our carpet as if that was the priority. Sheesh. Well anyway they did finally kill it and I told them now I am going to show you how foolish you both are and they took the snake outside. I told them open up the snake's mouth and the daddy did then he turned pale. Oh yeah, there were the big fangs and this snake was around 4 feet and thick around. They completely ignored the slanted eyes and definite spaded head where the venom is stored.

The first one in my home went under my dishwasher and my hubby pulled everything out in the kitchen and laundry room and that one was never found.

To this day if I have to get up in the middle of the night I always have my flip flops on.... before then I would just be barefooted and think nothing of it.

Ruffles was my hero:blowkiss: and she was so intelligent that she knew danger but did not approach but alerted. I could easily have been bitten if she had not spotted the snake and I was here by myself.

Sorry for the long story. Oh did I tell y'all I hate snakes?:crazy:

imoo

Well, unless the rinse was warm? Do some washers still have that option?

Not nearly as warm as KiKi while she's sleeping. :)

To the other post about the guy taunting a cotton mouth (water moccosin) : I'm dumbfounded. I mean, I know some people are dumb, but that's just over the top!:razz:<-- that's for your father! :crazy:

Ocean, I would have had a heart attack on the spot.

One time when I lived in Atlanta, my cat bought a snake in the house. It was a little thing, about 2' long, black, pencil thin. I barricaded myself in the bedroom and called every male I could think of to handle the emergency. Ex-H came rushing home, 2 guys on our street came rushing over ... and by the that time the snake was gone.

A couple of months later, Ex-H's young daughters were spending the night and made the pullout couch into a bed. There in the crevice was the snake, only this time it was dead.

That deadness didn't make any difference to me. I grabbed the girls and we got into my water bed to go to sleep for the night. Ex-H was in the bathroom (reading room) and would be for a long time. I figured by the time he got out, we'd be asleep and he could get rid of the snake and sleep on the sofa bed. I told Ex-H where the snake was.

Well, he showed up in the bedroom doorway (it was dark but a light was on in the hall) and waved a long thin thing at us and said "Is this your snake?", and threw it at us!

We screamed and scrambled up on the bed, standing with our backs against the wall (which is hard to do on a wave-full water bed).

It was a shoelace. Ex-H thought it was the funniest thing. I nearly had a heart attack.

If a poisonous snake showed up, that would do me in right there - I'd die on the spot. If a python was in my house, I don't think I'd live to tell about it. OMG, that would scare the life out of me.

One good thing about Massachusetts is that there are only 3 kinds of poisonous snakes here, and it is extremely rare for anyone to see one. That's fine with me.

I'm scared of wild animals in the house (really, anything other than dogs or cats). When a mouse, chipmunk, or bird comes in here, I just about croak. The dog wouldn't hurt a flea. Instead of protecting me by eating the animal or chasing it out, he watches it like it's on t.v. Despite the fact that I'm squeaking in terror and standing on a large piece of furniture (like the dining room table, which when persuaded by a mouse, I can leap onto in a single bound).

Not nearly as warm as KiKi while she's sleeping. :)

Glitchwizard, that shall never happen. After reading that I've decided the safest thing is to never sleep again. I will be buying lots of coffee when I next go grocery shopping. I expect to have lots of energy.

:coffee::smiliecup::coffeeup::coffeecup: :laughitup::laughbounce:

We once had a snake come into our house in the early 90s. I was in the kitchen getting my things for highschool, Mum was helping me, and I saw my kitten, Rocky playing with a thin piece of rubber. He was batting it with his paws and I said "Mum, where did Rocky get that rubber?" She shrugged and we both watched him for a minute. Then we both saw the rubber move. We both realised straightaway it was a snake! We were both so stunned we ran on the spot for a minute not knowing what to do. We didn't want to distract Rocky cause that's when cats get bitten. Rocky jumped up on a chair at one point and I grabbed him and locked him in our room while Mum went to get the neighbour. I begged Mum to call a wildlife service to remove it (which is the law) but she had our neighbour kill it. I was very upset but so glad my baby was safe. I really miss Rocky. He died last year of cancer at 16 years old.

:shocked2::shocked2: :run::run: :cat::snake:

:blowkiss: Glitchwizard and Kahskye

I'm glad you liked my pictures. I would have been like this :nerves: for a month and definitely for the rest of my life whenever I had to open up the washing machine. Who says housework never hurt anyone? I think I'll dress like this next time I need to do laundry. :soldier: Adopting a snake found in your home may be all well and good if you live in the US but here in Australia a lot of the furless creatures are highly poisonous and to be avoided by anyone who doesn't wear khaki and has the last name of Irwin. They seem to have no problems with them.

I live with my mother and it would have been a very different story if she had happened to be home.

:snake::shocked2::cat:(grab Holly):cat:(grab Rusty):beagle-flip:(grab Benson) :run: :couch: :scream: MUM! SNAKE! :run: :couch: :talker: (Mum) Call someone to come and get it. :talker: (Me) "You call someone to come and get it. I'm staying here." :frown: (Mum) "Just do it, Keely. And hurry up." :mad: "You're my mother. You're supposed to protect me." :mad: "You're 28 years old. You can protect yourself." :argue:

Your post is a scream!!! I love the smilies!

The only good snake is a dead snake.

:blowkiss: Pepper. Thank you. I think snakes should be allowed to live though. :snake: Where's Saint Patrick when you need him? :shamrock:

I have a serious toilet paranoia phobia... reading stories like this about snakes getting into pipes scares the bejeezus out of me. I won't be able to pee for a week, now... LoL

Okay, I have 2 snake stories. We live in West Michigan, and there are very few poisonous snakes in this region, but there are still a few.....

My husband and I had been married about a year and it was mid-summer and it was HOT. It was about 10:00 in the evening and my husband was working out in the barn. In his "spare" time he was restoring a classic car. I come down stairs to get a glass of ice water and there was something laying in front of the refrigerator. I was instantly t.o.'d about it. I thought my husband had gotten into the refrigerator and dropped something on the floor and didn't pick it up. The only light I had on in the kitchen was the one above the stove, so it was fairly dark. So I started to reach for whatever was in front of the fridge.
It moved.

I truly don't remember how I high-jumped to the kitchen table (it was about 10 feet away) and stood on top of it and screamed my lungs out. I'm not ashamed of it. I'd probably do it again if it happened again, too. I must have looked like Michael Jordan going in for a lay up.

My husband came tearing into the house thinking I was being murdered, and skidded to a stop when he saw me on top of the table. I was still pointing and screaming. I said we have to have a foolproof plan to kill the snake because I'm not getting down until the snake is dead. I couldn't reach the phone to call 911 from the table to help him out either, so I said we have to proceed with caution. It took about an hour to actually kill it. (I was still screaming). PHEW. That was exhausting. The snake was almost 9feet long when my husband stretched it out. (You guessed it. I screamed again.)

That was a really long night.

About 10 years ago, we were having trouble with our furnace. It's a boiler system. It would start to power up and then shut right down. We had no idea what was wrong with it so we called a repairman in. We couldn't have gotten a more condescending repairman if we would have put an order in for one. He starts to take pieces apart on it and my husband and I were watching him,and he gets to this fan-thingy and he says, "Here's your problem, you wrapped a rope around the blade and that's why it can't power up." He actually rolled his eyes.

My husband said,"That's not a rope. That's a snake." Just like that. The repairman had it in his hand and he THREW it and I started screaming (it's my job I guess, when I see a snake) and my husband started laughing.
The repairman was visibly shaken. Me too. He put the whole story on the bill.

We live very close to a swampy area. I always look down at my feet when I walk outside. You never know. If you hear me screaming, you can pretty much bet I just saw a snake. I'm quick when I have to be.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back